• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

June 18th - Pre-Bimini Crossing - Explore Ft. Lauderdale From The Water

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weather permitting, I’m planning on exploring the water near Bahia Mar on June 18th, prior to the Bimini crossing. Does anyone have any recommendations on some must-see, must do items to include in my day’s itinerary? With limited insight into the area, I’m thinking of two options:

1. A sheltered, relaxing cruise up the New River/Tarpon River and back. This would probably be the safest and easiest thing to do.

2. If the wind and waves allow, a beach cruise up to the Hillsboro Inlet followed by a return via the ICW would offer variety. I’d estimate about two hours to casually make it to the Hillsboro Inlet, and about 4 hours to return via the ICW. I haven't looked into whether I can actually navigate the ICW from Hillsboro Inlet to the Bahia Mar. There may be obstacles that I am unaware of.

On the 19th, I plan on doing my grocery shopping, and final preparations for the crossing on the 20th while my family enjoys the beach across the road from the Bahia Mar.

I’d appreciate it if anyone with experience in the area could offer some guidance/insight.

Thanks.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In 2013 we cruised around downtown the day before the trip. It was neat but it's all no wake and ate a LOT of gas.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you make it up the New River/Tarpon River, which we always enjoy, a great place to eat is the Pirate Republic Seafood & Grill . Unfortunately we won't be able to join in on the tour of Fort Lauderdale.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We'll be arriving on the 19th sometime early afternoon time frame since we're staying in the Ft. Pierce Holiday Inn on the 18th. I would love to get together with some group members and have dinner or boat out someplace!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm arriving late afternoon on the 17th. On the 18th, I'm thinking of doing a beach cruise up to the Hillsboro Inlet followed by a return via the ICW.
On the morning of the 19th, I'm thinking of cruising up the New/Tarpon river and checking out the restaurant that @andy07sx230ho mentioned, Pirate Republic And Seafood Grill, for lunch. I'm going to do some groceries (dry ice, meat, bread) on the afternoon of the 19th while my family lounges at the beach across from the Bahia Mar. It goes without saying that weather forecast may alter the plans. Although I don't have a great cooler, if I get into Ft. Lauderdale early enough on the 17th, I'm considering doing my groceries before launching at Harbour Towne, which will open up more options for the 19th. If you're interested in tagging along, just pm me your cell # so we can link up while in Ft. Lauderdale.
Does anybody know what the alcohol laws are for boating in Florida? In TX, we can consume alcohol in our boat, but the captain can't be drunk.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds good, the plan for us is to hit the publix grocery with @Bruce's family, then launch with all our gear at Harbor Town. I'm definitely down for meeting up and trying the restaurant for lunch, time permitting!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the 18th I am gonna cruise up the shoreline and do some snorkelling along the way. There are floats to tie up to along the reef (thanks @ClemsonTiger for the intel). Heading into the icw at Hillsboro. Going to stop at a restaurant for a late lunch on the way back to Bahia Mar. Casual, not rushed. All are welcome to join.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone spoke to Bahia Mar on how they're looking on rooms for the weekend. Still trying to see if my crew is willing to leave early enough either Friday night Saturday morning to make it all the way down & we may join ya. @MrMoose

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone spoke to Bahia Mar on how they're looking on rooms for the weekend. Still trying to see if my crew is willing to leave early enough either Friday night Saturday morning to make it all the way down & we may join ya. @MrMoose
I haven't been in touch with Bahia Mar to check on their occupancy. You'd be better to book rooms and then cancel prior to the cut-off if your plans are not quite firmed up.
You're absolutely welcome to join us. The more the merrier.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@MrMoose I jus confirmed my reservations for the 18th & 19th so we will be down on Saturday. Will update an eta closer to then.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In light of the current weather forecast, I'm going to forego pre-crossing days meant to explore Ft. Lauderdale in favor of giving the weather forecast an extra day before hitting the road. I can't justify towing 1200 miles without a reasonable chance of a safe crossing.
Sorry.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can cancel my reservations by Friday afternoon & be good, so I may do like most with the Thursday deadline to see how things are progressing