• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impellers other than factory but factory pitch, Which to buy?

Hi, new here and have a question. Bought a 2003 LX210 with supposidly a high estimate of 90 hours. Seller said one set of carbs had been done and they always took it on the Missouri River. Our first time out was last week and one engine was running like crap, my guess is the untouched carbs. The other engine sounded good, when I hit the throttle there was sound and minimal thrust. Fast forward and I got two new Solas impellers and 3 carb kits. Starting my work and see that the bad impeller side has some rough hits on the housing fins. I filed them down a bit but want to know if its ok or if they need to be near perfect. Oh and shokingly the previous owner sold it when there was a foot of snow on the ground, but the price was pretty cheap for a nice boat. Thanks

Hi, new here and have a question. Bought a 2003 LX210 with supposidly a high estimate of 90 hours. Seller said one set of carbs had been done and they always took it on the Missouri River. Our first time out was last week and one engine was running like crap, my guess is the untouched carbs. The other engine sounded good, when I hit the throttle there was sound and minimal thrust. Fast forward and I got two new Solas impellers and 3 carb kits. Starting my work and see that the bad impeller side has some rough hits on the housing fins. I filed them down a bit but want to know if its ok or if they need to be near perfect. Oh and shokingly the previous owner sold it when there was a foot of snow on the ground, but the price was pretty cheap for a nice boat. Thanks
Pictures are worth 100 words, maybe upload one and we can have a better undersatding and give a better answer.

On topic, I tried out some solas concords this weekend and I didn;t like the loss in MPH. They were suppossed to be factory pitch....???? Any ways I have some 6CW on order and I will report back.

On topic, I tried out some solas concords this weekend and I didn;t like the loss in MPH. They were suppossed to be factory pitch....???? Any ways I have some 6CW on order and I will report back.
Looking forward to seeing your results!
This is long overdue.

Pitch unfortunately does not mean much, unless the same impellers are compared.

--

Glenn called me today to tell me l my 6CW's were pitched and ready to ship and took my money. I guess it's time to search the how to's on impeller swapping.

Glenn called me today to tell me l my 6CW's were pitched and ready to ship and took my money. I guess it's time to search the how to's on impeller swapping.
You will need a big vice, a box wrench or similar and the impeller tool for about $10-15.
Here is the best wrench I know of, adjustable and won't strip the OEM impeller neck, I found it in HD for like $20 (I use a 6ft cheater bar with it... lol)
For the impeller wrench - many use a large crescent, which usually works. But if it is on really tight, may round the corners and slip, these impellers are not made from very hard SS. If you can find a box wrench for the impeller - I think it is kind of between 26-28 depending on where you are on the neck...
You may be better off with one of the "adjustable" wrenches like this - this is my go-to tool for OEM impellers:
View attachment 78892

You will also need a big vice and a cheater bar, a big one, lol.

--

You will need a big vice, a box wrench or similar and the impeller tool for about $10-15.
Here is the best wrench I know of, adjustable and won't strip the OEM impeller neck, I found it in HD for like $20 (I use a 6ft cheater bar with it... lol)
Thank you!!

I forgot to post my update. I went ahead and purchased the 6cw also and I have them installed already, just waiting on Saturday morning to try them out. I will tell you that my other impellers were bad and these barely fit in the tunnel.

20190622_170746.jpg20190622_170811.jpg

@jcyamaharider I’m watching your effort, please keep us posted!!!

Any gap larger than 0.03” between the blades dnd the wear ring is bad, but too close is also not good unless you are riding with the Delrin inserts (like the Seadoo) - but that’s s special wear ring, the impeller should fit basically too tight so it cuts its own groove, that’s the best for performance.

So, what's the gap between the trailing edges of the impeller and the stator segment - after swap? It looks large in your picture... should be sitting just a couple mm apart max.

@jcyamaharider I’m watching your effort, please keep us posted!!!

Any gap larger than 0.03” between the blades dnd the wear ring is bad, but too close is also not good unless you are riding with the Delrin inserts (like the Seadoo) - but that’s s special wear ring, the impeller should fit basically too tight so it cuts its own groove, that’s the best for performance.

So, what's the gap between the trailing edges of the impeller and the stator segment - after swap? It looks large in your picture... should be sitting just a couple mm apart max.
View attachment 98008
It looks like yours, that was the old solas impellers after I loosened them.

The guy is knowledgable and passionate. He is not cheap but he does what he says. And he does not cut any corners, his reworked impelelrs meet all tolerances.
I may do some testing with him on the 6CWs later in the season, so let's keep in touch about this project.
It may even be helpful to you - I think I have a pretty good idea now of altitude differences having just done some 50 awesome hours on LP!
(mostly WOT, lol)

--
I have not had much luck with Impros. My dealer here in Utah sent my impeller to get repitched for altitude and when they came back my RPM's and top speed were less than with the oem impeller. The dealer then sent it back to Impros to get fixed and when it came back I am now where I was with the OEM. I am very frustrated with my AR190 at my elevation. I am only getting about 7050 RPM and about 30 mph top speed. I just did the ribbon delete but haven't tried it yet to see if that did anything. I talked to the other Yamaha dealer here in the Salt Lake area and they use a different company in Colorado to repitch their impellers. I am debating just buying another impeller and having the company in CO do it. I know I should be around 7400-7500 RPM with my boat at this elevation.

I have not had much luck with Impros. My dealer here in Utah sent my impeller to get repitched for altitude and when they came back my RPM's and top speed were less than with the oem impeller. The dealer then sent it back to Impros to get fixed and when it came back I am now where I was with the OEM. I am very frustrated with my AR190 at my elevation. I am only getting about 7050 RPM and about 30 mph top speed. I just did the ribbon delete but haven't tried it yet to see if that did anything. I talked to the other Yamaha dealer here in the Salt Lake area and they use a different company in Colorado to repitch their impellers. I am debating just buying another impeller and having the company in CO do it. I know I should be around 7400-7500 RPM with my boat at this elevation.
I guessed this will be an interesting experiment then... I'm assuming the "other Yamaha dealer" is Dick's Boat Shop?

You can make changes to the impeller pitch yourself, as far as OEM and trailing edge - fairly easy to do.
By simply de-pitching the trailing edges of the blades you can make you engine spin as fast as you want (up to hitting the rev limiter at about 7,900RPM w/o reflash) but it will not make you go faster... You may gain a 1-2mph if you repitch to spin at 7,800 but your hole shot will be terrible if you push the top RPM.

I do not think your max 7,050 RPM with OEM (factory pitched impeller and no other mods) is actually bad at all at 6,000ft (?) elevation. I would not expect much more, frankly. My max RPM are 7,600-7,800 at sea level, Lake Powell (3,600ft?) I'm down to 7,200 or so.

Without supercharger boost there is not much you can do even with an ECU reflash - in those N/A engines - as far as WOT speed.

--

You can make changes to the impeller pitch yourself, as far as OEM and trailing edge - fairly easy to do.
By simply de-pitching the trailing edges of the blades you can make you engine spin as fast as you want (up to hitting the rev limiter at about 7,900RPM w/o reflash) but it will not make you go faster... You may gain a 1-2mph if you repitch to spin at 7,800 but your hole shot will be terrible if you push the top RPM.

I do not think your max 7,050 RPM with OEM (factory pitched impeller and no other mods) is actually bad at all at 6,000ft (?) elevation. I would not expect much more, frankly. My max RPM are 7,600-7,800 at sea level, Lake Powell (3,600ft?) I'm down to 7,200 or so.

Without supercharger boost there is not much you can do even with an ECU reflash - in those N/A engines - as far as WOT speed.

--
I am boating at 4500' with the 7050 RPM number. The ribbon delete helped by about 100 rpm. I think my hole shot is better. I really don't care about top speed. I just want to be able to pull a tube. That test will be happening soon.

6cw impellers tested and jcyamaharider approved! These things are awesome, no issues pulling over 3000 lbs of people/ballast out of the water. We had an insane wave and all of my new moods worked out great. Now back to vacation.

6cw impellers tested and jcyamaharider approved! These things are awesome, no issues pulling over 3000 lbs of people/ballast out of the water. We had an insane wave and all of my new moods worked out great. Now back to vacation.

Nice! Looks like you changed out the impeller housing as well. Was this from the single 1.8L (AR190)?

Awesome, awesome news!!! Damn!
I knew it!
:cigar:

What are the max RPM, if you can look at it. Wonder if I’ll touch the pitch a tad up or down or either side?

Thanks for sharing!!!

What are the max RPM, if you can look at it. Wonder if I’ll touch the pitch a tad up or down or either side?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Mad rpms surfing or wide open? Surfing running about 6300....max about 7400

Nice! Looks like you changed out the impeller housing as well. Was this from the single 1.8L (AR190)?
No I just changed impellers. Yes from the 190 boat

Back