• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Keelguard loosing its grip

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just noticed the aft 16 inches of my keelguard has separated from my keel. The guard is still in good shape so I was thinking of reattaching that section. Has anybody tried this? If so, what product was used?

I bet if you call the KeelGuard folks they send you a whole new one with nice fresh adhesive...

Thanks @tdonoughue. I did consider that but I don't have any proof of purchase as my guard is about 8 years old. I was also hoping to do a quickie repair as I'm in the middle of building a large addition and would like to spend what little spare time I have in the boat, not under it. Replacement would be a good option this fall in my new 30' x 36' heated garage.

Fair enough. But they would also probably be the best source of the original-type sticky stuff (that would stick enough but not too much)... If you use epoxy or something like that you may never get it off if it gets damaged. If you use double stick tape, of course, it won't hold. I have to believe there is a happy medium (that they have investigated) and that will have all of your guard still stuck essentially the same way.

As to the receipt and all, it never hurts to ask. What can they do? Say no?

Fair enough. But they would also probably be the best source of the original-type sticky stuff (that would stick enough but not too much)... If you use epoxy or something like that you may never get it off if it gets damaged. If you use double stick tape, of course, it won't hold. I have to believe there is a happy medium (that they have investigated) and that will have all of your guard still stuck essentially the same way.

As to the receipt and all, it never hurts to ask. What can they do? Say no?
Good points @tdonoughue. I'll check it out. Thanks.

@Gym I had the same happen. I tried silicone but it only lasted half the season. I just ended up cutting it off. Let us know what you find.

Thanks @buckbuck. I put a call in to Keelguard to ask about warranty. I initially asked what they would recommend to repair my existing guard. They suggested West System 610. I went to West Marine but determined this 2 part epoxy is permanent like 3M 5200. I decided to use 3M 4200 to finish out the season.

On another note for you Keelguard owners. When I mentioned, to the customer service woman, that I had no receipt for the Keelguard she said all I would have to do is take pictures of the failed product to submit a warranty claim. I will do that before I repair my guard so I can replace it over the winter. That's great customer service for an 8 year old Keelguard.

I damaged the Keelguard on my Sugarsand, called Keelguard for any advise to remove the old one. The girl I spoke to asked for pictures. Upon seeing photos she said they would cover it,[ I never even asked] than asked what length guard it was as she noticed in the pics the tail end was coming loose. She said this can happen if the guard is too short. She sent me a new one 1 ft. longer, no charge even after 13 years and no receipt. So length might be something you want to consider

Back