• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet boat or Sterndrive

Shinanigans

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Shinanigans , when you read the responses, make sure to note that in 2015, the hull design was changed and the keel was added. So those who have pre 2015 boats are giving a different perspective than those who have 2015 or newer. I came from the prop world and my 2015 AR240 is my first jet drive. Relative to props, my AR240 will pull serious g force on full throttle turns WITHOUT any cavitation. I've never been half as close to this kind of performance with a prop. Also, the boat planes instantly relative to any prop that I've driven. There is absolutely no side to side sliding while tubing, knee boarding or wake boarding, and the boat tracks perfectly when crossing wakes and waves at an angle.
Although my boat has the keel, there is effectively no steering unless you use the throttle. Reverse steering is almost non-existent. Basically, use reverse to stop forward motion, or to go straight backward. I have no need to install fins because I find that I can control the boat fine the way it is. With the wheel cranked and both engines in forward no-wake, the boat will turn a tight circle such that the tip of the bow is the center of the circle. With one jet in forward and the other in reverse, the boat will spin on its center point.
The waters that I've been in have not been heavy with weeds or debris, so that's the only part that I can't comment on. With about 55 hours on my boat (including a crossing to Bimini), I have not yet sucked anything up that has required me to stop. I have never experienced any kind of cavitation except when the boat jumps off a wave and gets airborne.
I prefer an outboard or I/O in the sense of being able to trim the bow up in rough conditions, and from the perspective of raising the prop out of harms way when in sticky situations. That being said, I've done things with my AR240 that I'd never consider doing with a prop.
MrMoose, thanks for the response. I am really glad to hear the towing is not an issue! I think a lot of negative reviews across the web stem from older jet drives. I would think the articulating keel on 2015 and up would fix the skidding issue while towing. I will be boating on a small river lake that does not have a lot of grass, and the water is not rough; so I think the 2015 and newer would be a great option for me. Is the fuel consumption really that much different than that of an I/O?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For my ar240, Boattest.com has a range of about 120 miles on 50 gallons. I think that is great. A day on the water boarding for 2hrs and cruising for 4, quarter tank.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have added I still own an I/O and I have the jet boat. The only thing I really like better on my I/O hurricane deck boat is how quite it is compared to the jet boat. There is a big difference in sound level. I do not miss constantly having to worry about my depth and when the kids are jumping off the back to have to keep reminding them to jump away from the prop. I too as @MrMoose mentioned do miss being able to trim up the out drive a little when its rough but you can still get a similar sensation with the Yamaha by adjusting the throttle but its still not same. Personally if I move away from the jets again it will be to a outboard engine mainly because I live on the coast but do really like the jet.

clint6760

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a small I/O boat for two years and switched to a Yamaha. Pretty much everything you read on other sites were inaccurate. I love my boat and won't ever switch. I'll never pay what a wakeboard boat costs.

I haven't sucked up anything in 3 years, do all the maintenance myself, and drive like hell. I love Yamaha boats.

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I should have added I still own an I/O and I have the jet boat. The only thing I really like better on my I/O hurricane deck boat is how quite it is compared to the jet boat. There is a big difference in sound level. I do not miss constantly having to worry about my depth and when the kids are jumping off the back to have to keep reminding them to jump away from the prop. I too as @MrMoose mentioned do miss being able to trim up the out drive a little when its rough but you can still get a similar sensation with the Yamaha by adjusting the throttle but its still not same. Personally if I move away from the jets again it will be to a outboard engine mainly because I live on the coast but do really like the jet.
Robert, I caught the comment that you live on the coast and would assume you are mainly in salt water with your Yamaha.... any downsides that you could comment on with the jets in salt? vs the I/O in salt. I've been a fresh water boater my entire life, with a true inboard motor, I'm planning to make a move to a new boat next year, and am leaning towards a Yamaha or Chap, but with a primary saltwater usage, I need to choose a drive that fits, whether that's an outboard / I/O, or jet. Ideally I'll have it docked or moored, and this seems to be a disadvantage of the jetdrive over vs trailering it in and out.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Darrell - We run our boat in salt and brackish waster (ICW and Gulf of Mexico.. Orange Beach, AL).

When we get home (we trailer). All I have to do is flush the engines. (5-10min each). I will say that you will need to wipe off the boat to get that corrosive salt spray off. Additionally use vinegar on any corroded stainless steel sections.. works great for us.

The only disadvantage that I can think of with jet drives would be watching if debris gets stuck under your boat... easier to suck up once you get going and cause problems or at least set backs. This is another reason for a Yam and their clean-out ports.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Robert, I caught the comment that you live on the coast and would assume you are mainly in salt water with your Yamaha.... any downsides that you could comment on with the jets in salt? vs the I/O in salt. I've been a fresh water boater my entire life, with a true inboard motor, I'm planning to make a move to a new boat next year, and am leaning towards a Yamaha or Chap, but with a primary saltwater usage, I need to choose a drive that fits, whether that's an outboard / I/O, or jet. Ideally I'll have it docked or moored, and this seems to be a disadvantage of the jetdrive over vs trailering it in and out.
Storing any boat in salt water sucks lol. If you plan to keep your boat in salt water I would highly recommend buying an outboard boat. At least then you can trim the engine completely out of the water when storing. The jet boat will not do well stored in salt water you will get frustrated quickly with the extra maintenance it will require if you do. That being said the last boat I had that we kept full time in the water was a Bayliner 2855 ciera it was a I/O and the engine and out drive held up fine being stored in the salt water but once a year I had to pull that beast out of the water sand all the junk off the bottom and repaint the bottom with anti fouling paint. After many years of doing this it finally got old we sold the boat and bought something we could tow.

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same, came from an I/o won't go back, the maneuverability is so much better