• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jensen Stock Stereo and speaker get hot and shutdown

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I noticed one day on the lake after listening to music that the back left speaker was sounding distorted. I actually thought it was blown. hooked it back up the next day was fine. Today the same problem happened again. I touched back of the speaker was really hot and the head unit was hot. working with factory stuff here. let it cool down was fine . Any idea what is going on?

PastMaster32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am assuming it's a 2020 195 with the round Jensen head unit and the Polk speakers.
We blew two speakers last year. Was a high pitched squeal. Replaced under warrantee. Ended up packaging everything up and selling it to a friend. Replaced with 6.5 Infinity Kappa Series speakers, one Infinity Kappa 10 inch sub and a cheap NVX head unit and an Infinity 5 channel amplifier.... For $600, the difference is amazing. There was nothing wrong with the Jensen head unit though. It just didn't have the pre-outs you need for a sub...

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah it is a 2020 Yamaha AR195 with the round Jensen head unit and Polk speakers. It is weird. I actually think it is the head unit that is the problem. I tried swapping the speaker and ran new wire always happens to that speaker output and causes the what ever speaker hooked up to it to get hot to and eventually that channel shuts down. Will probably replace it. but adding an amp First to see if that helps.

PastMaster32

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Warrantee the hell out of it, in the meantime get an NVX or Kicker KMC series via Amazon and sell the new in box Jensen on Ebay to offset the cost...
Just my 2 cents

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So it was the head unit but adding an Amp solve the problem. I used only the line out RCAs as input to the Amp so the head unit was not stressed anymore. The Amp runs the speakers great now. probably could have ran all head unit outputs to the Amp as well. I guess this head unit cannot handle running all four speakers for an extended time by itself.

IndySX190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same issue. My speakers ended up blowing, but I originally thought it was the head unit. I bought an Aquatics AV unit, which is fantastic, and two pairs of Infinity 6.5" marine speakers. Probably $350 all-in an it sounds amazing. Also got an Ultimate Ears floating bluetooth speaker and carabiner for the swim deck (much cheaper and easier than adding speakers).

Good luck.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced the stock speakers on my 2020 SX190 with Polk DB652's and the stock Jensen head unit ended up overheating, making a loud squealing noise, and blowing one of my new speakers. I replaced the Jensen with a new Kicker head unit (direct fit, no cut) and a small amplifier to push the new speakers. The stock head unit and speakers are garbage.

The new setup was pretty inexpensive and can be easily heard at full throttle.

mcp9044

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@SamN44 interesting your boat didn't come with Polk DB652', because mine did. Probably end up replacing the head unit at some point. thanks for the heads up on the kicker one. here is where I put the Amp. I didn't want to drill holes anywhere else so this board worked nice and the angle holds it in with just screws at the top.IMG_3627.jpg

Last edited: