• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intermittent start on one engine - 2008 Yamaha 212X

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey all, not quite a "help" post, as I'm not stuck. But, I have family coming in a few days to enjoy the boat and it's being cranky (or not-cranky).

One engine no longer starts consistently. It'll click when attempting to start, but doesn't spin. Try again and it may or may not spin fine. I know it's not the hatch switches, as I just pulled them out, tested them with an ohm-meter and manually pressed the buttons to test each one. Port side is fine and does everything expected with both lanyard and hatch switches (lanyard out = spin with no ignition, hatch open = no spin). Starboard won't spin at all with the hatch switch open (which is what it should do), but with the hatch switch depressed, it either spins the engine (and fires up if the lanyard is in) or it clicks once but doesn't spin. The "click" sounds like a heavy relay closing. I'm suspecting it's the ignition key switch, but I'm not keen on Yamaha's $250 a set replacement price. Anyone got anything else I can test or a cheap replacement key set that can be relatively easily wired up?

Just to note... when I say it spins or doesn't, I mean it spins freely and quickly or it doesn't spin at all. It doesn't sound like a starter isn't getting enough power and I use a battery booster when I'm trying more than once or twice anyway.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like the starter relay( if these boats have them) is bad. Very common on their ATV's also. I have replaced 2 on my rhino and one on a raptor.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not think it was the key switch, we don't hear about those going bad,

Did you look at the posts in the FAQ about changing a starter,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-replace-a-starter.118/

the first one sounds like your issue and it ended up being loose battery terminal (but also shows the starter relay in the ECU box)

I would also try to jump the starter terminal posts to see if it cranks to help isolate if it's the starter or up stream,

keep us updated,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@smthng. First off, excellent analysis. Usually we have to go through 3 iterations of Q&A to learn what's really going on.

You have the same generation ( different model & year) of boat as me. Your starboard engine is clicking, intermittently, but not always starting. This is most likely 1 of 3 issues. I will prioritize. 1) loose or corroded connection. Most likely at the starter motor but could be at the battery. 2) Burnt contacts on the starter relay located in the ECU box on the back bulkhead of the engine compartment. 3) moisture, water or a corroded pin in a modular connector behind the access plate inside the rear starboard storage compartment. My guess is the starter relay but the other two possibilities are quicker and easier to check. The problem I had was water in a modular connector. You can easily swap ignition switch connectors to prove/disprove that theory.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can also be the starter itself.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can also be the starter itself.
Good point. To prove that you can hit the starter with a hammer while someone is holding the key in the start position. If it starts you have a dead spot in your starter.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good point. To prove that you can hit the starter with a hammer while someone is holding the key in the start position. If it starts you have a dead spot in your starter.
Or next time it there’s an intermittent no-crank feel the starter to see if it’s getting warm.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll summarize in one post...

@Scottintexas Yes, I saw both the posts about the starter and relay issues. I have a new relay supposedly arriving tomorrow. I was hoping to see a picture of an actual relay in the ECU cover and how it was connected, as there appear to be either bullet connectors OR a bullet and ring. I ordered the bullet and ring type, I'll rig it if it turns out to be the other one. Also, I checked the battery terms, but I'll hit them again... I "hand checked" them, not "wrench checked".

@Gym If it is the starter, it won't matter... that doesn't get me on the water before friends leave, so I'll rent something if that's the case and add the boat to my list of chores for the next couple weeks. :S But, if it's not any of the above, I'm interested in your "access plate inside the rear starboard storage compartment" statement. Uh... there's a something under the seat behind the captains' chair? I don't think I've opened that seat since I bought the boat and found out that most of it is taken up by a giant water bag. :S I'll take a look. Thx!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gym I'm interested in your "access plate inside the rear starboard storage compartment" statement. Uh... there's a something under the seat behind the captains' chair? I don't think I've opened that seat since I bought the boat and found out that most of it is taken up by a giant water bag. :S I'll take a look. Thx!
I think he's talking about the connector that you would hook the YDS up to, your model may have a circular panel on your starboard engine wall that you can take off to access them,

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct @Scottintexas. It's the 9 pin connector for that engine.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
YDS connection is not located behind a circular panel on our boats. Arrow shows connection point.YDS.jpg

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do have the YDS connector buckbuck posted a picture of. It's all good. I cleaned up all the ring terminals on the battery (they were in good shape already), checked everything was tight again, checked all the cells and voltage and put the booster back on. No change... would still try to spin only about 25% of the time. I jumped the starter relay with a wrench and it spun right up every time. Not something I want to be doing on the water, but I suspect I'll be in ship shape once that replacement relay arrives later today. I'll post a pic of the old one in the case (as that's about the only one I couldn't find) and slap the new one in over the next couple days. I only have an hour here and there to handle this, so it'll take a bit. Thanks all, I'll post up final results when I'm done!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I take cash, credit cards, and PayPal. :D:D:D