• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

In-Line Bilge Pump?

grady dagenais

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, so i have found a lot on installing a bilge in the transom area - I will do that when I need to pull the water box at some point (and use the posts here), but for this season looking for a quick solution as I don't leave the boat in the water.

I'm not happy with my Yamaha SX230's (2007) ability to empty the bilge area based on what I see.

I'd like to be able to empty the area occasionally when out on the water and when it is docked for only 2-3 days at a time in the event of rain.

Has anyone put a tube with strainer in to the bilge area with an in-line pump on a manual switch?

If so, where did you run it and could you provide some set-up details.
Thinking for my need this will suffice for emptying rain water and in the event that the main bilge fails.

When I do put in float based bilge pump I will have wiring, outlet, and switch already in place.

Thanks

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just open all plugs and raise the bow and the rain water will run out. Obviously not for in water use.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't heard of anyone using that. .. I just installed a 2nd bilge pump to fix the issue but I was already in there changing the steering cables and reverse. Bucket cables and trim tabs. I put in an 1100 gph rule pump with a 1 1/4 diameter hose and through hull out the starboard side.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From what I've read not a lot of water will accumulate in the bilge before it starts to fill the engine compartment. If you install in the bilge (in the transom area) maintenance, cleaning the strainer is an issue. I chose to install in the engine compartment because its easier all the way around.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not happy with my Yamaha SX230's (2007) ability to empty the bilge area based on what I see.
That has not changed in newer models! Still a lot of water left behindat the bottom of the boat with the OEM bilge pump running dry...

Like @Coheeba said, if out of the water - just raised the bow to drain the hull. I do it on a trailer while pulling out - if the ramp is not busy. Otherwise, use a cinder block or something under the jack, to raise the bow.

As far as 2nd-dary bilge pumps, there are lots of good options, https://jetboaters.net/threads/2nd-bilge-pump.16201/#post-278205

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used plastic weld and put mine under the water box but not directly at the bottom so I can reach around the water box and remove the pump from the strainer... Its not the easiest thing but it is ok. Once I learned where the clips were located

grady dagenais

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok guys - obviously pulling the boat out of the water in a no-brainer... And I will do the epoxied pump to the bilge once in there at some point.

I have measured.

With the OEM bilge pump dry / boat in the water - still 8-10 gallons of water will come out.

If the water is coming through the holes to the engine bay 1.) the OEM pump isn't working and 2.) there is A LOT of water in there.

I may try an in-line self priming pump and getting a hose as low in there as possible and will measure how much water comes out AFTER the OEM pump goes off. As I said, this is for when the boat is in the water out for an extended day and to mitigate the rain accumulation while docked for 2-3 days at camp. The boat isn't in a wet slip so "always on and automatic" aren't a necessity - if it gets water out fast with a manual switch when needed is all that counts.

Thanks

grady dagenais

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is what I will do - but your water box is out in this picture - isn't it?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. I took it out to put the scupper in. You could probably do it without taking it out. It was a pain to get the hoses unstuck. I had to heat up the hose. Hell, you could just drop a pump in the hole and it would be 10x better than Yamaha design with the pump in the upper hull!

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am having the same problem. Water in the lower area where the exterior drain plug is. I have not been in the water to bring water in the vessel, therefore, the water coming in is in that back area. By the way I have done the anchor locker seal job and even use a drain plug in it. I think the water is either coming in around the bolts holding the pump or really what I think is happening is that Yamaha did not seal the upper hull to the lower hull, (coffee can attachment of vessel). I am going to bring my led scope down and look at the joint with my wife driving and letting off of the throttle. I will then remove the aft rub rail if necessary and seal the joint. Has anyone done that yet?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might be able to see in the back through the port with a flashlight. There are a lot of through hull fittings back there. My speedo and depth finder we're totally leaking with 1/4"holes, but at the top of the rear tunnels, so normally out of the water.