• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would also put out there that if you have a DSC radio, even with an MMSI, if it is not connected to some sort of GPS and it doesn't have an internal GPS antenna, then the DSC function is virtually worthless in an emergency as your current location will not be sent or known. You will need to verbally indicate your position.
For the fastest possible response to a DSC call, either by the Coast Guard or any nearby ship, you need your DSC ready VHF to be able to send your position. It can only do this if it has and internal antenna or is connected to an external gps.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
N/m

Last edited:

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know your system, but my vhf is also only nmea0183 and my chartplotter is nmea2k. However, my chartplotter has in it's main power harness, all the wires necessary to connect the two.
As far as I can tell from the manuals the Raymarine Axiom doesn't have any standalone GPS/DSC connections. Still researching but Raymarine's own support site seems to indicate a signal converter is the only option for 2-way communication to a 0183 VHF.

rsrlegends

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So nmea183 and no connection wires for anything else. I guess it won't happen with this radio
If you have nmea0183 wires, that's what you need.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as I can tell from the manuals the Raymarine Axiom doesn't have any standalone GPS/DSC connections. Still researching but Raymarine's own support site seems to indicate a signal converter is the only option for 2-way communication to a 0183 VHF.
Yeah I saw that, that sure limits your options.
I wonder if thats because the Axiom is also a MFD.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I read something about position polling. Is the 2 wire nmea able to feed my gps into vhf and then still grab other people info and transfer to chartplotter?

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read something about position polling. Is the 2 wire nmea able to feed my gps into vhf and then still grab other people info and transfer to chartplotter?
If you wire your chartplotter to your VHF with the two wire harness, that should be all you need. It's two way communication between your VHF and your chartplotter. It will only work if the person you are calling is wired to a GPS as well. DSC calling can't and doesn't send a position if the vhf isn't getting a position from either an internal GPS antenna or an externally wired GPS signal source.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Amazon photo came up with this from last year. Didn't anticipate the stroke! More motivation for this year!
20170322_170425.jpg
Lets go already!

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have this
https://www.cobra.com/products/marine/428-005
And this:
https://www.cobra.com/products/marine/cm-300-005-cobra-positioning-system
So instead of the gps module i use the 2 wire plug and wire to a chartplotter and done?
Does your current GPS have a NMEA output - if so you don't need this you can just connect your VHF to your GPS. There are certain GPS's (Raymarine dragonfly is one) that does not have a NEMA output so you need a separate GPS receiver to hook your VHF up to. I have a dragonfly so will be buying this receiver so I can have DSC calling in my VHF.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does your current GPS have a NMEA output - if so you don't need this you can just connect your VHF to your GPS. There are certain GPS's (Raymarine dragonfly is one) that does not have a NEMA output so you need a separate GPS receiver to hook your VHF up to. I have a dragonfly so will be buying this receiver so I can have DSC calling in my VHF.
Maybe you two can work out a deal.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am very keen to see y’all making calls while your bow is pointing 45 degrees skywards every 5 seconds.
I am so planing on buying a couple of gopros and document all that. :D

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So most of this mmsi tracking stuff is way above me.. But when I bought my vhf radio (Garmin something) and the Garmin chart plotter (chirp 74 dv/sv) I read that the vhf needed to be tied into a plotter for the distress signal to be able to send the GPS coordinates. The year before I replaced my stereo with a fusion ud750 and the swim platform controller. This came with the nema 2k backbone so I simply attached my plotter and my vhf to it and poof... Everything talks. I knew there was a way to call someone using the mmsi number but I didn't know u can use it to track someone on your plotter or even a group of people. This plotter and vhf has so many capabilities that I have no clue how to use! Just being a total mmsi virgin it would seem this would be a useful option in some of the group runs.. I'm gonna have to play with it. Or just YouTube it.. Lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am very keen to see y’all making calls while your bow is pointing 45 degrees skywards every 5 seconds.
I am so planing on buying a couple of gopros and document all that. :D
There IS the possibility of good weather ya know. And this would make giving directions obsolete once there. Example: "hey, how do i get to sapona?"
" friend chimes in, "oh hey just ping me, i am here!" Boom ping him and coordinate on gps and on your way.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Example: "hey, how do i get to sapona?"
" friend chimes in, "oh hey just ping me, i am here!" Boom ping him and coordinate on gps and on your way.
On your way to the shallows and rocks that surround the Sapona.......

You need to watch your plotted carefully. Even if you are following someone with experience.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's all good

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On your way to the shallows and rocks that surround the Sapona.......

You need to watch your plotted carefully. Even if you are following someone with experience.
Sure enough, keeping a visual lookout is always prudent. Never know when you might be on the opposite side of a peninsula from your buddy.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sure enough, keeping a visual lookout is always prudent. Never know when you might be on the opposite side of a peninsula from your buddy.
Ever see the video of the exciter jumping land?