• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

K&N Cold Air Intake Opinions Wanted.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just purchased a new to me 2012 Ford F-150. It has the 5.0 V8 engine. I also purchased K&N cold air intake. I've read mixed reviews on line so I've decided to come to the most knowledgable site anywhere on just about anything.

Does anyone have one installed and what's your opinion of the product?

image.jpeg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Help me understand this. Is it just a device that fools the computer by giving it a fixed input? Is its purpose to get more power?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to K&N

Information
The K&N AirCharger 63-2581 air intake system replaces your vehicle’s restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. This allows your vehicle’s engine to inhale a larger amount of air than the factory air filter assembly. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine’s RPM range. The 63-2581 air intake comes with a chrome topped K&N high-flow air filter inside a heat shield that mounts to the lower air box. The position of the air filter inside the heat shield helps direct cooler, denser air into the custom molded intake for a guaranteed power gain. The oversized air filter can be used for up to 100,000 miles before servicing is needed depending on driving conditions. This air intake is relatively easy to install requiring only a screwdriver and several wrenches. This air intake cannot be sold in California. It is not legal for use in California or other states adopting California emission standards.
  • Guaranteed horsepower gain
  • Designed to improve throttle response and engine sound
  • Free-flowing high density polyethylene tube
  • Replaces entire factory air intake system
  • Lasts up to 100,000 miles before service is required (depending on driving conditions)
  • Easy to install, usually in 90 minutes or less
  • K&N Million Mile Limited Warranty

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The theory is that it allows more air and colder air into the engine for better performance and fuel economy. The concern is that the filter might be more porous than a traditional paper filter allowing more fine particles into the engine.

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had 1 in my Hemi powered Ram 2500.
It looked cool - it sounded cool when you got on the gas and heard it sucking in air - but it didn't do anything more.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The amount of horse power gain is minimal, about 1-3%. You would never feel the difference other that then the sound. I have never been a big fan of them as I have seen the damage they can cause on a turbocharged engines (allowing particles to make it into the impeller) and they are no good for offroad use.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had just a K&N filter in the stock intake setup on my 01 F150 with the 5.4 2 valve. I don't know if it really did anything but lighten my wallet. According to the marketing it filters better then the paper filters, but who do you want to believe? It eventually started coming apart on me and it screwed up the O2 sensor and cost me more money. I went back to a quality paper filter and I didn't notice any difference in performance. I did put in a series 60 Flowmaster and I did notice some difference with that mod. I have a diesel now and I am sticking with factory filter by recommendation of everybody in the know that's in the business.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Think of your engine as a giant air pump. The more air you can get in and out, the greater the potential for power. The more efficiently your engine can pump air, the better. Problem is, we're not dealing with 150hp 5.0L V8's anymore. Now, we've got 4 cylinders making 300hp or better. 20 years ago, these things would make a pretty substantial difference. Today, they make noise. Engineers are squeezing everything they can out of these while keeping emissions in mind (most, anyway :p) If they could get an easy 5hp out of a "filter on a stick" as I call them, they'd already be on there.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for your opinions, I appreciate the advice. Anyone out there like the idea of using these types of products.

One thing I find interesting is that one of the first performance mods people often do to their boats is try to increase the airflow to the engines, through various methods, to gain more horsepower. These modifications seem quite acceptable to most of us. However, now we're talking about the same mod on a truck and so far everyone feels like it's a bad idea.

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Kinda sad isn't it... Tinkering with your pickup just ain't what it used to be. When I was in high school (almost 20 years ago... :(:(:eek::eek:) I bought 1994 GMC standard cab short bed 4WD 350TBI.. love that rig. (I've still got it! Still runs great!) Immediately put a fancy air cleaner... headers... dual exhaust with flowmasters... TBI spacer... transmission shift kit... hot chip in the ECM... blew up the rear end so put 3.73 gears in it... Good times! Back then it seemed worth while but these days the factory stuff is so good it's hard to make any gains if you're just gonna fart around with stuff like air cleaners. You want real gains you gotta spend real money. But hey... it's your truck! If a cold air kit makes you happy then go for it! I've always kinda liked the sound they make.. and they tend to free up a little space under the hood by getting rid of the big clunky air boxes that come in most vehicles these days. Just don't put the K&N sticker on your back glass... don't be that guy...

This is my first post here... guess I should go introduce myself..

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great first post @Higgy. Your right the new stuff just isn't the same as the older stuff. Of course every generation probably says that. I think since I have it I'm going to throw it on my truck and see for myself if there is any difference in performance or fuel consumption. Hell even if it just sounds better I might just keep it.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To me, the potential power increase is not worth the potential decrease in engine reliability. Had one in my M3. Sounded awesome when I got on the gas.

Steve

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had K&N's on 2 big ass CAT diesels in a 100' yacht. Loved the easy cleaning ability but there ain't much dust out on the water or in the engine room. I wouldn't put them on my truck because of the particulate matter passing.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks again for all of your opinions. Decided to sell the cold air intake. I decided that positives don't outweigh the negatives. The good news is I made a $50 profit on it in 24hours. I'll put that towards more boat mods!

Last edited: