• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is a Yamaha 195 good for experienced Slalom skier?

Jon D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2007 SX210 (twin 110hp MR-1 engines) is out of commission and I am potentially looking for a newer replacement. You don't hear this often but I feel like I can downsize a bit and am interested in the 19' boats but don't want to sacrifice water sports capability. I know the 195 has more horsepower but with the single jet not sure if it has as much low end thrust and also saw some video reviews where it appeared to have a lot more jet spray farther back than I think my 210 has. I don't think my 200+ lbs is going away and I'm not getting any younger plus I like to ski 15 off and cut/pull hard through the wake so don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't work well for me so any decent slalom skiers out there that can provide first hand insight?

And I know I should get a real ski boat for my skiing but my retirement plans don't agree with that plus I don't want to need to get a pontoon boat for cruises around the lake with a few friends.

Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you are going to use a 19 foot Yamaha 195 for slalom skiing you will definitely want to add my Super Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe steering system to it so you get out of the hole quicker due to the plaining surface, and so you can lock the back of the boat so the skier does not pull it all over the place due to the adjustable super fins plus help clean the wake for all water sport activities. not to mention have improved control at all speeds in wind current and waves.

Attachments

Jon D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are going to use a 19 foot Yamaha 195 for slalom skiing you will definitely want to add my Super Ultimate AK-19 Deluxe steering system to it so you get out of the hole quicker due to the plaining surface, and so you can lock the back of the boat so the skier does not pull it all over the place due to the adjustable super fins plus help clean the wake for all water sport activities. not to mention have improved control at all speeds in wind current and waves.
I put your fins on my 210 14 years ago👍

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I put your fins on my 210 14 years ago👍
A must have for slalom skiing especially if the skier is an accomplished one I also grew up slalom skiing

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
It depends on your expectations.... if you are used to running a slalom course at 34 mph and 32 off behind a purpose built ski boat with speed control then you will be sorely disappointed; even when my 12 year old wakeboards, she's pulling the stern slightly...

Compared to your 210, not that different....

As far as power to pull the skier up, no problem.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2007 SX210 (twin 110hp MR-1 engines) is out of commission and I am potentially looking for a newer replacement. You don't hear this often but I feel like I can downsize a bit and am interested in the 19' boats but don't want to sacrifice water sports capability. I know the 195 has more horsepower but with the single jet not sure if it has as much low end thrust and also saw some video reviews where it appeared to have a lot more jet spray farther back than I think my 210 has. I don't think my 200+ lbs is going away and I'm not getting any younger plus I like to ski 15 off and cut/pull hard through the wake so don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't work well for me so any decent slalom skiers out there that can provide first hand insight?

And I know I should get a real ski boat for my skiing but my retirement plans don't agree with that plus I don't want to need to get a pontoon boat for cruises around the lake with a few friends.

Thanks!
so I take it you are happy with the 210? If so I think you will be okay with the 195 and the advantges of 19 footer are countless compared to a 21 footer.

note: this comments is coming from someone who cannot even kneeboard let alone skiing or surfing or anything of that sort

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i take it you have recovered and are back working again?

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I slalom behind our AR195 in Utah between 5,000-7,000 elevation. No real issues skiing unless temps are high - such as unexpected flat water in the afternoon. If you are getting out on the water in the morning with the fishermen, it should be cool enough to be a nonissue. I do pull the boat around a bit (195lbs). Adding weight results in a bit of a steeper & stiffer edge to the wake, so I am always happiest with just a driver and flagger when I can get away with it. Keep Weight centered in the boat for the best results.

I am self-taught and just started skiing last year. I ski at the full length of the ski rope so I cannot speak to the wake characteristics closer to the boat. the jet spray will definitely be an issue at shorter lengths, but if you are slaloming, you are only in the spray for a split second. If I am holding position behind the boat, waiting for speed or a wake to pass, I usually ride a little to the side at the lead edge of the wake and that makes any spray a nonissue.

I am transitioning to a different boat this year or I would add the fins and GPS throttle control. When I can hear my fin screaming and the sky starts to turn to plaid, the wife has stopped paying attention to how fast I am going.

I am happy to answer any other questions you may have. Although, there are likely much better skiers out there that can provide better insight.