• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just not getting along with my Monterey. Second XD?

TommyMcK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This is just my personal experience, so take this for what it's worth.

I got a place in SW Florida recently that I'm spending half-time plus in. I also have a place on the Chesapeake (where I'm from and will always have a presence), and after letting go of my precious 2003 AR230, I've had a 222XD for the past year there. Well, in Florida, I reasoned that a Monterey 255SS was a more sensible boat. So, I got one. I have to say though that I just haven't got along with it. It's beautiful, but it handles like a pig at slow speeds, and it's just not as fun.

Charlotte Harbor is certainly no more choppy than the Chesapeake, but I swear that my 222XD handles the chop better in spite of the hull on the Monterey.

So, the current plan is to ditch the Monterey for a 255XD. We'll see how that nets out.

The icing on the cake was spending last weekend with the 222. It was far and away a better boat for me.

IMG_8509.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

would a 255fsh fit into the fla scene?

I got a place in SW Florida recently that I'm spending half-time plus in. I also have a place on the Chesapeake (where I'm from and will always have a presence), and after letting go of my precious 2003 AR230, I've had a 222XD for the past year there. Well, in Florida, I reasoned that a Monterey 255SS was a more sensible boat. So, I got one. I have to say though that I just haven't got along with it. It's beautiful, but it handles like a pig at slow speeds, and it's just not as fun.

Charlotte Harbor is certainly no more choppy than the Chesapeake, but I swear that my 222XD handles the chop better in spite of the hull on the Monterey.

So, the current plan is to ditch the Monterey for a 255XD. We'll see how that nets out.

The icing on the cake was spending last weekend with the 222. It was far and away a better boat for me.

View attachment 221668

View attachment 221669
Is it an illusion or is the outboard very far away from the actual hull? Could be why it handles like shit

would a 255fsh fit into the fla scene?
It most certainly would. But I’m a fool for the wake boats. It’s more of a looks thing than a wake performance thing. I love the looks of the black / blue scheme and I’m more of a dual console person anyway.

Is it an illusion or is the outboard very far away from the actual hull? Could be why it handles like shit

It’s not an illusion. That thing hangs way off of the back. It’s fine underway, but reverse just doesn’t do what you think it will. I’ve had plenty of outboards and stern drives, but this one is different. Doing a 180 requires way more room than it should. Having said that, it’s a good stable boat and the outboard is as quiet as a church mouse. It’s just not for me I’m afraid.

View attachment 221668

View attachment 221669

interesting. I have a AR 250 which I think is perfect for Lake Anna. For the Chesapeake I would think a center console would be the perfect boat. For south west Florida who knows - depends on where you are

interesting. I have a AR 250 which I think is perfect for Lake Anna. For the Chesapeake I would think a center console would be the perfect boat. For south west Florida who knows - depends on where you are
Deadrise on the fsh and the xd are the same (if we trust the numbers). My 222xd has no problem crossing the bay in anything resembling normal conditions. I’m not a big fisherman (except off of my pier) so the center console configuration isn’t a big positive for me.

Back