• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

KeelShield - only 7 feet!

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I got a 7 foot roll of Keelshield for nothing - literally - nothing! Just a handshake and a thank you! I never put one on my 07 230 and didn't intend on putting one on our 13 AR240 either. We don't beach our boats and we don't plan to, but never say never right? Since this was given to me I might as well use it. My question is where should I position it? Higher up on the bow or further back on the hull? My thought is, based on others, is to start it a few inches below the water line while the boats at rest. Your thoughts/opinions are must appreciated.

I agree with your assessment Mike, the guard back at the stern won't help you much. Since if you bow in, the water is deeper behind the boat than in front of it. 7' would be plenty to start just below the waterline at rest and run back under the boat to protect the bow keel if you need to nudge into the beach to load/unload occasionally. Now if you literally intend to beach up onto the beach, then it might be ok, but you might want more there for that type of use. I don't beach mine, but I might want to pull in to pick someone up as described above on a cold water day, vs them having to wade out a tad to me, that guard would be nice for that.

Agree... Just below water line at rest. That will allow as much coverage on bottom as possible. I do not see the value in putting it all the way up to the bow eye unless one has a low dock to run into. On plane it will be out of the water to deflect any debris.

I had the dealer install my KeelGuard or Shield, not sure which one. It started pretty far down the hull, probably about 1-2' from the water line. Farther than I would have thought to put it. But since the guard is supposed to protect the hull, it probably should be pretty far down from the bow and protecting as much of the keel as it can. Or buy the longest one you can and put that on. It all comes down to where you are going to beach and how far up the bow you are going to hit sand/beach.

@txav8r @Seadeals @Noko, thank you Gentleman! I appreciate the feedback.

@Noko I've been meaning to tell you I grew up in Three Lakes, we lived right on Deer Lake. I could roll out my bedroom window right into the Lake. I was born in Rhinelander :D

My Grandfather, Carl O. Marty, built the Northernaire.

@Rigger Hey, that avatar you have is of my wife's boobs! Sadly no. I'll have to look up where you mentioned. I just bought my place up there last Oct. I grew up in northern Ill and we used to go up to Door County every summer. I bought the place on Lake Nokomis because my brother is there. Its really nice. I never would have thought of buying a retirement place in Wis. but we love it. People are nice, snowmobiling in winter and this is the main reason, beer is cheap!!!!! And our lake is really nice.

I'll have to look up the Northernaire. Lots of history up there. Lots of cool bars up there. Some are from the 1930's and are log construction. Different world.

I can't remember the length of KeelShield I installed (8 or 9ft)... but I best I can remember, I know I started above the water line, but I can't remember how far. My thought process was this... anytime the boat was in motion, I did not want the water flowing over the leading edge and possibly weakening the bond resulting in separation. Anytime the bow comes in contact with a fixed object, beach, ramp, etc. that initial contact would occur at or slightly above the water line (in most cases) and I wanted that area to be protected. If the KeelShield is an inch or two below the water line there could be the potential that a beaching could aid in peeling it from the hull. I don't think I have ever had the last three to four feet of it contact the beach. Thoughts?

I can't remember the length of KeelShield I installed (8 or 9ft)... but I best I can remember, I know I started above the water line, but I can't remember how far. My thought process was this... anytime the boat was in motion, I did not want the water flowing over the leading edge and possibly weakening the bond resulting in separation. Anytime the bow comes in contact with a fixed object, beach, ramp, etc. that initial contact would occur at or slightly above the water line (in most cases) and I wanted that area to be protected. If the KeelShield is an inch or two below the water line there could be the potential that a beaching could aid in peeling it from the hull. I don't think I have ever had the last three to four feet of it contact the beach. Thoughts?

I haven't had my guard that long so I can't say for sure what I would do. I don't think water is going to peel this thing off. I would be more worried about how high up my bow is going to contact the area where I would be beaching. I think the Keel Guard website recommends a 10" strip for a boat of 24', but I don't know for sure and don't quote me on that. TheKeekGuard site has a length for each boat. I think it comes down to personal preference and what you think you might run into. If you are going to beach near a seawall as I do sometimes, maybe having the guard come up to the bow eye is what you want. My KeelGuard is probably about 1-2' below the bow eye and that's where the dealer installed it. I think they have done a few installations and I trust them. I know, not all dealers can be trusted but I have had a good experience with these guys. And I run a bumber/fender lengthwise across my bow if I think I need it. I'm still learning how to drive this thing. :)

I just installed mine and basically eyeballed it to be about at the waterline for the start. It goes probably half way back. I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. We are talking about 1-2' tops either way. The prime spot is at the low point on the front of the keel, and everything covers that.

This is the best pic I can find at the moment of where I started the KeelShield on my boat (her boat) ;) it looks like about 3 inches above the waterline...

GOPR0205e.JPG

image.jpg
Had an 8 on my 210. Used a 9 for my 240 pic here...

JawsF16, that's about where mine starts also. I'm not concerned with it showing, because I'm really the only one who sees it.
Guys, it's not just about beaching the boat, although it does a great job protecting your hull if you do beach it….but I have hit submerged objects at least 3 or 4 times, from floating debris to rocks (okay, very slow speed on the rocks, but still…) and every time the keel guard has protected my boat from damage. It's a no-brainer, put it on and forget about it - your hull will thank you.

I don't beach anymore. I just anchor in the shallows. I originally was not going to put on another one with the new boat but I decided that since our lakes are down, more possibility for debris or rocks etc and it will protect it. Just like @jetlagged says, just put it on there baby!!

I installed mine up to the drain for the anchor locker.

Edit: added a picture

Attachments

• keelshieldinstall4.JPG
    keelshieldinstall4.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 25
  • keelshieldinstall6.JPG
    keelshieldinstall6.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
@cwoav8r @tdonoughue @jawsf16 @jetlagged @jetboater4life @bgood188 thank you all very much for the awesome pics and feedback. I just went and opened up the package with the thought of possibly doing the install this weekend and I found the squeegee and adhesive activator missing :(. Remember this was given to me so no complaints here. The backing on the shield looks untouched and the scratch pad is present. I emailed KeelShield to see what substitutes they might recommend or if they can send me these two items. I'm assuming the adhesive activator is sort of important. So for now I'm just waiting. I guess tomorrow I'll mark where the "at rest water line" is for reference. More to follow…

@Rigger , sweat not. I have an extra primer I didn't even open and the burnisher I don't need anymore. PM me your address...

Back