• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boat with Radar?

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anybody installed Radar on their Jetboat? Thinking of adding it to my 242... Garmin 18" Dome.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I assume you would install at the towers tow point?

Would you use it to detect possible collisions or for storm avoidance?

I am concerned that the 4KW of radio wave transmission could be dangerous for occupants of your boat. The bow area likely has the greatest risk but anyone standing up in the boat will be exposed if the unit is on. Radar is more harmful to our eyes than other parts of our bodies and our heads are our most likely to be exposed part while standing up.

Here are relevant posts from other forums

Radar Safety and Microwave Exposure - SailNet Community

Radar - Is There Radiation Danger? - Cruiser Log World Cruising ...
Radar Beam Exposure [Archive] - The Hull Truth - Boating ...

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Collision Avoidance, as I appear to love Night boating! Hmmm....I see your point about 4Kw. Didn't know about 3G/4G though, which appears to be the safer route. Thanks for the links.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The manual states

It is highly recommended that the device is mounted out of range of personnel, with the horizontal beam width above head height.

IEC 60936-1, clause 3-27.1, states maximum distances from the antenna at which radio frequency (RF) levels can be expected:

◦ 18 xHD

• 100 W/m squared = 91 cm (36 in.)
  • 10 W/m squared = 289 cm (114 in.)

I believe that 10 W/m squared is considered to be the maximum level for safe exposure. With that level at 9.5 feet it would make most of your boat technically unsafe.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Lowrance 3G radar has 165mW output power. That is about 1/3rd of the output of a handheld cellphone

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going with 3G means replacing the Garmin with a Simrad/lowrance. Sucks, the Garmin is only 2 weeks old. Need to do some thinking....this might just push the custom dash to the top of the list.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going with 3G means replacing the Garmin with a Simrad/lowrance. Sucks, the Garmin is only 2 weeks old. Need to do some thinking....this might just push the custom dash to the top of the list.
That does suck, but not as bad as cooking your family;)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I run several boats up to 75' and swore by radar until we got a nice pair of ITT night vision goggles! You can run 70 mph in pitch black and see like its high noon, you can't do this with radar. You might want to look into night vision. A nice pair will run you around 2k or less.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The good thing about the 4kw unit is you can cook your hot dogs really fast and the kids will really like cookin their smores. :)

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed a Lowrance 4G radar on my AR240 - works great and won't cook the kids or fry your brain. Lowrance claims that these broadband radar units emit less energy than a cell phone. So far I am very pleased with the performance.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I installed a Lowrance 4G radar on my AR240 - works great and won't cook the kids or fry your brain. Lowrance claims that these broadband radar units emit less energy than a cell phone. So far I am very pleased with the performance.
Any pictures of how it's mounted?

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will take some pictures and post later. It is a home brew, but does look okay and did not cost much - a few pieces and parts from the hardware store. I have had it in rough water and it has held tight so far. I now need to mod the Bimini though, going to try to get that done soon.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome thanks look forward to seeing them. Really would like to mount radar on my tower just haven't seen anyway to make work..

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
In one of the One Tree Island party pics there is a 24' Yamaha with a radar dome. From the Facebook group...

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've wanted to do this also but I haven't figured out the mounting issue. The dome needs to go up top but the Bimini also goes over the top so I put it on hold. I guess you would have to modify the Bimini with a larger zippered opening but then it would still be a pain to get the whole front mounting bar over the radar.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had Garmin radar and chartplotter on my last boat. Loved it!
Great for navigation confirmation, weather detection and collision avoidance.
All necessary for off shore and 24 hour passages-

Were I in your current circumstance, I would look seriously at adding FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red). Believe it gives you most of what you need for safe night movement, for our Yamahas-

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CVS_Americas/Maritime_-_NEW/Resources/FLIR-Integration-with-Garmin-Application-Note.pdf

Could do this for under $250 with a smart phone as well.
http://www.amazon.com/FLIR-ONE-Thermal-Imager-iOS/dp/B00VILVV62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463155875&sr=8-1&keywords=flir+one

Last edited:

SGMPhil

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

wahoowah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Had Garmin radar and chartplotter on my last boat. Loved it!
Great for navigation confirmation, weather detection and collision avoidance.
All necessary for off shore and 24 hour passages-

Were I in your current circumstance, I would look seriously at adding FLIR (Forward Looking Infra Red). Believe it gives you most of what you need for safe night movement, for our Yamahas-

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CVS_Americas/Maritime_-_NEW/Resources/FLIR-Integration-with-Garmin-Application-Note.pdf

Could do this for under $250 with a smart phone as well.
Amazon.com: FLIR ONE Thermal Imager for iOS: Camera & Photo

Old post I know, but do you or anyone else reading have any experience with the FLIR One or similar smartphone units? Looking for an inexpensive backup for early morning hours, not primary navigation. I've seen pictures of the units picking up animals in the woods, but can they pick up a bouey or boat on the water? I move a lot for work and so don't know how long I'll have my current boat and don't want to spring for an entire FLIR marine setup.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Old post I know, but do you or anyone else reading have any experience with the FLIR One or similar smartphone units? Looking for an inexpensive backup for early morning hours, not primary navigation. I've seen pictures of the units picking up animals in the woods, but can they pick up a bouey or boat on the water? I move a lot for work and so don't know how long I'll have my current boat and don't want to spring for an entire FLIR marine setup.
sorry, none here-