• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Insurance hunt

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am trying to figure out my insurance for the up coming year. I currently have progressive and have been treated well by them but they do not cover the bahamas. So i have to wade through the mess and see what i can find. Boatus gave me a quote of over $800 per year. But it says it is only for usa territorial waters. The bahamas would be extra. (Progressive was around $500). Sea insure (sea tow) refused to give me a quote due to a one time clain under $800 while having insurance with progressive for 6 years. Next i am going to try state farm and allstate to see what they offer.

Heres my question since i am insurance illiterate... is there a way i can keep progressive but find another company to write a temp policy for bahamas??

Any insite from the great minds on this web site would be greatly appreciated.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Try Foremost - The elite package includes the Bahamas and does not have a size restriction (most ins. restrict to 26Ft boat or larger). When I asked BoatUS (Geico Marine) to purchase the Bahamas endorsement they stopped it when they learned the boat was under 26Ft. 1Ft too short, go figure.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the past BoatUS would waive the 26 foot requirement. If you are traveling with a 26 foot twin engine boat in your group. At least that was my case in 2014. I would call again and ask about it.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Allstate said they will not cover bahamas either... i know some people on here said they had allstate and they were covered... may want to double check.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I called an agenr today .... they cover everything above the 23rd latitude.. this easly included bimini

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Allstate said they will not cover bahamas either... i know some people on here said they had allstate and they were covered... may want to double check.
Allstate covers up to 100 miles from the US coast for boats. That is not all of the Bahamas but does cover Bimini. I pay less than $350 for Allstate coverage.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Must be location.. i got an email tonight that said they dont offer plans in the bahamas...

Good Afternoon Mr. Pender,

I have checked with Allstate Underwriting department and they have said according to the Policy guidelines we would not be able to insure your boat in the Bahamas. According to the Underwriter you may have to reach out to a company that does strictly Boat policies. You might check with a company that sells boats they may know a company to refer you to.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Progressive covers 75 miles but not the waters of any other nation even if it falls within the 75 miles... i assume this is why allstate said no...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of our members here sent me a copy of the wording of state farm. It says specifically they do cover the bahamas above the 23rd

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have checked with Allstate Underwriting department and they have said according to the Policy guidelines we would not be able to insure your boat in the Bahamas.
You are asking the wrong question. Allstate does not cover the Bahamas. Most of the Bahamas is more than 100 miles from the US coast. However everything in Bimini is within 100 miles of the US coast and Allstate covers boat usage up to 100 miles from the US coast.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will ask again amd make sure... i know progressive doesnt care.. they dont cover Bahamian waters.. ill.let u kniw what they say..

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boatus gave me a monster high quote but it even said it was only us and Canadian waterways and inland water... bahamas would be an extra cost due to being in another country.... they would be happy to cover me but for an additional cost of course! They were insainly high to start with..

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Allstate only cover 100 miles
Allstate covers up to 100 miles from the US coast for boats. That is not all of the Bahamas but does cover Bimini. I pay less than $350 for Allstate coverage.
I have Allstate as well and I have received two different answers to this my agent told me if it was with in the 100 miles yes I was covered corporate told me two years ago I was not that once I entered another countries waters that trumped the 100 miles so I have no clue what to believe anymore. For a Bimini trip though it wouldn't concern me very much as more then likely if disaster happened its going to happen on the crossing. If something happened while in Bimini I would do my best to get the boat off the coast of Bimini and back into international waters I don't know the distance is needs to be from Bimini but if I remember correctly it wasn't far. I'm sure no matter what happened I would get Allstate to cover it. This is kind of like the towing services Sea Tow can't pick me up in Bimini but as long as I'm towed a mile or so out they will grab me there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have Allstate as well and I have received two different answers to this my agent told me if it was with in the 100 miles yes I was covered corporate told me two years ago I was not that once I entered another countries waters that trumped the 100 miles
This is what the policy says. There is no exclusion for foriegn waters only a requirement of being within 100 miles of the US. I also have confirmation of this via email from my agent.

23943B50-4B43-4BEF-8166-6804510BE9B9.png

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is how my progressive policy was worded... but they said no. if i can find coverage around what i pay now that says it does cove bahamas then i see it as a win win.. still working on it. I emailled allstate again and i should hear from state farm on Monday. I like state farm because it specifically says it is covered but if they are are sky high as boat us then they will be a no go as well!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is how my progressive policy was worded... but they said no. if i can find coverage around what i pay now that says it does cove bahamas then i see it as a win win.. still working on it. I emailled allstate again and i should hear from state farm on Monday. I like state farm because it specifically says it is covered but if they are are sky high as boat us then they will be a no go as well!
Even if state farm is high for you taste, get it a month or so before you go and swap back to a cheaper policy once you get back.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what the policy says. There is no exclusion for foriegn waters only a requirement of being within 100 miles of the US. I also have confirmation of this via email from my agent.

View attachment 68653
Yep mine is worded the same way so I have never worried about it I figured if I ever had to try and fight them on it I would.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read our policy and it says coastal water only, so I'll be looking for better coverage as well.