• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Jet boat puts out fire?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm sure most of us remember the video of a jet boat putting out a fire...

Well, apparently there was some internet debate on whether or not it was faked. So Mythbusters set out to tackle the truth, and here is the result!

I don't think we could do this with our boats, since we lack the rooster tail....

I'm sure we couldn't throw our spray as far as the guy in the 1st video, BUT... I have been pretty amazed at how much spray comes out the back of our boat if you put 5 adults in the bow and then gun the engines.

EDIT: The youtube video ends before answering the question?? Do you have part 2?

No rooster tail needed, the majority of the spray is from the turn.

You would be surprised by the amount of water you can spray. I've been on the receiving end if a PWC spray.....soaked to the core in a second flat. I can only imagine what a 23-24' boat spray can do.

Last year I had a chance to do this and decided against it because the boat was too far gone and there was a significant risk for an exploding fuel tank.

Last year I had a chance to do this and decided against it because the boat was too far gone and there was a significant risk for an exploding fuel tank.
In today's society, some fool would end up filing a lawsuit against you for trying to sink their boat. Lol

I never doubted that video.

Three things. First, I agree with bucks448 that a lot of it is just the boat throwing water. Second if you turn sharp the bow tends to bite into the water and the stern lifts which throws the jet spray up. The jets are already not in the water so it doesn't take more than a few degrees to throw two jets worth of water. Third take away any after market fin options and you can really throw the stern around throwing more water.

I've done that move many times with my jet ski, wetting the rocks on a steep shoreline at least 15 feet above the waterline. Come flying at the shore at 30mph, turn the handlebars hard over and you'll soak the shore. I never tried it with the jet boat but I still have no doubt it can be done.

This isn't our boat (neither was the boat in the video) but take a look at the massive amount of spray from this jet boat

Or this short one of a Yami about 40 seconds in

I saw that episode of myth busters last night and couldn't help but think I would love to have a job like that. Being that they are based in alameda (about 10 miles from my home) they are local celebrities around here.

My wife recently looked into going to one of their shows, not a taping of a television episode but one of their indoor behind the scenes events (similar to a concert or speaking engagement). I was surprised at what these guys charge, $65 per person for nose bleed seats. To see the myth busters? Looks like I will only be seeing them on tv.

I'm sure we couldn't throw our spray as far as the guy in the 1st video, BUT... I have been pretty amazed at how much spray comes out the back of our boat if you put 5 adults in the bow and then gun the engines.

EDIT: The youtube video ends before answering the question?? Do you have part 2?

Sorry about that, I happened to catch the episode on tv. I can tell you how it ends....

********* Spoiler Scroll Down ***********

The jetboat did in fact put out the fire. However, they recommended not trying it since one of their key components was driving directly towards a burning boat at 50mph and turning at the last second.

What I found strange about the episode is that even with the dangers identified they still allowed more than 1 person on the jet boat. Normally they err on the side of caution and use one person on the experiment at a time or sometimes they use their dummy stand in buster.

I would need some practice placing my wave right on a fire. It would probably be quicker for me to pull along side and use a fire extinguisher. All this to say, if your boat is on fire don't rely on the average jet boater to put it out for you. Although, he may end up paying for (some) of it anyway if he doesn't time his turn correctly.

Back