• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermediate bearing replacement 2014 ar240

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am working on a customers ar240 and i wanted to post this since there has been in the past inquiries about the subject.
This job started as a seized starboard pump and a failure to start port engine.
Boat is stored on a lift so the customer towed out and trailered to my house to work on.
Come to find out the engine compartment flooded into pirt air box. Port Engine filled with water not starboard (air box up higher)

First we assumed rain water with plug in and bilge pump inop.
Time was ticking so pump out water from engine, fill with oil, find problem with no start, turns out was a bad spot in lanyard.

Pulled both pumps and starboard fired right up.
Got port to start but sounded like a bag of marbles. Shut down and saw this
20230402_111951.jpg

Intermediate bearing waisted, this is where bulk of water came from under slow tow to ramp.

Good news ladies and gents, it was not too bad to remove the housing.
20230402_115638.jpg

Unbolted 4 motor mounts, marking each shim where it goes(all were same thickness anyway)
Loosened exhaust clamps and freed up hose, removed rear water inlet hose. And wiggled engine forward just enough to remove housing.
Not a bad job at all. Should be easy to reinstall.
Waiting for a few more parts to come in this week then i will press the new assembly together, rebuild the pumps and it should be good to go.
20230402_120602.jpg
20230402_120559.jpg20230402_111946.jpg

Did you just move the motor forward by hand ? Removed the top bolt or two lower mount bolts ?
Thanks

Yup. Removed just the 4 center bolts thst go through backet to the mount. After bolts out, i lifted each corner to take out shim and mark them. Then straddled the engine and rocked slightly to move forward. Its still sitting on the mounts, just on the edges with 1/2 inch to spare

Thanks. I really should replace the rubber coupler but didn't realize there was enough room to shimmy the engine forward.

Plenty of room on an ar240 or 242, not sure is the same on other models

Saw this on Facebook.

31D5D3BD-004B-44AA-B67B-0D4C38D83F0A.png

Last edited:
Every time I see a bilge filled with water I post this item thats cheap and works. My same comment why the F arent these things standard for all boats

Finally got all my parts and pumps built and pressed the new intermediate bearing/housing together.
20230408_122515.jpg

looking at the intermediated bearing / housing it gives a good sense of how the water is prevented from coming into the hull. I think there is another seal that the impeller shaft slides through as well. The splines on the shaft slide into the top portion on the picture above correct ? Now that you have been deep into this what are your thoughts of what to use for lube in the bearing housing. Older models had a hose attached to the housing with a zerk by the oil pump. The way to fill was hold the hose apply a few pumps of grease when you feel the hose start to slightly expand stop. The problem was the grease would harden in the hose and give a false sense of adding grease. The solution was to remove the hose from the barb pump the old hardened grease out re attach the house and pump fresh grease until the expansion is felt. At some point Yamaha changed and put the zerk directly on the bearing housing. This was a bad idea with no way to know how full the housing was, its so easy to over fill then blow out the seal allowing moisture in that will destroy the bearings and lead to catastrophic failure that could lead to sinking your boat. In the picture above, showing water pouring in you can see how easy it is to swamp the boat and with no alarm combined with bad sea conditions this could lead to serious consequences.

looking at the intermediated bearing / housing it gives a good sense of how the water is prevented from coming into the hull. I think there is another seal that the impeller shaft slides through as well. The splines on the shaft slide into the top portion on the picture above correct ? Now that you have been deep into this what are your thoughts of what to use for lube in the bearing housing. Older models had a hose attached to the housing with a zerk by the oil pump. The way to fill was hold the hose apply a few pumps of grease when you feel the hose start to slightly expand stop. The problem was the grease would harden in the hose and give a false sense of adding grease. The solution was to remove the hose from the barb pump the old hardened grease out re attach the house and pump fresh grease until the expansion is felt. At some point Yamaha changed and put the zerk directly on the bearing housing. This was a bad idea with no way to know how full the housing was, its so easy to over fill then blow out the seal allowing moisture in that will destroy the bearings and lead to catastrophic failure that could lead to sinking your boat. In the picture above, showing water pouring in you can see how easy it is to swamp the boat and with no alarm combined with bad sea conditions this could lead to serious consequences.
The section that this bolts through does nothing to hold water back. Its just a pass through.
This assembly is all there is to keep water out.
Is you look at the exploded parts view you will see from the coupler side there is seal, bearing, seal, seal, washer. Thats it.
The grease enters between the rear of the bearing and the first rear seal.
The seal that is in front and rear are single. Simple lip seals. The rear most seal is the better seal keeping water out.
It all has to be pressed together in a certain order.
I packed the bearing prior to install.
There is not a lot of room for grease at all once the bearing is packed.
I took the shaft out of the old assembly and there was zero parts left to the bearing except for the outer race. No inner race on the shaft either. That is what puzzles me the most, it cant slide off

All done with the mechanical of this job. Running great. Both pumps installed and did a complete service on both engines. Changed the oil on the port engine a few more times to get real clean. Pressure washed the engine bay and Pressure washed the whole boat
20230409_171010.jpg
Only thing left to do is install customer's Cobra fins. Told him to buy them years ago but this is the first time its out of the water for me to install. Then going to give a complete cleaning and buff the hull.

Back