• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just picked up a 2018 242 s e seris

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Traded in a 2013 Sx192 with 120 hours on it.
Went in looking at 17 242 limited s and ended up leaving with a 18 blue 242 limited s e seris.
Sizzle marine in Columbus, OH took great care of me.

Really looking forward to more space and more horsepower. Ready for some warm weather in Ohio.

How are the lateral thrusters for sale?

Any immeadiate upgrades mandatory?
Did not do much to my Sx192.

Attachments

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase. . . . AND Welcome aboard!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Congrats! That is quite an upgrade. For steering, the Cobra MegaFang system made docking so much easier for me. I would also say the boat buckles are a mandatory upgrade. I just installed mine and they are WELL worth the $100.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You should get rid of that terrible shipping cover, I'll take it off your hands.

Congrats on the new boat!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats! That is quite an upgrade. For steering, the Cobra MegaFang system made docking so much easier for me. I would also say the boat buckles are a mandatory upgrade. I just installed mine and they are WELL worth the $100.
I think the newer boats are coming with trailers with the retractable transom straps already equipped. At least mine did and all the ones at my local dealer are.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the newer boats are coming with trailers with the retractable transom straps already equipped. At least mine did and all the ones at my local dealer are.
My 2014, AR240 came with boat buckles from the factory.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2014, AR240 came with boat buckles from the factory.
I wonder where the break is when they started installing them from the factory? I see a lot of posts recommending them as an upgrade, so they must not have come with them at some point?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My 2017 didn’t. It might be a dealer upgrade. Like how some car dealer put tint on or something like that. Either way lucky for you guys! The straps were pure garbage.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually my 2016 did come with the (low grade) boat buckles, so I take it back.

--

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
i believe they are installed on 24's only

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2017 didn’t. It might be a dealer upgrade. Like how some car dealer put tint on or something like that. Either way lucky for you guys! The straps were pure garbage.
They didn't come on the 21ft series in the same year. . . . I believe they started offering them on the 24ft AR240 and up boats in '14

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations! Now the brutal wait for warmer weather.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome boat, I have the 2016 version. The only work I've done has been to the trailer, I changed the trailer jack and replaced the bow roller. My next steps are

1. Grill - probably bow mounted to leave the swim platform open
2. Additional ballast - might just throw bags on the swim platform, not sure yet.

Other than they, get all of the toys you want and enjoy the heck out of it. I'm curious about the wake created from the 2018 compared to the 2016, supposed to have improved.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you tow any distance, get those crappy bias-ply tires off the trailer and go with Radials. You won't be sorry...as I upgraded my old trailer to radials and the new one to new wheels and tires. With my 2017, I went with Good Year Endurance Tires (load D in our 14" size) as well as aluminum wheels I bought on line for about $75 each. I took the stock wheels and tires off my trailer and sold them locally on Craigslist for $300. So basically the price of upgrading my wheels cost $75. I don't count the price of the tires as I was going to upgrade those regardless.

If you have a chance, upgrade your batteries. I got a $200 credit on batteries from my dealer and had them install the group 27 & 31 I had in my old boat (they are now only 3 seasons old). They will perform much better than anything your dealer will install.

You'll have to fight with it for a season (before the boss will let you upgrade), but look at going with some Sea-Dek replacement for that carpet. I found it to be a pain all last year as water was always under it and it seemed like after every trip I had to remove it and hang it to dry. This year I'm installing Sea-Dek and won't look back.

One other small mod I did was I fount a small kids' sticker and placed it on the aluminum portion of the steering wheel to indicate the helm is centered. Since these boats have rack & pinion steering, it's hard at no wake speeds to tell if the wheel is centered. I found a small sticker on the wheel helps give a visual reference.

If you're doing any tow sports, either get a good GPS unit or a good app for your phone. I've found that when at wake surf speeds, the cruise control will often be slow by 1-2 MPH. When I took it in, Yamaha said this was within specs and nothing to change. The work-around is to bump the speed up until the boat is holding at the speed you want it to.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat. Tons of great info here.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations on your purchase! I just bought a 2018 242 e series too.... bluetooth issue and will post a separate thread about it.

Thai929

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! I’m still new to mods also but sounds like steering fins and Seadek is a must.