• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It Takes A Lot of Balls...

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look at this ingeniously simple way Los Angeles officials are combating California's drought:

With California's record-breaking drought well into its fourth year, Los Angeles is getting creative on the — relative — cheap to protect the city's water. Officials released 20,000 shade balls into the Los Angeles Reservoir on Monday, the [URL='http://www.dailynews.com/environment-and-nature/20150810/garcetti-officials-release-20000-shade-balls-into-la-reservoir']Los Angeles Daily News reports.

What, you ask, is a shade ball? Basically what it sounds like: a black, plastic ball that, when joined with 19,999 of its buddies, does a pretty good job of protecting the reservoir's precious H2O against everything from dust and rain to evaporation. Also, they look insanely weird being dispensed — take a peek for yourself in the photos, below.[/URL]
42-75481345.jpg
42-75481346.jpg
42-75481353.jpg
42-75481340.jpg

I wonder...

How much does this cost?
And why black? Doesn't that heat up the water a bit? possibly causing the water to evaporate faster?

Just thinking out loud...:rolleyes:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you California Clowns need to start building a pipeline to the East.

I would think that square plastic floats would cover more surface area for the buck. Leave it to government officials to think things through...

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's the one of the craziest things I've seen. But I guess you have to try something when you all have been in a drought situation for that long.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if they were square you wouldn't get the enjoyment of watching them roll down the side of that hill into the water, jeez, is it really that long ago since you were 12?

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much does this cost?
And why black? Doesn't that heat up the water a bit? possibly causing the water to evaporate faster?

Just thinking out loud...:rolleyes:
I was thinking just that. Even if some is recovered through condensation, most will likely evaporate since the surfaces leave plenty of gaps.
not sure how well that was though out...

My second thought was...
Man that's gonna clog the intake. :D

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Obviously, when you dump truckloads of balls into the reservoir, the water level rises. Water level rises when there is more water in the reservoir. Therefore, they now have more water.

Geez, you guys are stoooooopid.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I pity the fool that's got to remove said balls. I doubt the picture will have near as many smiles as the folks dumping the balls in.

I blame this whole thing on the guy still wearing a suit while dumping the balls. As if it was some ceremonial grand opening.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's pretty cool. ... you'd think they wouldn't have colored them black considering the impact that absorbing all light has on heat, but... .. . cool idea.

NKTARHEEL

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So let's think, how long will it take for someone to realize that thousands of black plastic balls floating on the water in extreme sunlight/heat release harmful chemicals into the water? Remember the BPA/plastic water bottle in the sun issue not that long ago?

And I second the idea of why use black colored balls, they'll absorb more heat, leading to hotter water, thus increasing evaporation. Silver or white seem like a better choice.

Imagine sitting on the water in your blacked out boat interior on a hot sunny day!:eek:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Missed a spot.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Looks like the Daily Mail picked up on this one. A little bit more "scientific" info here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3194098/Could-plastic-balls-bring-relief-drought-stricken-California-Los-Angeles-releases-96-million-spheres-protect-reservoir-water.html

HOW DO THE SHADE BALLS WORK?

The plastic black balls, around the size of an apple, cost 36 cents each.

They floating on the surface and block the sun's rays to prevent water from evaporating.

By doing this, they prevent the chemical reaction that creates the carcinogenic compound bromate.

The balls also form a protective barrier across the surface that helps keep birds, animals and other contaminants out away

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Myth busters? I think you should call ball busters, no wait she's sitting on the couch next to me.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read today that they used 96 million of those little guys. At $0.36 each... That's a little over 34.5 MILLION DOLLARS!:eek:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think they got the decimal place wrong. Maybe .036 cents each in mass. Unless they are Canadian balls then they are $3.60 each. Cam.

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think the guy at the ChuckECheese ball factory got lucky they could sell millions of black balls to California.

marc7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Next we'll find that black balls cause sterility. :)