• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is the 19ft Yamaha Enough for a Boat?

VirginiaNick09

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello, have been watching Yamaha boats for a number of years now but my question is this, is the 19ft yamaha boat enough? For me, it's between the SX195 or the AR240. The 195 won't break my budget, could fit in the garage, and is easy to transport as my truck wouldn't have a problem towing it. The AR240 is everything I want in a boat but I feel that it's definitely high in price, twice the amount of gas, may need to upgrade my truck, storage would probably add to the expense list, etc. So bottom line up front, has anyone found that the 19ft series boats are all that they could need/want and why?

Adubbs76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It would depend on how many people you generally boat with and how you intended to use it. Have you looked at the 21 foot boats? It might be a good compromise. I fit 7 adults comfortably in my 212. We use it mostly for cruising and days at the sand bar. I would error on going slightly bigger than too small. I don’t think the twin 1.8s will double your fuel consumption the 195 is supercharged. I have always been a firm believer that you can afford more boat than the gas you need to put in it. I average about 6 hours of run time per weekend and about $100 in gas at $3.85 pg

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My SX192 suits my family well and does everything we need it to. We normally ha e 4-6 on the boat. I regret not getting a tower. My biggest driver at the time was that it would fit in the garage and it was very affordable. I would argue the twice amount of gas comment though. The supercharged boat gulp the gas and the 195 requires premium fuel.

Most of will say buy your second boat first. There is some truth to this. However, you ha e to do what is comfortable for you. You said the AR240 is everything you want in a boat. That is the same for me. You will likely always have that comment in the back of your head and have a little regret and jealously when you see another one on be water. Save some money and get a lightly used, well car d for one. There are a ton of great people one this site and there are always some good ones up for sale. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy it any way you go.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was in a similar position when I first started shopping. I was looking at 18 foot seadoo challengers, they had enough room but we could tell they were already tight with 2 on board. The single engine was fine, but I always had it in mind I wanted dual engines for security if i took it on a trip to bimini ot something.

I looked, thought, watched videos, sat in boats, and ended up deciding the 18 foot would be fine, but I'd eventually want to upgrade. At that point, it made no sense to get the 18 foot knowing it wasn't the right boat, just the boat for right then. So I looked around and bought my sx230 used.

So that's my advice, bite the bullet and buy the bigger boat now, and you wont regret it. The dual engines wont have to work as hard as the single, so it wont ne double the gas, and storing it at a marina is way more convenient, so that means you dont have to upgrade your truck (cost savings!).

Adubbs76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just looked at Boat Test numbers

195 at 52mph 20 gallons per hour 212 24 gallons per hour

195 Cruz at 24 mph 7 GPH 212 30 mph 10 GPH. So not really much more fuel.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I currently garage my boat. Next year we may try dry docking at a large marina. Yes it's going to be an added expense to the tune of around ~$1200 annually BUT I'm also trying to weigh in the intangibles that don't really have a dollar amount (time, wear on my body pushing the boat in each time, etc) as well as weighing in the added gas and wear I consume on my tow vehicle. So without diving deep into the numbers, on the surface it sounds like it might be a wash about if it's truly more expensive to not keep a boat at your house. A lot would depend on how far you boat. One disadvantage I'll be faced if we switch to dry docking is the ease of choosing a lake to visit for the day or weekend, so choosing a good 'home lake' for the season would be very important. That being said garage boating and the ability to walk to you boat at any time is damn near priceless. Ugh hard decisions to be made next year with or without a Yamaha.

As for fuel consumption.... that all depends on how you use the boat. Sometimes I can make a 30 gallon fill up last all weekend with leisure cruising and lots of floating in a cove while other weekends I can burn through a tank of fuel in a day. Rarely do I ever have to refill on the same day so marina price gouging fuel costs isn't really a factor even for my supercharged engine. Just depends on how you are going to use the boat for that given tank of fuel. I've actually been surprised how far it seems to last when not blasting about or pulling ballast. I like to cruise at 25-28 mph most of the time.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, have been watching Yamaha boats for a number of years now but my question is this, is the 19ft yamaha boat enough? For me, it's between the SX195 or the AR240. The 195 won't break my budget, could fit in the garage, and is easy to transport as my truck wouldn't have a problem towing it. The AR240 is everything I want in a boat but I feel that it's definitely high in price, twice the amount of gas, may need to upgrade my truck, storage would probably add to the expense list, etc. So bottom line up front, has anyone found that the 19ft series boats are all that they could need/want and why?
We would need a lot more info to answer this question with any kind of accuracy. Where do you plan to boat, how many people do you expect to have on the boat and how do you think you will use it most going to a sand bar or water sports? My experience in a 19ft Yamaha was enough to know it was not a boat for me but that for sure doesn't mean that it is not suitable for some just depends on your situation. If money is the main deciding factor I would recomend the same as @REM835 look for a used 210 or 240 before buying a new 190 just based on price point.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Next year we may try dry docking at a large marina. Yes it's going to be an added expense to the tune of around ~$1200 annually BUT I'm also trying to weigh in the intangibles that don't really have a dollar amount (time, wear on my body pushing the boat in each time, etc)
It is so worth it you will likely not go back from doing this.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is so worth it you will likely not go back from doing this.
I can totally see this being the case too. Since my wife helps me push the boat in and out sometimes this has been a surprisingly easy sell to her. I don't even have to use any safety cards or tricks :D

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can totally see this being the case too. Since my wife helps me push the boat in and out sometimes this has been a surprisingly easy sell to her. I don't even have to use any safety cards :D
This was a deciding factor for us as well biggest thing we noticed is we used the boat more as it was nothing now for me to call on wednesday afternoon and have them drop the boat and we would show up after work and go have dinner on the boat and just leave it in the water for them to put up in the morning. I would literally say we doubled or boat days the first year we did it.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We would need a lot more info to answer this question with any kind of accuracy.
I have to agree with this...we need to know a lot more about your boating expectations in order to help you out. As for me, I actually downsized to my SX190. When the kids were here and more folks were doing more activities involving the boat, we needed something larger and I had a 28' cabin cruiser then. Now, there are no kids, except the occasional grandkid visits, and the watersports are less demanding, I wanted something my wife and I could easily launch and recover, keep in our garage and still go fast. 4-6 people max is all we would ever carry which is a piece of cake for a 19. I can see both sides, my brother in law has a 2009 232 Limited S and the amentias and size are good for him....just way too much for me. Also, a boat that size today is a hard pill to swallow with today's prices.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a whole class of boats in between the 19 and 24 footers... The 21 foot might just be a good fit too, I went from an 19ft I/O to the 21ft Yamaha and its just enough more space with all the performance you could ask for.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just looked at Boat Test numbers

195 at 52mph 20 gallons per hour 212 24 gallons per hour

195 Cruz at 24 mph 7 GPH 212 30 mph 10 GPH. So not really much more fuel.
The 195 requires premium unleaded while the 21 series does not. That’s a bit of a consideration. Not a deal breaker but just important when doing a comparison of fuel

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey Nick, Welcome to the family!

Hopefully my insights can help you out a bit. We picked up a 2017 AR190 last summer, it has been an awesome boat, it got us out on the water, it had room for a few friends, we learned to wakeboard, did lot’s of tubing, and even a little surfing. We went with the AR190 for a few reasons, fuel economy was one (and it didn’t disappoint there), price point was another, and being first time boat owners, the single engine, smaller boat just seemed wayyyyyy less intimidating.

Well..... this year, we were really starting to surf some more, get some more time out on the boat and think about starting on our upgrade list (ballast, tower racks, stereo, seadek, ridesteady .... the list goes on).

While I was pricing out some accessories, online and with the dealer, I started to think... hey... most of these things (except the ridesteady) are standard on the 212X....... Plus, it has a tandem axel trailer, two engines, it’s a bigger boat, more versatile, not so big that it won’t fit in our storage area, etc. and thought... well, I may as well call the dealer and find out what it’s worth.

So out came the phone, and down the road to more debt I go. In the end, though we paid for the pleasure of trading in a one year old boat, the dealer worked with us and helped us move up to a 2017 212X for a very fair price. The way we looked at it, over the next 2-3 years, we would spend as much on upgrades, and those payments would be, and in those few years, we would likely be looking for a bigger boat anyways... so that’s where we went, it ended up being worth our while to trade up to the boat that gave us almost everything we wanted.

So, the reason I wen’t through this whole story.... last year, when we were in the dealership, we actually sat in the 212X that we bought, I read the advice on here to buy your 2nd boat 1st, and even the dealer said something along the lines of we will see you in a couple years when you upgrade to one of these. (No, we didn’t believe him at the time).

But there we have it, just a bit more than 12 months later, we now have a 21 foot boat at the dock, the things that intimidated us before (price, size, fuel consumption, maintainance on two engines) haven’t really changed, it’s still a big boat, but the extra space in the bow is great, the upgraded stereo is fantastic, I much prefer tandem axel trailers, twin engines have a pile more get up and go, the windshield sits up higher, the two captains chairs are nicer, the wind dam slows a cold breeze, the connex screen is a nice feature, I can control the radio from where I am (helm or swim deck) not the passanger glove box, I have a deapth finder, I like the table for lunches on the water, the interior finish is much nicer, better anchor locker, hinged seats, the list goes on and on, but in the end, I truest feel that we upgraded to much more boat, and if I could do it differently, I would go with my 2nd boat 1st, like everyone says.

Whichever you go with, I am confident you will love it, we never had any trouble with our 190, and I still feel like that is one of the best boats on the market, single engine, great on fuel, it had everything we needed to have a blast on the water and fall in love with boating, we didn’t trade out of that boat for any reason other than we wanted a bigger boat, if that size is what you want, grab it and don’t look back, you will love every moment of it!

Oh and ps: We honestly thought we were buying our second boat first. We were originally looking at the Bayliner element, or another used 18ft boat, and went with the AR190 planning to keep it forever...... so if it is within your budget, don’t hesitate to move up to, at least, the 21ft boats and save yourself a costly trade down the line if you think there will every be a chance that you may want to do so in the future

If you have any specific questions about either boat, reach out anytime. Always happy to help!

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, just to answer your questions straight up (forgot to above, sorry).

Title Question: Is the 19 foot Yamaha enough for a boat?
- Yes, they are an amazing boat, and you will have a blast if that is what you choose.

Post Question: Has anyone found the 19 foot boat is all they could want/need?
- We upgraded, not because the 19 foot didn’t meet our needs, but because it wasn’t all we could want... for us, we wanted the features that we could only get by moving up.

Hope that my ranting helped, best of luck!

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have AR192, its comfortable up to 4 people, beyond that it’s not a pleasure cruise. I prefer going to lake weekdays due to the larger swells and chop created by heavy boat traffic. Not fun when leaving no wake zone and encountering 2-3 ft swells. otherwise it’s a trade off single engine vs double engine.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nick, my welcome as well!

We decided on the 210. Then I went and talked to my boating buddy. Went though all of the decision (jet vs other, where to keep it, etc.). He says, you are ready to go. Just one more thing. Yes? Get the 24'.

Of course, that was not in the budget and not in the plan. But, as he explained, I have a family of 5. Three boys. If each brings a friend, we are uncomfortable on the boat. If we bring another family of 5--um, no can do. He says each of those is solved with the 24 foot. And the second boat first thing, etc.

You may check my profile to see how the story ends. No regrets. But how you are going to use it is key. Some people float just as a couple all the time. Some have kids and do tubing and have friends out all the time. How you will use it will affect what you do.

Let us know how we can help!