• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone put a keel guard on their boat? Texoma has a few places we love to beach and currently we've just been sliding up face first on the beach and throwing a shore anchor down. I know this probably isn't the best thing to do since your rocking back n forth on sand and possibly a few rocks so we are hoping the keel guard does its job and protects the hull when we beach up. Any thoughts?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do it now! It doesn't take many beachings before the gel is rubbed off and you open up the fiberglass to water penetration. It's an easy mod to install on the trailer.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does the keel guard decrease efficiency or top speed very much?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keel guard or keel shield - SO worth doing. I found a big gash in mine washing it the other day (I used Keel Shield) - just thinking what it would do to my my gel coat and underlying fiberglass had I not have it there... :wideyed: :vomit:

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you consider the gelcoat that gets rubbed off on the trailer bunk carpet, imagine what the sand is doing to it. It's a little work lying under the trailered boat but well worth it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keel guard is great. No performance issues. Properly prepped, it's not coming off. I'd suggest getting a little extra primer or activator. What's included is just barely enough.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Years of keelgaurd protection and still a no-brainier. I liked mine to start right at the waterline. There is no way it would ever noticeably affect speed performance.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with everything said. Simple install. A little time on your back, but nothing challenging. I think they modified and put more primer in, because I had plenty (and left over). Two people probably makes it a cinch, but I put on mine myself. And I hardly ever beach--I just have it in case I am in some area too shallow (which has happened) or hit a rock. Cheap insurance.

JCKC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Allatoona Lake:Ga Kentucky Lake: Big Sandy, Tenn
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
DO IT! Cheap insurance. I had my son help me keep it straight. Follow prep instructions. When I see all the nicks in that piece of rubber I realize those are all that would have been on the boat if I hadn't done it.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do it now. As others have said, it's cheap insurance especially if you beach at all.

On a side note, when I purchased mine, they recommended a 9' Keel Guard however, I installed a 10' instead. The reason was simple: the 10' one was $25 cheaper and the extra foot of Keel Guard won't hurt anything down there. Morale of the story: check a longer length than needed, and maybe save yourself some $ for another mod...

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of the first things I added to the boat - just for insurance. One whole season and never actually came close to "using" it, but it sure felt better approaching a beach knowing it was there. Like others said, no performance hit.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always used Keel Guard but both products are very similar. Search online for your best price.

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don't people use 3M vinyl wrap instead of the keel guard? I feel that it'd reduce any potential turbulence better than the keel guard. I also saw an AR210 that had the keel line-x'd. Pretty sweet idea in my mind.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just put one on my boat this fall. It was showing some wear so i thought why not. It will help when we are just pulling in and not staying long. Not having to get the anchors out. The boat seems to track straighter now. I can take my hand off the wheel it it just goes straight. (No fins)