• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intake cleaning tool

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
been getting weeds clogging my intakes lately and looking for a tool to help me clean the grates out so I don't have to get in water. Hopefully the weeds in my lakes die off before the water gets to cold, but still like to have a tool as a back up. (reverse trick helps. but couple times even after doing reverse trick, I find wads of weeds hanging on for deer life)

So in my searching, I came across this item

It is a rake which is now discontinued from what I have gleamed in my google searching.
Mercury Part No 830116A 2

So, now I want to make my own.

Hoping the brain trust here can give me some ideas as to what to use for the business end of something like this. To prevent scratching, it has to be plastic or hard rubber. Any thoughts any one? There has to be something on the market that I can buy and re-purpose to the "rake" part of this.

here are some others I came across. These all have metal ends, which I don't want.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sorry! I just couldn't help myself. ;)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look in the toy department for a plastic rake or cultivating tool...

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I guess the intake grate is before the shaft @Bruce He is losing performance prior to touching his shaft/and or sleeve...I think they have pills for that lol.

I think this thread took a turn for the worst lol

I would look at the soon to be clearance beach supplies and the make a PVC fitting set up the has locking pins to size that comfortably reaches the grate from the swim deck. I would link (2) 90s and (1) 45 would let it curve and angle up nicely with only using (1) 10' pvc tube maybe 1 or 1.5" would work for strength. Or use the pvc for the tines as well and coat with bunk carpet. (Home Depot) has free 4" square samples to use.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How about a tine from a bamboo lawn rake? They are about 18 inches long with a defined hook on each tine. You can remove just 1 tine and let your wife use the rest of the rake to pick up leaves on the lawn this fall.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
......... I thought BRP drives had that magical sleeve over their shaft that prevented anything from getting stuck!

How about a back scratcher https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NN6DCN0/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471310255&sr=8-9&keywords=back+scratcher
Yeah, the weeds are not getting to my sleeve. Getting hung up on the grates. Would I like to have clean out plugs on my Chap? Sure. But, I was talking to a guy with a Yamaha at a sandbar recently about our lakes weed issue and he said he doesn't use his plugs to clear them from his grates. Said hard to reach to the grates through the plugs and his plugs get stuck and hard to deal with. That might be a maintenance/upkeep issue, I don't know. So, no magic bullet there I guess.

But - back scratcher is interesting. I'll look into that and the plastic rakes in the toy section.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
there is a company JETXCO they sell impeller jam removal tools. they have a website.

they look pretty simple, but some ideas for people.

1692060737354.png

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Goggles and a coat hanger to hook stuff and pull out debris, shorter length on the bend portion

1692114594343.png