• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amerex Halotron fire extinguisher

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone here on the forum worked (works?) for or at least was familiar with the Amerex products, and pointed out the damage that would be done with the typical fire extinguisher included with our boats.

The Halotron was suggested for the ability to cause less or no damage to the electrical or electronic systems to hopefully mitigate the excess damage beyond what a fire would cause.

It's time to buy, and add to the boat this year. My question is about the size - I can source a 1.4lb, or a 5lb. Obviously, these are FAR more expensive than the throw-in extinguishers, so I'm not keen on the 5lb price, but does the 1.4lb seem sufficient?

Wondering if 2 of the 1.4lb tanks might be a decent compromise for the same price, but added ability to bring more to the emergency, while still allowing me to reserve or preserve an extinguisher if it's not necessary

Has anyone had a need to use one as well?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a 2.5lb halotron and it looks to be about a normal size boat extinguisher. Never used it, hope I never do!!

5lb would be big. 2 of the smaller size might be better.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you find the 2.5lb one? The 1.4 was $200-something, and sounds like it might be just enough, but cross your fingers that it knocks out the fire on the first shot and no flare ups

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got it on Amazon but it was several years ago.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll keep scrolling through the list, maybe they have a listing with the 2.5 option and I just missed it
I checked and the one I bought is no longer listed unfortunately

BlueBulls

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Prices have definitely gone up, I paid $108 each for two of these from Zoro in 2021 - but still much better than what you were looking at. Zoro usually has a 20% off coupon floating around too.

I keep one under the helm and one near the battery switches ready to shove in the 'fire extinguisher' hole.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I would get the smaller one and keep the dry chem one. My thought is hopefully you catch it early enough and the small works. But if it runs out (esp in the engine compartment), I would readily sacrifice the electronics there vs. having the whole boat go up...

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I would get the smaller one and keep the dry chem one. My thought is hopefully you catch it early enough and the small works. But if it runs out (esp in the engine compartment), I would readily sacrifice the electronics there vs. having the whole boat go up...
That's a definite point of agreement. I may have been less than clear, I'll be leaving the throw-in extinguisher in place, I was looking for additional halotron-based extinguishers for under the helm area.

You're correct, no sense in worrying about "excess" damage if the boat ends up burning to the ground, better to destroy everything and still be afloat!

Prices have definitely gone up, I paid $108 each for two of these from Zoro in 2021 - but still much better than what you were looking at. Zoro usually has a 20% off coupon floating around too.

I keep one under the helm and one near the battery switches ready to shove in the 'fire extinguisher' hole.

That's AWESOME info! I haven't EVER seen a Kidde version, and that's $100 less than the one I just found. At that price, I will definitely add it, and consider a second. The 2.5lb Kidde is the same price as the 1.4lb Amerex.

This is what I was able to dig up:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, but I'm intrigued...

Doesn't seem USCG approved, so it would need to be in addition to approved one(s).

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep one in my car. Never used it.

I don’t think I would trust it for a potential life and death situation on a boat because of the somewhat low output.

I put it in my car after witnessing a terrible accident in a remote area and realizing that it was probably a good idea to at least carry something with me that could stop a small fire from becoming big.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have Kidde 5 lb Halotron extinguishers on both of my boats, both of which I bought using 20% off coupons from Zoro:

I'm on Zoro's mailing list for all of their coupons, so I always have a 20% coupon cued up in case I need to buy anything. I will DM you a coupon good thru June 2.

Kidde extinguishers do not include USCG-approved brackets. I have Amerex brackets for my Kidde 5BC Halotron extinguishers:

Keep in mind that Halotron extinguishers work by starving the fire of oxygen. Therefore, they only work in enclosed volumes. That's why you need to keep your engine hatch closed and spray Halotron into the fire port.

Just as importantly, you will need dry-chemical extinguishers for everything else on your boat. I have several Amerex dry chemical extinguishers on each of my boats.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That was me that worked there for just shy of 20 years designing their products. I no longer work there as management has gone bonkers. They make a good product but treat their employees like disposable cameras. I still recommend using a B:C dry chemical like regular or purple K dry chem and then using a CO2, Halon, or Halotron for engine areas. I do not recommend ABC Dry Chemical if you can help it. If you have a fire and use ABC anything you salvage in the boat will have the possibility to corrode so then you’ll be chasing other issues down the road.

5 lbs of Halotron or Halong is overkill for these boats if you’re going to buy one. Stick to the smaller sizes. Look at the fire ratings and determine what you need in terms of size.

BTW H3R extinguishers are just rebranded Amerex extinguishers. We just designed a different label and carton for them but they are 100% Amerex products.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was me that worked there for just shy of 20 years designing their products. I no longer work there as management has gone bonkers. They make a good product but treat their employees like disposable cameras. I still recommend using a B:C dry chemical like regular or purple K dry chem and then using a CO2, Halon, or Halotron for engine areas. I do not recommend ABC Dry Chemical if you can help it. If you have a fire and use ABC anything you salvage in the boat will have the possibility to corrode so then you’ll be chasing other issues down the road.

5 lbs of Halotron or Halong is overkill for these boats if you’re going to buy one. Stick to the smaller sizes. Look at the fire ratings and determine what you need in terms of size.

BTW H3R extinguishers are just rebranded Amerex extinguishers. We just designed a different label and carton for them but they are 100% Amerex products.
That's great info to have. I had a feeling the H3R's were rebrands, as they have a distinct look to them, compared to anything other than the Amerex products.

Skipping the "A" rating is more good info as well. I hadn't considered the likelihood of the chemicals drifting and causing future problems in the event things were saveable. Maybe that's how British cars got to be known for being electrical nightmares!

Regarding sizing, any thoughts on carrying one of each, a 2.5lb and a 1.4lb, for options and backup should the need arise? Or perhaps, going back to the original thought (due to cost), would two 1.4lb units be a reasonable plan?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there is a fire in the engine compartment of one of our boats is there any reasonable expectation that the boat would be salvageable? I would think that the fire would spread rapidly and the heat would damage the hull as well as all of the wiring and plastic.

Do we know of any four stroke Yamaha boats catching on fire?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If there is a fire in the engine compartment of one of our boats is there any reasonable expectation that the boat would be salvageable? I would think that the fire would spread rapidly and the heat would damage the hull as well as all of the wiring and plastic.

Do we know of any four stroke Yamaha boats catching on fire?
Not certain, so maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. A concern for me, is from seeing the aftermath of boats that have burned to the ground at a particular spot on the river near me. If I still end up floating, and haven't set the surrounding area on fire, even if the boat is a loss, it's still preferable.

Like you point out, it's kinda hard to see anything being saved, but at least there's the potential for something positive for a few more bucks out of the wallet

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you’re wanting something to fight Class A fires (combustible materials, rubbish etc) you have an endless supply surrounded by your boat. Grab and bucket and start tossing water in the fire. If it’s electrical or flammable fluids then you’re already covered by a B:C rated extinguisher.

Dry chemical is a pain in the butt to clean up. However if I’m going to clean it up, I’d rather not deal with additional corrosion mess from the leftover ammonia phosphate of ABC. Dry chemical is finer than baby power and will get into everything, including any electronics and personal items you could salvage. Things like phones, amps and high dollar stereo equipment etc. Not all fires are a total loss of the boat and entire contents. Sure the boat would likely get totaled by insurance but not everything has to be destroyed.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Regarding sizing, any thoughts on carrying one of each, a 2.5lb and a 1.4lb, for options and backup should the need arise? Or perhaps, going back to the original thought (due to cost), would two 1.4lb units be a reasonable plan?
It really depends on the agent. 1.4 lb halotron has a completely different fire rating than say 2.5 lbs of ABC dry chemical. You can’t really think of extinguisher comparisons in size unless it’s the same agent or similar agent characteristics. It’s never a bad idea to have a back-up or carry different types of extinguisher agent to cover all types of fires with plenty of headroom to put them out. When shopping pay attention to discharge time, duration, fire rating, agent type, discharge range, nozzle or hose etc and choose what fits your intended fire fighting application.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It really depends on the agent. 1.4 lb halotron has a completely different fire rating than say 2.5 lbs of ABC dry chemical. You can’t really think of extinguisher comparisons in size unless it’s the same agent or similar agent characteristics. It’s never a bad idea to have a back-up or carry different types of extinguisher agent to cover all types of fires with plenty of headroom to put them out. When shopping pay attention to discharge time, duration, fire rating, agent type, discharge range, nozzle or hose etc and choose what fits your intended fire fighting application.
I'm referring only to halotron, looking at two 1.4lb tanks of halotron vs one 2.5lb tank of halotron, or would one of each, 1.4 + 2.5 in halotron be a better plan.