• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet boat won't throttle up

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out this issue with my 2019 scarab 165..
It has about 25 hours on it.

I was idling down the river and was having no problems until I tried to do a sharp turnaround. The engine immediately starting sounding 'off' and since then it hasn't been able to throttle up without sounding like its going to explode and won't go faster than idle.

Somewhat recently I was in reverse and sucked up some rope and the engine sounded similar to what it's like now. When that happened I scuba'd under and cut it out. I did that this time to check and there's nothing there..

I don't have the capability to get this boat out of the water by the way. Any suggestions would be really appreciated! Thanks,
Jon

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Definitely sounds like something is stuck/wrapped around the Impeller, more than likely going to have to figure out a way to get it out of the water to inspect

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Definitely sounds like something is stuck/wrapped around the Impeller, more than likely going to have to figure out a way to get it out of the water to inspect
Thanks for your input Crob. That's what I was thinking too but I have no way of getting it out of the water.
I live on a river with nothing but walls and no access to the boat lift to get it over the wall..
If I can bum someone's key and raise it out of the water would I pull out the circled tube in this picture?

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thanks for your input Crob. That's what I was thinking too but I have no way of getting it out of the water.
I live on a river with nothing but walls and no access to the boat lift to get it over the wall..
If I can bum someone's key and raise it out of the water would I pull out the circled tube in this picture?
I'll answer on his behalf... no.

You need to access the pump via the stern of the boat. Do not go to it in any other way. This looks intimidating, but it's very easy to do.

That video is for a different brand of boat, identical engine and parts. Follow it to the letter and it won't be a problem.

Good luck finding the debris. It definitely sounds like debris/rope.

Bryan Halsey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the Scarab have a clean out port? Sounds like when you throttled up making your turn you blew the plug out. All the water pressure is being released through the port and not going out the back. Just a thought it’s happened to me.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Does the Scarab have a clean out port? Sounds like when you throttled up making your turn you blew the plug out. All the water pressure is being released through the port and not going out the back. Just a thought it’s happened to me.
No clean out port on Scarabs.

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
I don't know.. I can't even get it to start now.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I don't know.. I can't even get it to start now.
Well that's a problem...

1. Do you have power to the dash?
2. Is it clicking when you try and turn the key?
3. Does the engine turn?

Answer all three questions please.

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Well that's a problem...

1. Do you have power to the dash?
2. Is it clicking when you try and turn the key?
3. Does the engine turn?

Answer all three questions please.
Ok I replaced the battery and now it starts but still wants to explode when throttling. At least it starts now.... A little white smoke comes out the back tho kinda sketches me out

Jon Clifford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Ok I replaced the battery and now it starts but still wants to explode when throttling. At least it starts now.... A little white smoke comes out the back tho kinda sketches me out

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If something is stuck in there, than the loud rattling sounds when reving up are normal. Get the pump out and find the debri like Luc said and more than likely you'll be all set

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Also, just a reminder, don't run the engine very long while out of the water. I'd keep it shorter than a min... less is better. The more you do, the more likely you are to overheat the drive line seal (aka carbon ring). That's only cooled while sitting in the lake.