• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Improving my trailer

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am planning the following to my 2016 galvanized trailer

• Upgrading the wheels/tires to alloy/radials
  • Replacing my cracked fenders and brackets
  • Beefing up the fender brackets and adding an attachment point for the lower insider plastic to the soon to be beefed up middle bracket
  • Changing out the bunk carpet to a better one (yes I found a better bunk carpet)
  • Spraying the frame in black epoxy truck bed liner with minimal texture or black epoxy sealer?
So the last one is where I am seeking any experience/advice. I don't like the galvanized look. Will applying an epoxy truck bed liner stick well to the galvanized frame after only a thorough pressure washing? T-rex is the brand I am looking to use as it has less texture when sprayed right and will be a bit glossier. I figure since it will be torn down for all of the mods might as well do it now but don't wan't to sand it if not needed and going the etching primer route adds expense. An alternate thought would be a black epoxy sealer instead of the liner and the same questions apply.

Oh yeah I already swapped out the 5 pin connector for a 7 pin and potted the connections by liberally applying hot glue before sliding the casing over and do have a stoltz roller installed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - Thanks so much. That document is perfect. I love understanding the science behind it. Interpreting the science into real world products I have come up with the following. For about 20 bucks I can get a gallon of biodegradable concentrated coil cleaner to put in my pump sprayer and mix with water to proper ph. Good point on doing a good job. I have seen awful gloss paint jobs so guess I will go with truck bed liner as I don't have the desire to put the time into a full gloss job. I really like the part about if you do it right it will last longer than just paint or galvanization alone.

So when I get around to this in a few weeks I will revive this thread and post results.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dont forgdt some electrical mods. Led lights and running a dedicated ground wire down each side will save you grief down the road. I added flood lights for backing into dark places which have been invaluable. Cam

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I painted my galvanized trailer with spray on truck bedliner when it was two or three years old. All I did was wash it first. It has been about two or three years since, As far as I can tell the trailer is fine and I'm happier with it black. One thing though is that the rough surface of the truck bedliner takes in dirt easily, for instance when I step on the exposed areas with shoes on the dirt on the bottom of my shoes instantly transfers to it and has to be power washed off. Sponges don't work well on the truck bed liner paint. One alternative to braking out the hose is to simply paint over the dirty areas.

Other improvements to consider to the trialer are guide posts/veve guides, boat buckles/self retracing transom straps of you don't already have them and a boat buddy II, ramp n clamp or similar system.