• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

iOS 8 warning

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dumbass jumped the gun on this and downloaded it today on my 5s. I would wait. It's got some cool features, but it's killing the battery. It's a noticeable difference. I used the phone a normal amount today and the battery is just about dead.

I've read similar complaints today on the internet.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Might be an app you have that's drawing location services where it wasn't before maybe? I updated my 5S and haven't noticed a difference.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed that I had to go back and redo a bunch of my settings like notifications, location (there are a lot that try to track where you are all the time that have no useful purpose), background app refresh, videos automatically playing on FB...
Mine seems better after resetting all that stuff.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've noticed that I can't post pics here on jetboaters.net anymore with my iPad since I updated to ios8 :(

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Do they have a fix yet for the pic upload to iOS8?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg Just testing, I'm using Chrome to view the site on my iPhone with iOS8.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
good tips. I am willing to try anything to not be tethered to a charger!!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can turn bluetooth off as well if you don't use it.

I updated my 4S and noticed the battery drain. It's down to 25% this afternoon after being on the charger overnight. I haven't used it at all, just been in my pocket all day! I did notice that almost all my apps are tracking me in "location services" turned that off today and will hope for the best.

On my wife's phone upon trying to do install it gave something to the effect of "software update failed, unknown error". Then it was gone. All of it. Long story short eventually got it back with iTunes (on the third try) after restoring to default factory settings and many hours of wasted time reinstalling everything off the backup. Make sure you do a backup before installing, otherwise EVERYTHING on your phone would be gone.

I usually wait on this stuff, now I remember why.

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've noticed that I can't post pics here on jetboaters.net anymore with my iPad since I updated to ios8 :(
What?? If this is the case, I'm not going to update yet.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 6 and have had no issues....phone has about 25% charge left and hasn't been plugged in for over 48 hours (sort of doing a test to see how long the battery lasts)

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
ALWAYS wait for at least the first update (i.e. 8.0.1) if it's a device you HAVE to have work. I might do 8 on the iPad, but not the phone for some time to come.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
my daughters updated their 5s's. They are seeing wifi connectivity issues all of a sudden with the update. Their data usage has blown through the roof over the past week and I'm going to drop the hammer on them.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not noticed the battery drain like others, but I have noticed applications freeze up and kick me out pretty frequently.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well shit, thanks for the warning! I'll hold off on this update :sour:

Reactions: 007

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
my daughters updated their 5s's. They are seeing wifi connectivity issues all of a sudden with the update. Their data usage has blown through the roof over the past week and I'm going to drop the hammer on them.
I see the same issue. Wifi crawls and your kids are probably turning off wifi and surfing the net on cell.

Those Apple nerds better be working 24/7 to get an update out to us.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yet another reason to avoid Apple......Now one of my moronic kids is asking me how to take IOS8 off of her phone and put the old system back on. Can this be done? Why don't they listen???? Go DROID and have no issues! So, can the process be reversed?

Last edited:

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I have heard you cannot reverse it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From what I have heard you cannot reverse it.
This is understanding as well. My wife maintains all of our apple products and having wasted a lot of time backing up and restoring them she has adopted an "if it is not broken don't fix it mentality" which works until she is forced to upgrade the os by iTunes.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You are never forced to upgrade iOS, only strongly encouraged by the software. You are correct about not being able to reverse updates. Once it's installed, you are stuck with it for better or for worse.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And now some buzz around the iPhone 6's ability to bend. That sounds like an undocumented feature and some tech writers are recommending to wear looser shorts when putting the phone in your pocket. Pretty funny

Reactions: 007