• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is the 212x wake surf able?

rickt61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So need your help. I just tested a 2019 212x . Had my wife, the salesman who is easy 240 pounds and myself 230. They were nice enough to let me bring s friend to try to surf behind the boat. Filled all the ballast tanks to 100 % and no matter wihat speed we tried he could not let go of the rope because he didn’t have enough push. Before you ask he is a very good surfer and has been doing it for some time. So I guess my question is what do you need to do to surf behind the 212x? Does the wakebooster make that much of a difference? Do you need more ballast? Thanks for you help, I don’t want to pull the trigger on one until I know we can really surf behind it.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You are going to want the custom transom bag from @jcyamaharider We have a 15 and fill both bags under the seat 400 each and then have the custom transom bag on the swim deck no wedge/wake booster/tv wake fins
We can go ropeless as long as our skill allows now 8DE9A434-3BFF-4E6F-942F-CE085CA73420.jpeg

rickt61

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Your wave looks great. So you just added the one swim platform bag?

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pretty much... the stock bags I think were 350 each with water bed fittings that leaked for me so I swapped out to 400# fly high bags with the quick connect fittings... so pretty close to stock weight but different bags

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the OP @rickt61 posted twice in different threads.

These boats are special as far as the design and I would NOT buy one specifically to wake surf, but I also wouldn't give up too easily if surfing is just one of the activities. The best wake generated by a Yamaha can be on par with many dedicated wake boats. It is common for even the most expensive wake boats to still need and use aftermarket ballast.

You can throw a decent wave without the booster or the wedge, @bobbie here has shown us plenty of pictures, with just swim deck ballast.

These boats have a recessed transom and the "rear locker" ballast ends up being more mid-ship. Large amount of ballast on the swim deck is a must. The best way to accomplish this that we know of is with the Gatlin custom Transom Ballast bag.

With some aftermarket mods you can have an adult of any size surf ropeless behind those boats.
The main limitation as I see it is in switching sides, that has been proven to be a PIA. If your crew can all agree on surfing on one side only (be it regular or goofy) - you are in good shape. If you need to switch sides often you may be better off looking elsewhere, IMO.

--

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So need your help. I just tested a 2019 212x . Had my wife, the salesman who is easy 240 pounds and myself 230. They were nice enough to let me bring s friend to try to surf behind the boat. Filled all the ballast tanks to 100 % and no matter wihat speed we tried he could not let go of the rope because he didn’t have enough push. Before you ask he is a very good surfer and has been doing it for some time. So I guess my question is what do you need to do to surf behind the 212x? Does the wakebooster make that much of a difference? Do you need more ballast? Thanks for you help, I don’t want to pull the trigger on one until I know we can really surf behind it.
How big of a priority is surfing (and perhaps other watersports)? Is it solidly second place (or less) to other uses for the boat or is it something you're going to want to do a lot? I only ask because it sounds like surfability is a deciding factor in whether you'll buy the boat. No doubt, these are awesome all-around boats and can do surfing duty with the appropriate accessories and mods. I'd wager, though, that it would be pretty difficult to get them to a point where they directly compare to a boat that comes from the factory with surfing and wakeboarding as a design priority. From factory integrated ballast with a LOT more weight to GPS speed control to built in wake shaping systems to the efficiency of power transfer via a prop, the ease of using a wakeboat is pretty awesome.

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wakebooster or Wakewedge with transom bag and the wake is big enough to go ropeless every day of the week.