• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is water here normal?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Noticed water coming in here, ever so slightly, but still a little. Nornal occurrence? Something to worry about? Talking about the port under the engine hatch. Not the fire port.

20220614_234849.jpg

Water in there should drain out of the back of the boat. If you open the engine compartment, you’ll see the white tubing that’s attached to it. That tubing may be clogged and causing water to drain back into the boat. That’s my guess.

That is the scupper deck drain. Water on your cockpit sole (floor) is supposed to drain aft to this thru hull fitting. As mentioned, It drains thru an 1 1/2" hose that bisects the engine compartment and disappears behind the aft engine bulkhead. That drain exits the transom with another 1 1/2" thru hull with a rubber flapper (check valve of sorts). It can be seen above the bilge drain plug. It is plastic and many people replace this plastic scupper drain with a SS one. The older plastic ones have a tendency to break and sink boats. You should see water entering that fitting if there is water in the gutter system around/under the ski locker hatch and fuel hatch, because that is where it will drain.
You should not see water coming up out of that fitting unless you are in reverse and the black rubber flapper on the scupper thru hull, on the transom is missing/damaged.

You should not see water coming up out of that fitting unless you are in reverse and the black rubber flapper on the scupper thru hull, on the transom is missing/damaged.
[/QUOTE]
This is an interesting point that I didn’t realize. Makes sense.

That is the scupper deck drain. Water on your cockpit sole (floor) is supposed to drain aft to this thru hull fitting. As mentioned, It drains thru an 1 1/2" hose that bisects the engine compartment and disappears behind the aft engine bulkhead. That drain exits the transom with another 1 1/2" thru hull with a rubber flapper (check valve of sorts). It can be seen above the bilge drain plug. It is plastic and many people replace this plastic scupper drain with a SS one. The older plastic ones have a tendency to break and sink boats. You should see water entering that fitting if there is water in the gutter system around/under the ski locker hatch and fuel hatch, because that is where it will drain.
My previous post was a reply to Zippers. Don’t know how to capture a quote apparently. Ha

@Guitarjesus I have the same hull you do. I have water there after almost every outing. The more people are in/out and dripping, the more you'll have. Also, if it rains you'll get a small buildup. Water will flow outwards to the rear of the boat as @zipper described in great detail, however, keep in mind it's a round port in a square recess on the deck. There will always be some small amount of residual water that accumulated there and can't get out at the bottom of the port, and in the corners. No big deal. It'll evaporate over time in the offseason.

It will get "gross" in there over a season. I typically take a day, once a year, usually in the fall, take all the carpets out and pressure wash them, then run a hose through the cockpit to rinse and scrub out all the gutters. Gets the accumulated dust/dirt/dog hair/Oreo crumbs/Chip pieces/etc out of there from the season. Just some housekeeping really.

NOW.....that drain is an amazing feature. If you get stuck in a rainstorm, or take a wave over the bow, the deck will self drain through that port.....IF.....and that's a big if.....you can keep the bow of the boat up. I sat in a rainstorm for 4 hours back in '18 (in the dark as well, long story). The footwell in the bow filled up with rainwater, AND the ski locker filled up with rainwater. The 19ft boats don't naturally sit correctly in the water for the deck to drain on it's own. You have to either be moving and get the bow up, OR ballast the back to get the stern down. 2 adults standing on the swim platform is enough to get the bow up and drain the bow footwell area.

This is an interesting point that I didn’t realize. Makes sense.

Some of the newer boats (my '17 has it) have a metal "block off plate" that stands proud of the drain to prevent this kind of "reverse backfill" thing from happening. I'll snap a pic the next time I'm nearby and post.

Back