• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Jeep Battery

Does that Minn-Kota desulfate as well? That's about the only thing I can think of that would recondition the battery back to better condition. I would say replace it simply for piece of mind. If you hook up a set of jumper cables and short the far end together a few times as far away from the battery as possible. It's an old school way of cleaning off the battery plates and could help a little. And you'll feel like a kid again.

On a side note, I just got 2 optima blue tops for my boat. 180.00 each and made in mexico. My 05 AR230 is on the original battery and the second battery is at least 5 years old. It was definitely time!

Good link for research: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Battery-Desulfation.htm

MULTI-STAGE CHARGING (On ALL Minn-Kota "D" <"Digital"> chargers ):

What is multi-stage charging...and why do I need it ?

Select Minn Kota chargers offer multi-charging capabilities (bulk,
absorption and maintenance/float) to properly charge and maintain
batteries. By properly and automatically controlling the current and
voltage during the charge cycle, Minn Kota chargers recharge faster
while preventing overcharging (which can damage and shorten battery
life). With Minn Kota’s multi-stage charging you get back on the water
faster and extend the life of your batteries.

Bulk — provides high amps at low voltages until the battery reaches
~75% charge.

Absorption — when the battery reaches 75% charge, the current begins to taper down until the battery voltage
reaches 14.6V.

Maintenance (or Float) — when the battery reaches full charge, charge output is dropped to 13.2V - 13.4V (.1A -
.3A)

Does that Minn-Kota desulfate as well? That's about the only thing I can think of that would recondition the battery back to better condition. I would say replace it simply for piece of mind. If you hook up a set of jumper cables and short the far end together a few times as far away from the battery as possible. It's an old school way of cleaning off the battery plates and could help a little. And you'll feel like a kid again.

On a side note, I just got 2 optima blue tops for my boat. 180.00 each and made in mexico. My 05 AR230 is on the original battery and the second battery is at least 5 years old. It was definitely time!

I decided to further illucidate (I made up this word) on this subject: So here goes:

There are 2 "brute force" chargers available on the market: 1 line is by Minn-Kota, the other is by Pro Charging Systems.
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Battery-Chargers/Product-Group/Chargers-Group/
http://www.dualpro.com/

There is a reason why. It's how they were designed and how they are built. You can buy CHEAPER, but you cannot buy better.
I own 1 of both.

I love my 3-bankers in my Skeeter, but these days I strongly recommend the Minn-Kota line, from the same company (Johnson Outdoors) who gives us the wonderful Minn-Kota line of trolling motors, Humminbord GPS/Fish Finders/chartplotters, Old Town Canoes, and a LOT more brands.

Minn-Kota makes 2 "series" of Chargers: The "D" series, as in MK 220-D (D for digital) and the more Expensive "PC" ("Precision Chargers") line.
I do NOT believe the "D" line de-sulphates, and ONLY accommodates the lead-acid battery type.

The PC lineup (MORE expensive yet) WILL de-sulphate, accommodates all 3 types of batteries, and cleans & conditions batteries w/ each charge cycle.

I hope this helps you, @ScarabMike. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian

PS - Neither of these 2 brands of chargers is "cheap" - They are simply the BEST you can buy. PERIOD !

I am just as passionate about restoring WW2 Jeeps as I am with boating.

Did you guys know that the Jeep grill we all recognize today was designed by Ford.
1945 MB 030.JPG
The first 25,000 Willys Jeeps had a welded flat bar grill. When Ford started making Jeeps for the war effort, he cut the labor cost and went with a stamped grill.
I have sold this 1945 Willys. I am now working on a 1943 Ford Jeep.

Now @Mud Skipper ............. THAT is KEWL> That photo re-defines "KEWL" !!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
This is a "Slat grill"
willys_mb_late_slat_10.jpg

Did somebody say Jeep??? Here's a pic of my 2013 Rubicon in my favorite place to wheel, Moab. Sadly I sold it when I moved up to Minnesota, but we stayed a Jeep family with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. I really miss my Rubi, we sure saw a lot of incredible places together in AZ, CA and UT.
IMGP7407.JPG

Damn, we hi-jacked the hell outta this thread. . . .

@0627Devildog you're right! That's a hijack if I've ever seen one, haha. But @geiger41 is a Jeep guy too, so he understands our addiction.

Sounds like an old battery. They start to act up especially when it gets cold. Even if the charger gets it going good I would replace the battery (unless it has been sitting for many weeks) just to prevent problems later.

Ford = I had a close friend that was a Ford guy (I am a MOPAR guy). He would say FORD - First on race day - I would respond with because it was still broke down from the previous race! All good, we loved cars (anything mechanical) in general. We gave one of our sons a 2004 Mustang (anniversary) so he could go to college. Beautiful cars!

Jeeps are in our blood as well. We have had several wranglers and are looking for another now. My wife has the Cherokee limited 4 wheel drive.

Yes I am a truck guy as well! My last one I gave to our soon (2000 ram 1500). I now have a 2012 Ram 1500.

And while we are at it I am a motorcycle guy too! Have been riding since 78 and have so many different kinds. Now I have a Harley 2014 CVO Limited and yes we are going to Bike week!

As I said, We both love mechanical vehicles in general and enjoy life with them!

All this talk of batteries and now my truck batteries are showing their age. First time of the year trying to start my diesel when it was 5* out and it cranked sluggish and got slower quick. I only get about 2 to 3 years out of a set and these are approaching the 3 year mark. My trucks that run over the road only average about 12 months for a set of batteries... and for what it costs to replace both batteries in my F250 barely is enough to buy 1 of the 4 that each of my big trucks take :/

All this talk of batteries and now my truck batteries are showing their age. First time of the year trying to start my diesel when it was 5* out and it cranked sluggish and got slower quick. I only get about 2 to 3 years out of a set and these are approaching the 3 year mark. My trucks that run over the road only average about 12 months for a set of batteries... and for what it costs to replace both batteries in my F250 barely is enough to buy 1 of the 4 that each of my big trucks take :/
Wow, only 3 years sucks. I know diesels take a lot of amps but I would think with a properly sized battery that shouldn't be an issue. Do they warranty those big batteries so you at least get some credit in 3 years? It surprised me that OTR trucks only get a year, don't those trucks run more than they sit? With less starting I would have thought they lasted a lot longer than normal.

I think it has to do more with the vibration and plates breaking loose in both. Most if the time I get the OTR ones warranteed but for my truck, I will get them pro rated. I have tried the high brid batteries, gel etc with no luck and a lot of money spent. I dont think AGM can handle the amps or I would think about trying them but they are so expensive it is not worth the risk to see if they last only a little longer...

I think it has to do more with the vibration and plates breaking loose in both. Most if the time I get the OTR ones warranteed but for my truck, I will get them pro rated. I have tried the high brid batteries, gel etc with no luck and a lot of money spent. I dont think AGM can handle the amps or I would think about trying them but they are so expensive it is not worth the risk to see if they last only a little longer...
I don't know, those optima red top AGMs are pretty nice. Sure they are a little more money but I bet you get twice the life out of them.

• Strong starting burst
  • Up to two times longer life
  • More than 15 times the vibration resistance
  • Spillproof, mountable in virtually any position
  • Maintenance-free
  • Faster recharging
  • Optimal starting power
  • Works well as a motorcycle battery or truck battery

800CCA and not a bad price. http://smile.amazon.com/Optima-Batt...OSC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424270351&sr=8-1

Back