• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this *just* a gel coat repair?

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I missed a caution buoy and hit something in the water resulting in a small chip in my keel. It’s pretty small but wanted to ask you guys if I can get away with using the Spectrum gel repair kit on this.

I keep the boat on a lift at my dock so it's already gonna be a pain because I'll have to either get it back onto the trailer or do the repair on a kayak!

Attachments

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
You are into the fiberglass there, but because its a smaller gouge and because the hull is super thick at that spot I'd personally feel comfortable with a gel coat fix and then install a keel guard over it. Having said that, even though I've made many gel coat repairs through out my life, I'm no expert, so take "what I'd do" with a grain of salt.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I missed a caution buoy and hit something in the water resulting in a small chip in my keel. It’s pretty small but wanted to ask you guys if I can get away with using the Spectrum gel repair kit on this.

I keep the boat on a lift at my dock so it's already gonna be a pain because I'll have to either get it back onto the trailer or do the repair on a kayak!
I had a hole in my jetski about that size from when the engine blew.... I did the repair myself with a fiberglass repair kit, super easy. With it being on the bottom I just used black spray paint on it and you couldn't even tell. If it were me, I'd just do the repair myself, only thing I would mention is the resin sets super fast so you need to work with small batches. Like @MidnightRider said though, I am also no expert so take it with a grain of salt.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
With it being on the bottom I just used black spray paint on it
@Lpennington Just FYI - spray paint may not seal the fiberglass properly. Fiberglass is somewhat porous and not 100% waterproof. It's the gelcoat that seals and waterproofs the hull to protect and give colour to the hull finish.

Based on that small gouge, I'd do like @MidnightRider said and just fix it with gelcoat repair.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. I'm going to get the $50 Spectrum gel coat repair kit in black. I just care about function and not a perfectly flawless finish where it's located.

@Lpennington Just FYI - spray paint may not seal the fiberglass properly. Fiberglass is somewhat porous and not 100% waterproof. It's the gelcoat that seals and waterproofs the hull to protect and give colour to the hull finish.

Based on that small gouge, I'd do like @MidnightRider said and just fix it with gelcoat repair.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I agree. I'm going to get the $50 Spectrum gel coat repair kit in black. I just care about function and not a perfectly flawless finish where it's located.
Follow the directions and watch some youtube videos - DIY repairs can look really good.

Jcnadal7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Always great to see the feedback on here. I found several cracks in the gel coat on the side of my 242X last week and looking for any feedback if this can be repaired with the Spectrum kit. Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't tell if that's an impact crack or something else.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Always great to see the feedback on here. I found several cracks in the gel coat on the side of my 242X last week and looking for any feedback if this can be repaired with the Spectrum kit. Appreciate any feedback.
Just my opinion... That looks to be a more significant damage and should be professionally repaired. I don't feel the Spectrum patching would 'fix' it, might be underlying damage there. Looks like that was struck by another boat or the boat struck a dock or dock piling.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Goo Gone has always work for me.