• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet ski bug

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In Mexico the other day and rented a waverunner, and man what a blast. I forgot how much I miss having a ski. I had 4 different skis when I was in my teens and early 20's, but sold my last one to buy an engagement ring about 10 years ago. I have been thinking about getting another one eventually, but now I am really really wanting one after renting one. It's been so long since I have been involved in the jet ski world but is Yamaha the king of skis now? All I have ever had was two stroke 951's sea doo xp's, and they treated me great. I looked online and the GP1800 looks like a bad ass machine. I am kind of bummed all the new skis are bulky heavy skis, but I guess that's the game now. I am thinking of looking at what kind of deals I can find on a left over GP1800 in the fall or winter maybe.

viggen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yea, I keep debating what to do myself. I had a ultra 150 which was a lot of fun (sold it 4 yrs ago) but it sure sucked the gas... we also had two older seadoo' s one of which had water fobia (ran perfectly until it touvched the water).

I have been debating what to do, something small like the old seadoo speedster 150 which has 215-255HP or the GP1800 which does seems to be the one to get. It seems to be the lightest of all the skis out there thus the great power to weight ratio. A re flash and it pushes 80 mph

I want to do the bimini trip hopefully next year and kinda worry the speedster 150 wouldn't be the best option for that thus thinking GP1800......

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gp1800 all the way. They handle like a smaller ski but can take a wave

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea, I keep debating what to do myself. I had a ultra 150 which was a lot of fun (sold it 4 yrs ago) but it sure sucked the gas... we also had two older seadoo' s one of which had water fobia (ran perfectly until it touvched the water).

I have been debating what to do, something small like the old seadoo speedster 150 which has 215-255HP or the GP1800 which does seems to be the one to get. It seems to be the lightest of all the skis out there thus the great power to weight ratio. A re flash and it pushes 80 mph

I want to do the bimini trip hopefully next year and kinda worry the speedster 150 wouldn't be the best option for that thus thinking GP1800......
Gp1800 all the way. They handle like a smaller ski but can take a wave
uggh you guys...haha

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My ski is a rocket and tons of fun. I wouldn't ever give up that much fun.
Makes me feel like i am 20 years old again.
My wife is 52 and she said just today that she wants one of her own someday.
Got to love a woman like that. She has always been behind my toy addiction. Lol

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Neutron do you have a gp1800? If so what do you think about it?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No i have a 15 FZS SVHO. The gp1800 replaced the FZ model
The GP is similar to the FX hull design and trim look

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In Mexico the other day and rented a waverunner, and man what a blast. I forgot how much I miss having a ski. I had 4 different skis when I was in my teens and early 20's, but sold my last one to buy an engagement ring about 10 years ago. I have been thinking about getting another one eventually, but now I am really really wanting one after renting one. It's been so long since I have been involved in the jet ski world but is Yamaha the king of skis now? All I have ever had was two stroke 951's sea doo xp's, and they treated me great. I looked online and the GP1800 looks like a bad ass machine. I am kind of bummed all the new skis are bulky heavy skis, but I guess that's the game now. I am thinking of looking at what kind of deals I can find on a left over GP1800 in the fall or winter maybe.
I too got the jetski bug about 3 years ago. Not all new PWCs are big and bulky, I bought 2 SeaDoo Sparks in 2014 and they are a blast to ride. They have a 900cc motor and only weigh 400 lbs, they won't to 65 mph like some of the other PWCs out there, but they will to around 50 mph.

IMG_20140809_144047_634.jpg
IMG_20140711_183520_267.jpg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I too got the jetski bug about 3 years ago. Not all new PWCs are big and bulky, I bought 2 SeaDoo Sparks in 2014 and they are a blast to ride. They have a 900cc motor and only weigh 400 lbs, they won't to 65 mph like some of the other PWCs out there, but they will to around 50 mph.

View attachment 57988
View attachment 57989
Cool, yeah I have seen several of the sparks around on the lake. I think I want something capable of hitting 70 mph though. Talked to the wife last night and she wants me to wait a few years as we have a 2 year old son right now. Would be difficult to use the ski and boat along with taking care of our son while out and all that. I don't know, we will see. Maybe I can convince her sooner haha.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool, yeah I have seen several of the sparks around on the lake. I think I want something capable of hitting 70 mph though. Talked to the wife last night and she wants me to wait a few years as we have a 2 year old son right now. Would be difficult to use the ski and boat along with taking care of our son while out and all that. I don't know, we will see. Maybe I can convince her sooner haha.
My father in law had a Yamaha that would do mid 60s and it was scary as hell, I don't see the fun in doing straight line speed anymore. With the Sparks you play on them, which is way more entertaining, and for the cost of them you can buy 2 and pay less than 1 large PWC. Another reason I bought the Spark is my daughter was 14 at the time I bought them and I didn't need her doing 65+ on the river.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My father in law had a Yamaha that would do mid 60s and it was scary as hell, I don't see the fun in doing straight line speed anymore. With the Sparks you play on them, which is way more entertaining, and for the cost of them you can buy 2 and pay less than 1 large PWC. Another reason I bought the Spark is my daughter was 14 at the time I bought them and I didn't need her doing 65+ on the river.
That's why I miss my XPdi. It would run in the 60's if I wanted to, but also easy to throw around and play on.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just depends how you wanna enjoy your ski I reckon. If I had to do it again, I'd buy VX cruisers just for the fuel mileage (I haven't ridden one, maybe I'd hate it). I mean, I won't let mine go now since they're paid for, and they are bulletproof and get great fuel mileage, but going mid-60's is scary when rogue waves pop up and is only good for showing off for me. We're mostly cruising long distances at 40-ish mph. All that extra power is just hurting reliability and mileage.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want to pay less but still have the reliability recommend you go used and with 4 strokes. A 2006+ Yamaha fox sells for $3k to $5k. Will do 60 mph and comes with a learning mode that allows the owner to limit the top speed to around 35 mph (the remote also activates / deactivates the security system.

If you want something smaller and lighter there are not a lot of new choices out there, the spark 2 up or the new pwc Yamaha released (EX?). Seadoo always points out their starting price of $5k for the spark, but when I went to look at them it was a bait rate. That is, $5k was just the first line on the sticker / tag. Prep was another $1,300 so it (the entry level spark 2 up with that smaller engine and no extras like a storage compartment for the front end) was $6,300 before tax (10% here) or a trailer, I estimated my out the door price would have been closer to $8k. $8k is a steal compared to what Yamaha wants for a new fx or Gp ($15k +).

Like @veedubtek said, it depends on how you plan to use it. I have had a bunch of skis including a few stand ups. Currently have an '06 fx ho cruiser and '96 waveblaster ii (both Yamaha waverunners). The fx hits 60 on a gps, hold three people, two comfortably , and has a trim and three handle bar positions. Add in a cup holder and an 18 gallon tank and it can cruise 120 miles in a day. The older pwc is fully unloaded, not nearly as stable when it's drifting and can be difficult to get back on in deep water but it accelerates faster than the fx and turns sharper as well. Great for short blasts in calm lakes not so much for cruising.