• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed my chartplotter/fish finder finally

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i was really nervous about where to mount the transducer as it is a sidescan and it seemed that no matter where it mounted it there would be interferance to one side. I was also not sure where to drill holes back there but with the shop manual I could see where everything was. I mounted the transducer way to one side but haven't checked it in the water yet for sidescan interference. Humminbird has the option to add a 2nd transducer on the other side with a Y cable if I have to in order to get both sides. Chose not to use my cup holder to lint the screen. This location works and I still have access to the ports behind it but I just leave the USB cable plugged in all the time anyways. image.jpg

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats the first one I've seen mounted right there. Looks good. How is quick access to the buttons on your connext screen? I would think you would hit it when trying to reach for the horn button when driving at speed in the seated position, which could potentially be a bad thing.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem reaching any of the buttons at all. I really haven't used the buttons much the times I've been out. I use the joystick for most everything or the touchscreen buttons on the top. The humminbird displays most of what I want anyways so I can leave the connext screen just on the stereo. The fish finder shows my speed, water temp and depth as well as the chart on one screen.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem reaching any of the buttons at all. I really haven't used the buttons much the times I've been out. I use the joystick for most everything or the touchscreen buttons on the top. The humminbird displays most of what I want anyways so I can leave the connext screen just on the stereo. The fish finder shows my speed, water temp and depth as well as the chart on one screen.
I was trying to figure out where to mount my similarly sized Garmin today. My first thought was exactly where you mounted yours, but I was thinking that the steering wheel would obscure the view. I write with my right hand, and I prefer to have the unit mounted on the right side of the steering wheel so that I can operate it with my right hand. I'm also considering mounting it on the dash above the Connext screen, but forward (closer to the stern) on the section that overhangs and shades the Connext screen. What drawbacks do you see with this mounting spot?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tested it there with tape and It blocked a lot of the forward view when seated. I also didn't want to drill holes in the top of the visor. Where I mounted it now it doesnt seem to block anything and I removed the foam rubber mat there. In the future I could put the foam back over it and it would cover the hole if needed.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tested it there with tape and It blocked a lot of the forward view when seated. I also didn't want to drill holes in the top of the visor. Where I mounted it now it doesnt seem to block anything and I removed the foam rubber mat there. In the future I could put the foam back over it and it would cover the hole if needed.
I think that the positives far outweigh the negative of the steering wheel blocking the view. Your location is infinitely easier to install. I'm a bit concerned with how well the dash lip will hold-up to the vibrations and tugging of the mounting screws because it would be nearly impossible to slip any reinforcement into the dash lip. Also, there isn't a nice clean spot to run the wire harness from if I mount it on the dash lip. Once the dash is drilled into, it's permanent. I like how you saved the rubber mat. Did you add any reinforcement under the fiberglass for your mounting screws, or did you go with a bolt/washer instead?
I had considered looking into using a RAM mount to locate the unit in the empty space to the right of the dash, in front of the throttle levers, but it seems like a lot of work and might have more of an "after thought" look to it.
I think that I'll go with your spot and if it turns out that the view is blocked too much by the steering wheel, I'll just look into a Ram mount extension to move it to where I want it to be if I'm planning on using it on a long journey, like Bimini.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MrMoose - I located my Lowrance with a RAM mount in the location that you were suggesting. (the flat area above the throttles).

I had to do a lot of double measuring but I really like the final look. It places the screen just above and to the right of the mouse, keeping it out of my normal view and making it easy to locate and operate with my right hand as well. I am not currently near my boat but would be happy to discuss the ease of install more with you if you'd like.

Nucem140

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was given the humminbird 889 fish finder with side imaging. Has anyone installed one of these on the 2015 24' boats? I am trying to figure out where to mount the transducer and still maintain the side imaging capabilities. The huge monitor is going to be a challenge but I am more concerned about the transducer for now.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently installed a Lowrance system onto my boat, 242LS, and placed my (down) scanner just port of the keel by drilling into the flat section of the metal plate under the port nozzle.
Depending on your mounting hardware this should give you enough room and (possibly with a spacer) place you just below the keel for a clear side view both ways.
My cable was then secured up to the drain line that goes from the deck out the back and ran through that tube. I made a small incision in that tube just before it opens into the deck and then ran the cable up the starboard side to the helm. As for the head unit, mine fit just above the throttle controls with a RAM mount. Yours may be a bit too wide for that location.

I should be near my boat by this weekend and can send pics if this plans works for you.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I try my side scan transducer in multiple locations and couldn't get a clear view of both sides.hummingbird makes a Y cable and you will have to mount two transducers that's what I did

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently installed a Lowrance system onto my boat, 242LS, and placed my (down) scanner just port of the keel by drilling into the flat section of the metal plate under the port nozzle.
Depending on your mounting hardware this should give you enough room and (possibly with a spacer) place you just below the keel for a clear side view both ways.
My cable was then secured up to the drain line that goes from the deck out the back and ran through that tube. I made a small incision in that tube just before it opens into the deck and then ran the cable up the starboard side to the helm. As for the head unit, mine fit just above the throttle controls with a RAM mount. Yours may be a bit too wide for that location.

I should be near my boat by this weekend and can send pics if this plans works for you.
I would like to see pictures of your install please, the mounting and the cut you are referring to.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@JERRY,

I have attached pictures of my Lowrance system. The transducer is mounted under the port engine plate, the drain line is ran through the drain line and a RAM mount supports the head unit. I used 3m 4200 quick cure to seal all holes in the hull and blue Lok-tite on all bolts/nuts.

Bud I sure hope this helps out. If you have more questions than answers just PM me and I'll help out any way that I can.

Word of wisdom - wait for a cool evening to due all the work at the helm. That tight place gets hots and very cramped very quickly!!

Attachments

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great picture, did you cut the scupper out for the wire as well?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I sure did. I cut small "U" shaped hole, just enough for the cable. I haven't seen any change in its performance. It still drains like it's supposed to and no water comes back into the boat. The cut in the engine compartment was sealed with water proof bandage tape. With no pressure in that line I've not seen any water come out of the drain hose.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jerry Ferrera

Here is a better pic of the cable, it's route, and the cut scupper flap.

Attachments

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is how I mounted mine. From the inside there are cable passageways already there so you don't have to drill anymore or use the scupper hose. No problems with them here, I have another on the port side.

Attachments

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gathering all info ready to install a GPS on my boat, the real question which keeps hitting me is, why o why can't Yamaha offer an integrated system. I observe everyone's proplem where to mount, but it would look so neat without an extra screen.
As it happens I will be installing a GPS and fitting the transducer as I like to plot my course or follow an old one, while observing the depth.
Good info guys though, cheers :thumbsup:.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a rumor that the gps will be included in the connext next year.