• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Indoor Heated storage for the winter precautions

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys, new to the forum and posting for the first time on here, bought our 2015 ar192 late in the season and it was sad to store it so quickly... anyways, got a good indoor weather controlled storage for the winter (place stores all kinds of boats and other leisure crafts) and was wondering if other than winterizing, should have taken other precautions such as removing the carpets, or cushions covers on or off, etc,

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mouse traps. I fight a running battle with the little buggers at my storage unit. Fortunately, I've only had one make it as far as the boat.

In addition to winterizing the mechanicals, I take everything out, roll up and store the carpets, and put blocks under the cushions to let air flow in the compartments. Since I'm inside as well (unheated in my case) I leave the cover on loose. I figure the longer you leave it stressed by pulling it tight, the shorter its life will be. I actually pull the cover away from the swim platform to let air in there.

The mousetraps go on the swim platform since that is the potential entry point.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

Our boat lives in our basement garage. It is not heated but the temp does not drop below the 50s. The temp and humidity are pretty stable. I just add some stabilizer to the last tank of fuel and start the engines a few times over the winter to circulate oil. I like the leave the cushions partly open so air can circulate.

You may wish to fog your engines instead of starting them to circulate oil. Most change their oil before storing for the winter. I choose to change the oil and spark plugs in the spring.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice! I know everyone has different ideas on how to make sure our boat is safe and ready for the next season, unfortunately for us, I can't access the boat until spring so I'm gonna have to keep my fingers crossed and trust the indoor/heated option works well :)

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Somewhere on here we were given a tip to place dryer sheets all over the boat to prevent mice from making a home out of the boat... also it keeps them from chewing wires and stuff... im.not sure if it is true but we did it last year and we had no issues....... other than constantly finding dryer sheets all spring...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dryer sheets make the boat smell good if nothing else.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Of all the possibilities... what puts me on edge is I can't see the boat until spring so whatever happens during storage is a big unknown!! Lol sorry guys it's a new boat and that's why we r a bit worried! I just wish we had the space to keep it close and an eye on it. Thanks a lot on all the ideas to keep unwanted guests on board.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
might be a side topic, but I was going to call my insurance company and find out who is liable if the storage place burns down and you are out a boat. Does their insurance cover it or your boaters insurance?

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would recommend spraying some insect killer in the boat, you don't want spiders and other critters living there.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some storage places will either offer the insurance for an extra cost and/or may be included in the storage fee. Else, your boat insurance should cover this but I wouldn't assume either one.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anybody wants to share their experiences of how the boat looks after 5 or 6 months of indoor heated storage? Is it dusty, spider webs, muggy ....

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull the batteries out and keep them on a battery tender at home.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I store mine in an underground storage facility here is their website I am not sure if anybody else has someplace similar around the country. http://www.kentuckyunderground.com/services/boatsrv/ I have never had an issue with my boat in the Spring when i pick it up except a little bit of dust on my shipping cover as I store my mooring cover at my house during the winter months. I place 3 dehumidifiers in buckets in the boat to attract any potential moisture as a precaution. I prop open all my storage compartment areas as well and remove towels, pillows etc from the boat.

xedelatorre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I'm hoping for, some dust and that's it!!! thanks for sharing, I'm counting the days t'ill pick up. Do they allow you to see or visit the boat while in storage or is it pretty much off limits until you pick it up in the spring? fyi , ours is also underground and I'm a bit worried about the humidity, too late to add dehumidifiers so they won't let you at your boat unless u request to have it taken out and they charge $100 in that event ...

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can go to your boat and do little maintenance/upkeep but there is no electric or lights to that is tough. If you want to pull it out they charge an additional $35.00 ($17.50 out + $17.50 in)