• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet pump Removal

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m removing my Jet pump for the first time. Does the O-ring and gasket have to be replaced when I remove the impeller? I’m just removing some fishing line from the impeller rod.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You're just removing the pump, right? Not the impeller from the housing? I've done this several times, never replaced any gaskets or o-rings.

If you do a search in the FAQs, you should find various posts on how to remove the pumps.

Fish for Dinner

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I just need to remove the line from the impeller. Do I need to use sealant when replacing the pump? I see that some people do and some don’t.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never have

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would remove the intake grate and make a hook tool to pull the line out you don't need to pull the pump to get up in there from the intake grate opening.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That makes sense. I will try that thanks.
The intake grate is glued on and the bolts will likely be difficult to remove.

Pulling the pump is so much easier. Perhaps a challenge the first time but easy after that.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The video is a jet ski but good info especially at the 2 min mark shows how to remove the gate adjuster by pushing the collar. The jet ski has adjustable trim that the boats don't have but the operation is the same. First few times I would take out the two bolts on that gate adjuster but its easier to slide the collar and you cant mess up the reassembly by putting the gate tab on backwards. It is good to use Anaerobic Gasket Maker by Permatex it releases very easy if you need to take it apart, it will seal up any small gaps that could create cavitation.

Be careful if your in salt water, if any of the bolts start to get tight on disassembly tighten them and then loosen them and keep repeating going a little looser each time. The thread lock that yamaha uses has a tendancy to bind up and the bolts are not that strong one of mine sheared off created more work to drill and tap and time waiting for the correct tap and new bolt