• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is 25W worth $300?

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So my existing configuration is a Fusion MS-RA70 head unit, Rockford Fosgate R400-4D (driving 4 cabin Polk DB652s - 75Wx4) and a Cerwin Vega B52 (driving 2 tower speakers). On a whim, I purchased a Rockville 8" powered sub (RTB80A) and was extremely disappointed. My goal is to get a bit louder so I can hear the stereo at wide open throttle. In my mind, I have 2 options:

1. The R400-4D will give me 100x4 at 2 ohms rather than how I currently have it wired at 75W at 4 ohms. I could rewire the speakers at 2 ohms to get the extra 25 watts from the 4 cabin speakers, or

2. Purchase a new amp such as the Polk 4000.4 (or a different 100 x 4 RMS) which would give me the full 100 x 4 at 4 ohms but the new amp is about $300 from Amazon.

Which would be a better choice?

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Add more speakera and another rockford amp.

75W from that rockford amp should get very loud, are you sure your amp is clipping (out of power) vs the speakers running out of excursion?

Banditgrrr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm actually going to tune the Rockford Fosgate amp tonight. I just bought an o'scope so I'll be able to make sure it's not clipping. I thought about adding a couple more speakers but on my boat, there's not much space to mount them. I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Meant amp. My bad.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Taking an amp to 2 ohms will make it product more heat. On those hot summer days I want my equipment running as efficient as possible. That is why I choose to add more amps and run everything at 4 ohms. Also remember that you are not getting a full 75 watts. That rating is at 14.4 volts. we are usually running around 12.5-13.2.