• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

In search of: 2008 212x Stern Hatch Cover F1T-U518A-00-P0

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Searching for a compatible hatch cover (the lid above the cleanout plugs) for a 2008 212X. Part number F1T-U518A-00-P0 . I'm having some trouble with both the hinge screws failing and the latch making proper contact with the fail-safe switches inside the hatch.

Partzilla and other sites I've found have it listed as unavailable - so I'm assuming I'll have to find one aftermarket or find a compatible part.

Any advice is appreciated.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a picture of the stripped out part? Is the hatch itself in good shape other that the screw holes? Could you epoxy the holes closed, drill and insert the screws? Possibly use stainless machine bolts to hold the hinge to the hatch?

Pictures would help us understand your situation better.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I don't have pics handy. But what I've done at this point is get some slightly larger stainless screws - and there is still enough fiberglass there for those larger screws to bite into. So, that part is good. The problem is the hatch doesn't fit "squarely" into the opening - if I'm saying that correctly. The hinge in question, when all the screws are inserted and tight, doesn't allow the hatch lid sit and rest inside the hatch. So the hinge ends up taking all the downward pressure as folks walk on the deck and on top of the hatch cover. I have the same problem in the front of the boat for the cover above the anchor area. The lid doesn't fit exactly right, and the hinge takes all the load if you step on top. So the screws are slowly getting chewed up and working out.

This is my 2nd season with this boat - bought used of course. Do these lids/covers typically come with any sort of foam backing or seal that gives it some "give" to fit snuggly into or around the area? That was an idea I had - that perhaps something that was there originally was removed by the original owner. As it stands, the covers/lids have no edging - just the fiberglass edge of the cover/lid. Hope that makes sense.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't believe that there is any foam backing on the hatches. Just fiberglass sitting on fiberglass. If the hatches are in good shape and useable it might be worth taking to a good body shop to have them reinstall the hatches correctly.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I don't believe that there is any foam backing on the hatches. Just fiberglass sitting on fiberglass. If the hatches are in good shape and useable it might be worth taking to a good body shop to have them reinstall the hatches correctly.
Thank you - I plan on seeing how much play there might be where the hinge attaches to the boat - see if it'll allow for a better even fit. If not (I'm guessing not....) then I may next try to add some type of seal the either the entire lid edge or just where it's not fitting snug - see if that solves it. Worst case - yeah; might need to have the hinges removed and rescrewed so it all fits square.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@netcourt I had the same issue with the hinges on my hatches. Poorly engineered by Yamaha. My solution was to place blocks of rubber near the hinges to support the hatch. I did that years ago and it has held up. I suggest you try it.