• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just picked up a 2015 sx190 that was in salt water.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I finally got a jet boat, and I could not be happier. She had 41 hrs on it a week ago now it has 63 lol. I took a deeper look at the engine and noticed rust and corrosion on the bolts and the head and I wanted to know if I should do something? To me it looks like the original owner did not put one of the plugs in and flooded the compartment and spun water over the engine but I am just guessing.

If the original owner did not flush the boat correctly is there something I should look for or can this cause bad issues down the road. She is under warranty till June 2020 so that makes me feel better, but I would like to know if I should replace anything or is this damage cosmetic only. To me it looks really bad for a 2 year old boat. IMG_5587[1].JPG IMG_5585[1].JPG IMG_5586[1].JPG

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would certainly spray everything with Yamaha lube or silacon something. Did you take off the plastic engine cover? Because you are missing the top of your engine

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I removed it for the photo

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would use saltaway and washout the entire area thoroughly. Then use a product like Boeshield or a safe rust inhibitor to coat everything that is not plastic.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like that boat might have come from us originally , Cycle Springs. We grease the oil filters to prevent rusting around the rim and also spray the clamps with white grease.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did buy it from you :) I can tell it was greased she rides great I just want to know if this looks normal for a 2 year old boat? I plan on cleaning it best I can.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm no expert but I too was thinking LIGHTLY spray some Salt Away on the areas. Probably wipe down real good and Let dry. Then spray with some YamaLube (black and blue can).

I used to spray Boeshield T-9 on mine but it got clumpy over time when I rinsed my engines off with water. Although that could of been my fault. I may have sprayed too much. I've switched to YamaLube for the engines and T-9 for everything else.

Important: You need to check all of your hose clamps under your swim platform. Make sure they aren't rusted too. I had some break off so I replaced all of them with new Stainless Steele Clamps.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely follow the advise above and use salt away to wash everything in the engine bay. That seems like a ton of corrosion to me but i'm still a noob i guess. Our 2014 is as spotless as the day it left the factory, but i don't run salt water either. Do you think there was a chance it was partially sunk? or submarined maybe?

I think a day of cleaning out the engine bay and inside the the swim platform will bring lots of dividends for you in the future. Best of luck with you're boat! Sounds like you love it a lot already!

Last edited:

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks I will post some photos after cleaning.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After talking to my local Yamaha dealer he wants one of the techs to look at her, I want to make sure this does not void my warranty. I do have to say I am not happy with the dealer for not disclosing this.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That does not look normal for such low numbers. I would be concerned and pissed at the dealer

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow I missed that this was a dealer sale! Def bring it back or send photos.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I take it that it was a used boat you bought from the dealership? Still has full warrantee?

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2015 sx190, ran only in salt water and the engine looks as nice as day I bought it. 50 hr's on it

I flush engine with saltaway after each outing and spray silicon over the engine once it's cooled off. No rust in my engine bay at all.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2015 242LS has been in salt water its whole life and remains very clean with no corrosion. There has been some water in that engine compartment for sure. IMO, you have cause to complain to your dealer, but need to understand what you ultimately want from them; return the boat? have them replace the corroded fasteners? document the condition to avoid surprises on future warranty claims? Salt Away is your friend, for sure, and I always followup by letting it dry a bit then spraying everything with WD40 (big blast can makes it very easy to coat large areas). Second the recommendation to pull the access hatch in back and check the hose clamps; found two busted clamps just last weekend, and several others look dicey.

Enjoy the new ride !!!

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the advice I am going to ask the dealer to replace all the bolts, I did replace all the clamps in engine bay and under the hatch in the back with SS ones. Saltaway is unreal the engine looks new after 4 treatments I am impressed. The dealer had the boat online for 3 hrs before I called on it, she was a 2015 sx190 with 41hrs, tinted windows, dual battery kit, seablaze mini lights, new black Yamaha cover, and all service records for 19k. I still feel real good about the deal just need $100 worth of bolts to make it 100%.

I took her out today after doing the ribbon delete with riva sleeve, and riva power filter kit hitting 7750 from 7400 and 48mph on digital tac with my wife and 2 kids. Installing a Garmin echo 301dv next week I do not think the speed is right.

Astinus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I take it that it was a used boat you bought from the dealership? Still has full warrantee?
Yes and yes she has full warranty till June 2020

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like just surface pitting because the last guy didn't take the time to wash and silicone the engine after use. Doesn't look like too much of a big deal, spray it down with a good anticorrosive spray like bose shield or sea-doo spray, if the valve cover really bothers you then remove it and have it glass beaded clean. I have customers with a lot worse corrosion then what you have, just makes the engine look crappy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
......Saltaway is unreal the engine looks new after 4 treatments I am impressed. ........
Any chance you could post some "after" shots of the cleaning? I'm really curious how well it cleaned. I've been a freshwater boater my whole life, and have never seen corrosion like that, even on some boats that sit in the water year-round up here!