• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just picked up a new Sea-Doo SPARK!

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
A new accessory to the Yamaha "mother ship" has been added!... a Sea-Doo Spark HO with IBR brakes. I haven't had a chance... nor has it been warm enough... to take it out for a rip yet, but the reviews of this little puppy are thru the roof. Back to the old school. Small, light, "flickable", and fast off the line. Not a go straight in a line going 75mph deal... but more of a jumping wakes and 180's type ski.

I'll have a full report after the first outing in a few weeks once we crack 75 degrees or so. Now how to trailer the boat and this little beastie at once..

IMG_3754 - Version 2.jpg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new toy!!!

I saw them at the boat show earlier this year and was really impressed with the price. I think it's a good looking ski as well. It would be great for our family with younger kids. We really wouldn't have any need to go 75mph. Just something economical to have some fun with on the weekends. I keep trying to talk my wife into one but so far no luck.

I will be interested to hear what you have to say about it.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Eagerly awaiting your review. I think seadoo hit a home run with these...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. I agree with the above posts. I used to love my stand ups and also our old 2 seater. Mainly for the maneuverability. Hopefully this will be a return to that style of riding.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want a pair of them but too many projects this year. Maybe in 2015.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats, I remember that I upgraded to waverunmers with two months left in the season and used the boat maybe once the rest of that season. They were that much fun. I hope you have the same experience.

If the ski is short and light enough maybe you could put it on the swim deck.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It would be really tough for me to part with my Honda but I admit I did look at them when they were released last summer. Cool looking ride and if I didnt have one I would be down.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
" Now how to trailer the boat and this little beastie at once.."

Not sure if you have ever seen this, but this is how another member handles the boat and ski's. Enjoy!

towig triples.jpg

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hope Doo created a trend. I would love to see Yam come out with a modern blaster 1. The issue is that yam doesn't have an engine to throw in. They're all large heavy 4 stroke engines.

My two all time favorite skis were my superjet and my blaster 1! Awesome skis and so much fun in the surf!!

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It was 84 degrees in the Delta here in California last Sunday… and the Spark was screaming out for it’s maiden rip.

Boy they have done something special with this.

In a word… a… blast!

This thing is light, nimble, flickable, and is designed to be thrown around. An MX bike for the water if you will.

Throw it sideways and let the back slide out. Throttle it up and put the nose in the air. Jump a few wakes. Throw some spins. I put it in sport mode, and literally laughed out loud.

This is the old school fun that has been missing the jumbo “boats” of a PWC being made by the big 3 over the last few years. This is something different.

While 90HP may not sound like a ton, the whole thing is a hair over 400lbs. The power to weight ratio is quite high… and it shows… it jumps off the line.

While I was still in break-in, and I didn’t want to wring its neck off the bat, I attained a max 52MPH as measured by the built-in GPS speed. This was plenty. Seriously. It’s a little, short, ski… and it felt fast. This is not a long-range cruiser. You’ll get tired on such a small craft, but I managed to throw down an approximate 25 miles in a quick half day of noodling around… running into some friends on the beach… and burned a whopping 3 gallons of fuel. Nooot bad.

The IBR brakes are strong. Stops quickly. If you really apply them, it will nearly slam you into the handlebars. Strong. They really shined around the dock… reversing… and easing it in. An absolutely must-have - and really glad I got them.

I have a few of the Sea-Doo Spark specific accessories and they all worked well. Rubber mats – fine. Snap in side bumpers are great… literally snap on and off… simple and fast… no ropes. Rear wet storage mesh bag bolted onto the back for bumpers and docking lines is handy and easily accessible.

All-in, with the HO version with IBR, convenience package, trailer, accessories, taxes/freight/registration… ran $9500. Clearly a bunch more than the low end $4999 60hp model before taxes and with nothing else… but worth every penny.

They have a hit on their hands… will sell a ton of these… and it will really be interesting to see what future variants they will come up with based upon the anticipated success.

Even more interesting will be Yamaha’s response. Will there be a “new” Wave Blaster brewing? I think they’ll have to respond. Look forward to it… it seems like the Spark has started something new here.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a lot of fun. Any pics?

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hows the stability in slow speeds? can you stand up at slows speeds without tipping over. Could you fish off it effectively

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well you definitely got me interested so I stopped at a friends dealership this morning to check it out. There were some things I really liked and a couple I didn't.

The coolest thing is that you can already tweak the ECU to pump out 110hp. That'll make this thing rip. No need to buy the 90hp model since either engine can be bumped up to 110hp he said.

The downsides... I went to look at the engine and the only access is a very small engine hatch on the left side!! To do any work to the engine you have to remove the entire top hull!! WTF!! I was considering towing it behind the boat and putting a cutoff on the water intake line but you have zero access to that area. Bummer. Doesn't look like you can tow this which now makes me question buying one.

Oh, and it also comes "naked" for $4999. To get the front storage it's just an additional $300. Not a big deal but it looks stupid with a hole in the front otherwise.

Still a lot of bang for the buck especially if you can pump out 110hp!!

Oh one other thing... The hull is plastic! I'm very curious how this will hold up surf jumping.

Last edited:

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Alas no pics... was too busy getting busy. ;)

Will be sure to grab some next time!

Now back to how to transport the Spark and the boat. I looked into the double trailer idea, and I _think_ it looks like it requires a commercial class A license in California. I'm still not clear on that. Mount the Spark on the back deck of the boat? While I have no idea how it would be done, how ridiculously cool would it to be to have an "escape" vessel off the back of the mother ship?

Stability at slow speeds is ok. I never felt like I was going to tip over and fall out when slow or at a stop, however I wouldn't recommend really putting all your weight on one side... or standing on one side... it's likely going to dump you out. Fishing is probably not it's target market. Could be done, but not sure it would be my first choice... just in terms of storage and all-day "space" to hang out.... I'd likely go with something larger.

Skysurfer... the engine access hatch on the side is really only for quick checks, battery access, spray down etc. What's _really_ impressive is the entire top unbolts from the hull. I've read others say they are down to 10 minutes getting it off... literally just bolts around the edge holding the sandwich together. Once you have the top off... you literally have access to _everything_ inside.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still debating on picking one up just for fun. I'm just nervous with it being a Doo, first year production run, and the plastic hull. I'd also need to figure out a way to tow it behind the boat safely.

When I owned three skis I built a rack for my pickup. I'd throw two on my double trailer and slide the third in the back of my truck.

wardial

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
... and the aftermarket is just beginning to release things.

ECU maps... performance intake grate... tuned impeller... air intakes.... exhaust.... and turbo.... to start.

Too bad none of these things really came to fruition for our big boats.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You would never see significant results in our boats. Too much friction from the size of the hulls and too much weight. It's easy to mod a 400lb 9 foot ski and see decent results.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recall reading that in CA and many other states that to tow two trailers in tandem requires the first to be attached to the tow vehicle by a 5th wheel. This may be where a different class license requirement comes in.

I've seen a 600 lb Seadoo carried in a cradle on the extended tongue of a boat trailer. I think that adds too much to the tongue weight to be safe.

A few years ago someone had a holder custom fitted to the back of their boats trailer so that there super jet could be carried left to right on it. The carriage would have to be manually removed and installed to allow the boat to be launched and recovered.

On the swim deck would require some special mounts to hug the hull, like those that hold dinghies on cruisers or canoes on top of cars.

If you tow with a truck maybe be a roller system in the bed would work.

Last edited: