• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Interesting thing happened today.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was out on the water today near the skyway bridge in Tampa bay, My girlfriend was riding on my ski and we were totally alone on the water no other boats or people around.
We started to see a lot of big thunder storms forming all around us, this is fairly normal for this time of year. Having picked up a lot of weeds in the pump we Stopped in some flats where the water was not very deep. keeping an eye out for these storm since the lightning is usually pretty bad , the wind and rain can be unbelievably violent.
I decided to get us the hell out of that area to avoid the storms. After clearing the intake of weeds I hit the start button, nothing happened! Pulled the lanyard and reinstalled it, nothing happened! checked the throttle to insure it was not the throttle positioning sensor keeping it from starting.
I was a bit concerned and worried about her standing in salt water with storms around us. I told her we may have to walk across the flats to get to someplace where a rescue boat can come out to get us.
She was not the least bit worried, it surprised me actually since I was not real happy with out predicament.
She looked at me and calmly said I'm not worried I'm with MacGyver he always gets us out of trouble we will be fine.
I thought ok what could be doing this, then I decided to remove the battery and check it for water, I had no tools other than a pocket knife and a rusted up screwdriver. I managed to get the battery out and sure enough it was very low on water, I did have a bottle of water up in the front of the ski that had been there for probably a year I had forgotten it was there. I added water to each cell of the battery , reinstalled it, had her get ready to go so when I hit the button if it started we could go immediately. I hit the button and it started right away , we made it back and after filling it and charging it for 30 minutes we ran around the rest of the day with no more problems. MacGyver pulled through once again!

Last edited:

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good job She didn't put to much pressure on you.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice going @MacGyver. ;)

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you thank him MacGyver? How did he get there, by jet ski also?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hmm, She really handled that situation well it impressed me actually, her explanation made sense though, She explained that when we are out on the water it is seldom that someone isn't asking me to diagnose a problem they are having or asking me to help them fix something. And it is seldom that I don't come up with a solution or at least an answer for their issue . So when it happened to us she figured it was no big deal.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very nice story. Glad ya both are ok!

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great story. I was born and raised in St. Pete so I know how those storms can get. Also, she sounds like a keeper!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Amazing how much pressure a wife/significant other can put on you so quickly. My wife has learned that I don't get worked up about things, but that if I do, she needs to back off quick.
Glad you were able to get out of there! Storms are no joke!2

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow Jeff ....I thought you were going to tell us that you jumped the battery using one of your patented EZ Locks and an electric eel!!:winkingthumbsup"

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great it worked out and you now know you can never fail her again ;), no pressure :D.

It is nice though when your closest trust you so much, I get that impression when where out on the boat, my Sister-in-law, who's very nervous on water, says she'd never go on anybody else's boat. It's that "airline hostess" syndrome, they look at you and if your not panicking and your calm, so are they.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Amazing how much pressure a wife/significant other can put on you so quickly. My wife has learned that I don't get worked up about things, but that if I do, she needs to back off quick.
Glad you were able to get out of there! Storms are no joke!2
@Speedling my family is the same way... if some thing goes wrong no big deal.. we will handle it... I get my kids involved and help me work through the problem.. trying to building problem solving skills... but if it's bad enough and I turn to them and say "just give me a min" my wife and kids know.... stop bothering daddy and sit queitly untill daddy gets a handle on stuff... lol