• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this the correct wiring for a Shorelander trailer?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in the process of hard wiring in a 7 pin plug to my trailers 5 wires. Is this the right wiring and color code for the Shorlander trailers?

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

5 Way
Right Turn = Green
Left Turn = Yellow
Ground - White
Tail / Marker = Brown
Electric Brake = Blue

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm in the process of hard wiring in a 7 pin plug to my trailers 5 wires. Is this the right wiring and color code for the Shorlander trailers?

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

5 Way
Right Turn = Green
Left Turn = Yellow
Ground - White
Tail / Marker = Brown
Electric Brake = Blue
That should be correct, trailer wiring is standard across all makes and styles of trailers.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is this the correct wiring for the (trailer side) 7 pin as if I am looking at the rear of the plug?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@haknslash working from memory, I believe that you will want the "brake release" connected to pin 7 (auxiliary). The electric brakes pin would be for trailers equipped with electric brake controllers. Also, the wires going to the amber running lights will connect to the same pin as the tail lights. When you're done, you won't have anything hooked to pin 2 or pin 4.

When preparing the wire I recommend tinning with solder or using ferrules on the wire strands to prevent a stray whisker from making your lights flash.

7pin diagram.PNG

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a blue wire on my trailer so I figured it connected to the brake blue on the plug. I thought these trailers were just surge brakes so what is the blue wire for if they are not electronic?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It goes to a solenoid that disables the surge brakes and allows you to back up. You basically just want to tell the trailer you are in reverse. Trailers with electric brakes will get a signal from the brake controller in the vehicle that tells them how aggressively to brake.

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a related question.

I replaced my shorelandr trailer lights and wiring all with the factory harnesses and including the actuator. My question is about the white ground wires. I understand that the trailer has a full length ground wire and I see the connection into the vehicle connector - no problem.

But, in addition to the white wire that goes to the vehicle, the factory wiring harness has a second white wire (spliced into the first) that I believe is intended to ground the surge actuator. The problem is that I dont see anywhere on the surge actuator to receive that connection. I have the blue wire connected to the actuator.

So where do I connect the second white wire at the front of the trailer?

Thanks.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There should be a white wire on the trailer side that gets grounded to the trailer - just connect under any bolt on the trailer frame

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I grounded that white wire to the trailer like PeterB suggested and it works great. Thanks!

Sqdman43

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a related question.

I replaced my shorelandr trailer lights and wiring all with the factory harnesses and including the actuator. My question is about the white ground wires. I understand that the trailer has a full length ground wire and I see the connection into the vehicle connector - no problem.

But, in addition to the white wire that goes to the vehicle, the factory wiring harness has a second white wire (spliced into the first) that I believe is intended to ground the surge actuator. The problem is that I dont see anywhere on the surge actuator to receive that connection. I have the blue wire connected to the actuator.

So where do I connect the second white wire at the front of the trailer?

Thanks.

I am in the process of gathering the parts to rewire my trailer this spring. I have part numbers but cannot find the harness sections anywhere. What vendor did you use?

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The wiring harnesses were difficult to find. I had some luck on amazon but ultimately the best sources for me were hanna rv & trailer and easternmarine. Good luck and if you have more questions, I will try to assist.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I concur...I did the wiring on my old trailer several years ago and local supply from an RV or trailer source was my best option. New light fixtures, wiring front to back and plug at the front.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven’t investigated this, much, yet. But my ‘19 Shorelandr trailer does not seem to be detected by my truck. (‘11 F250). All my other utility and camper trailers (with and without brakes) are detected.

When I say “detected”, I mean that when putting in reverse the backup ‘to close to something’ warning does not beep. But, my boat trailer beeps incessantly and there is no way to turn it off. Super frustrating at the ramp and when parking at home, and you can’t hear your spotter over the beep.

According to my truck dealer, I should have a software override to acknowledge the warning and silence it. That would be awesome, but it is not displayed on my truck. (Dealer couldn’t find it either)

Any thoughts about that?
Thanks!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't get that...you're saying your boat trailer is beeping? Mine does not have a backup alarm that I'm aware of...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't get that...you're saying your boat trailer is beeping? Mine does not have a backup alarm that I'm aware of...
No, the truck does the beeping because it thinks I’m about to back over something. (Alarm to stop you backing over kids or whatever)

Doesn’t do it when connected to any of my other trailers. The truck just knows there is a trailer present and doesn’t activate the alarm.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, the truck does the beeping because it thinks I’m about to back over something. (Alarm to stop you backing over kids or whatever)

Doesn’t do it when connected to any of my other trailers. The truck just knows there is a trailer present and doesn’t activate the alarm.
Newer Shorland'rs have LED lights - that is usually the problem - too little voltage or something?
Ask @Mainah he would be able to explain it I'm sure!

--

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Oh yes I get your meaning now, my SUV does that too because of the winch tower I believe...my other trailers don't have a tower close so no issues with them. I have a button to silence the alarm when backing up. Note the proximity sensor goes off as I approach the parked trailer to connect it to the hitch as well, has nothing to do with being connected in my scenarios.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Newer Shorland'rs have LED lights - that is usually the problem - too little voltage or something?
I have a 2020 trailer...Yamaha specs them with standard lights for the rear. The side markers on mine are LED though.