• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard Length Considerations?

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for advise on keel guard length for a 242X? Guessing I would start below the bow eyelet but not sure how long to go and whether it matters or not (protection vs performance?). what color do you recommend for the 2019 blue 242X? Is there a brand preference? Thx

hope this is not one of those controversial topics :)

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a close match to my hull with megaware keelguard. Went with a 9 footer started about 8 to 10 inches from bow eye. And this is an old picture, that bow roller is long gone
20170201_161502.jpg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nothing controversial about it. Both are great products, and they have recommended lengths listed on their sites. In fact, they will also send out sample pieces for color matching if you request them.

Good luck!

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Went with a 12' Keel guard on a 242x starting about 12-18" under the bow eyelet (resting water level). The shop I worked with (certified Malibu & Cobalt repair) suggested this over their experience with mega given how pronounced the keel gets the farther back on the boat you go (I just amazon shipped it to the shop, so they had no skin in the game for brand). They said given the design and past experience, the Keelshield provides more flex to wrap around that keel.

Doubt you could go wrong with either one. Just sharing my experience.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was mistaken on my keelguard length. I just measured it. It is 12 foot as well

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both are great products and I've had them on both of my Yamaha's. Their websites make recommendations on length. On my 232, I ended up buying one that was 1-2 feet longer than recommended as it was considerably cheaper at the time. It didn't affect performance of the boat at all.

So my recommendation is look at what the manufacturers recommend for length, then shop based on price within that recommendation + 1-2 feet in length.

they do take a couple of hours to get on...and should be done when the hull is clean, dry and somewhat warm. Read the instructions as they have minimum recommended temps.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies. My previous 212SS boat came with one already installed by previous owner but I had no point of reference if it had any effect on performance like drag or splash, etc. So now with the new boat, trying to weigh in my options. I’m just struggling to justify scuffing the boat center rib to put this on in order to protect the area I just scuffed? :yawn: Seems counterintuitive!
My previous boat still got gouged one time next to the keel at the bottom likely from a rock while beaching so not sure how effective this thin strip is going to be?

I thought I’d ask anyways since you guys are always full of interesting prospectives.