• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard and the drain hole

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A... stupid place for a drain.
B... I was just about to start prepping for my keel guard install when I noticed this. How's everyone else handling it? Razor blade the keel guard?

1432936464271-350238198.jpg

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just start right below it...No? Don't think it would need to be up that higho_O

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd recommend starting the keel guard at or below the waterline. On my boat (going from memory) that would be down around the second chine. Or is it the third? Anyway, I think my drain is higher than yours.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I decided to give Megaware a call and get their thoughts on it... They don't know my boat exactly, but said I should start below the drain as long as the keelguard is at least six inches above the water line. They said the issue (particularly with jet boats) is that if the front of the guard catches the water, the water will eventually work it's way under it and rip it off. As long as it's at least six inches above the waterline, it shouldn't be an issue.

So, if anyone has an 08-10 212 in the water, I'd appreciate it if they could see how high that drain is above the water line... or better yet, post a picture of it for me. :)

Oh... they also said cutting it is a bad, bad idea. :S

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, start below it. I can take a pic of mine when I get home if needed.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
15" from the bottom of the bow hook puts mine just under the waterline at rest. On a 2015 ar240.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine was installed by the previous owner. Found a pic on my phone.

Screenshot_2015-05-29-19-57-28.png

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks! That's what I figured, it's just nice to be sure before scuffing up gel coat.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think mine is like ToddW850. Maybe a bit lower. I have not had any problem with it coming loose and beach, bounce off submerged trees and run really skinny water all the time.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have installed it both ways , that is above and below the anchor compartments drain. When above it I used a small hole saw to make an opening large enough to accommodate the drain/though hull fitting. The hardest part of doing this is making sure the hole, which was drilled on a bench, lined up with the though hull fitting when the keel guard was installed. That stated, I'd just install it below the drain unless I was worried more about what might hit the bow than keel.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just below the drain on my 08 sx210 which is the same hull. I would have mounted it slightly lower if going today. More like the pic above. Don't overthink it.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
mine starts just below the drain. keep in mind KeelShield recommends the front edge be 9" above the water line. that doesn't mean measuring 9" of keel (at an angle) - it means you measure straight up, perpendicular from the water (making the keel distance greater than 9"). but that's being anal ...like jaws said, don't overthink it.