• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Inspection Cover Replacement

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently changed out my speedometer transducer and had to perform the cable pull twice since the first transducer I installed was bad (shame on me for not connecting it to my speedo on the test bench first). In routing it, I had to remove the starboard inspection plate a few times and when I was screwing it back in I realized that repeated cycles of removal on the stock plates was resulting in the wood being chewed up. It occurred to me that I might want to swap out the stock plates for inspection covers that screw out. I found these http://greatlakesskipper.com/beckson-xe6sk-139-yamaha-jet-8-1-8-inch-boat-inspector-deck-plate
but I'm not sure they will work with the stock holes. My boat is in storage today and I won't be able to get over there until the weekend to check so I was wondering if anyone had the dimensions of the hole on a 2004-2006 AR/SX/SR handy. No sweat if not, I will be able to get the measurements myself soon...but lazy me thought I'd ask! :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's a good idea, mine have been off for 2 years because I got tired of messing with all the screws, if it's not the right size I'm sure you could put a generic one on there, i wouldn't worry if I had to put the screws in new holes

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking of just ordering them, but I'd prefer not to have to make the hole larger. Beckson makes a whole bunch of these in different sizes so I'll do my best to get one that fits the stock hole. But yeah, the single plate design isn't really the best for those of us who wrench on our boats.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this exact thing many years ago. The new holes do not line up with the old holes. But you just make new holes once and thats it. The screws stay put from now on. I've unscrewed the "plate" many many times since then

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this exact thing many years ago. The new holes do not line up with the old holes. But you just make new holes once and thats it. The screws stay put from now on. I've unscrewed the "plate" many many times since then
What size plate did you use? I wouldn't expect the screw holes to line up but the actually cutout hole is what I'm wondering about. With the plates I linked to, the cutout is supposed to be 8 1/8" ID. It's this inside diameter I need to match since I don't want to have to enlarge the cutout.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact details. I believe both the original and the replacement plate were labelled as 8" plates. I also have a vague recollection of having to enlarge the stock hole somewhat. But still it was no biggie. Did it once and never looked back.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They seem to be the size you need. I don't think the existing hole is 6" and is not 10" so 8" is my bet.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to make getting in there easier without the screw hole alignment issues or without replacing the cover. Although the replacement idea is cool. I too poked around trying to find the original homes in that carpet the first time I had that plate off. After that, I left one screw installed and just swung the plate out of the way. That made aligning the original holes a breeze when I was finished.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me see if I understand correctly...you guys are removing the whole plate, frame and all? Why not just remove the plastic center leaving the frame intact as designed? o_O

plate.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Maybe you got the super secret test
Model @Glassman , that had the highly publicized screw out plug feature ;) both boats I have had only had a round plate screwed to the wall for access, or what I like to call, the "not yet tech" feature. ;)

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe you got the super secret test
Model @Glassman , that had the highly publicized screw out plug feature ;) both boats I have had only had a round plate screwed to the wall for access, or what I like to call, the "not yet tech" feature. ;)
Really?

I did not know that. I thought they all had that.

I apologize. Sucks to be you...haha, you know I'm kidding. I'll bet your glovebox locks though, huh? :cool:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well...uh...no it doesn't! Lol

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman my boat came from the factory with a one-piece cover plate. I replaced it with the two-piece style in your picture. Should have been that was from the start, but it wasn't. Yamaha saved $2

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman my boat came from the factory with a one-piece cover plate. I replaced it with the two-piece style in your picture. Should have been that was from the start, but it wasn't. Yamaha saved $2
Agreed...the one piece design is really a poor decision on Yamaha's part.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This inspection plate must be a 23' feature. I can't imagine where it is or what it is used for. As far as I know there isn't one on my 21' boat. Care to explain just a bit so other's can keep up with this topic please?

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The parts schematic for a 2006 SX210 lists the inspection plate as No. 23 on the Deck Hatch 2 diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Boat/2006/SX210 - FRT1100AE/DECK HATCH 2/parts.html
This is the white circular cover that is screwed into the wood that separates the rear swim deck/cleanout tray compartment from the interior of the boat...there should be one on each side of the boat. The port side one is directly behind the battery next to the battery switch below the ventilation exhaust tubes on the AR230. The starboard is in the rear starboard compartment just below the ventilation intake. This allows easy access to wiring and to view whether water is accumulating in the rear compartment below the swim deck.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The parts schematic for a 2006 SX210 lists the inspection plate as No. 23 on the Deck Hatch 2 diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Boat/2006/SX210 - FRT1100AE/DECK HATCH 2/parts.html
This is the white circular cover that is screwed into the wood that separates the rear swim deck/cleanout tray compartment from the interior of the boat...there should be one on each side of the boat. The port side one is directly behind the battery next to the battery switch below the ventilation exhaust tubes on the AR230. The starboard is in the rear starboard compartment just below the ventilation intake. This allows easy access to wiring and to view whether water is accumulating in the rear compartment below the swim deck.
Okay that part is the large oval shaped cover inside the clean out tray compartment, between the tubes. It is removed by grabbing it and pulling, no screws. I fully appreciate the effort you put into finding this and explaining it but I don't think the mystery is solved for me. But thanks Cotay.
I do use www.boats.net but their diagrams are not good quality. The same image found here is much better: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/parts-catalog/parts/boats#/Yamaha/SX210_(Blue)_-_FRT1100AE_-_2006/DECK_HATCH_2

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay that part is the large oval shaped cover inside the clean out tray compartment, between the tubes. It is removed by grabbing it and pulling, no screws. I fully appreciate the effort you put into finding this and explaining it but I don't think the mystery is solved for me. But thanks Cotay.
I do use www.boats.net but their diagrams are not good quality. The same image found here is much better: https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/parts-catalog/parts/boats#/Yamaha/SX210_(Blue)_-_FRT1100AE_-_2006/DECK_HATCH_2
This isn't the inspection plates on the cleanout tray. Maybe you don't have them. These are interior plates that are larger than those on the cleanout tray, but the idea is the same. There are several different types available on the market including the twist out, pry out, and a version that is a flat plate that is attached/removed by six screws only (read: no middle part that can be removed). The problem with the last type is that each time you remove the plate, you need to remove all six screws and repeated cycles of removal damages the wood since you can't line the holes back up due to them being covered by carpet. Yamaha appears to have chosen to use different versions in different boats; some people have the preferred twist out type while other like me have the version that requires complete removal of the entire solid plate.

The solid plate used by Yamaha on my boat looks similar to this type:

Last edited:

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This isn't the inspection plates on the cleanout tray. Maybe you don't have them. These are interior plates that are larger than those on the cleanout tray, but the idea is the same. There are several different types available on the market including the twist out, pry out, and a version that is a flat plate that is attached/removed by six screws only (read: no middle part that can be removed). The problem with the last type is that each time you remove the plate, you need to remove all six screws and repeated cycles of removal damages the wood since you can't line the holes back up due to them being covered by carpet. Yamaha appears to have chosen to use different versions in different boats; some people have the preferred twist out type while other like me have the version that requires complete removal of the entire solid plate.

The solid plate used by Yamaha on my boat looks similar to this type:

Thanks Cotay. I don't think my 210 has anything like that. I consider myself informed now.