• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keep Garmin 44cv or return and upgrade to SIMRAD GO7 XSE?

Zak77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I picked up a new to me SX230 last week and want/need to install a chartplotter/fishfinder. I originally purchased the Garmin 44cv from West Marine as I've used one in the past on rental boats down in the keys. But now wondering if I should spend the extra $$$ (Little over twice as much) for the SIMRAD GO7 as it seems to be the GSP/Fishfinder of choice lately here?

Thanks,
Zak

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the 44cv on a previous boat, it's a really nice unit. I ended up going with the Go7 on this boat because I wanted a larger display.

Zak77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting you had both! Besides the larger screen, any other features that make the GO7 that much better? the included transducer and software better on one vs the other? Charts etc.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I liked that it was touchscreen, navigating around the garmin is a bit clunky at times. Also like the idea of setting a route from my phone and transferring it to the unit (haven't actually tried that, yet). Have not installed the transducer, not sure if I want to yet. Fish finding isn't important to me, and I get depth out of Connext.

Last edited:

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The Go7 has multiple features that the Garmin does not support. However, that does not mean you should get the Simrad. A lot of people buy all the bells and whistles and never utilize them or buy something based on aesthetics alone.

You have to ask yourself...is the extra $ worth having the options yet not utilizing them or is the extra $ worth the look and feel? Neither decision is wrong, up to each person.

If your not a fisherman and boat in freshwater...the Garmin will satisfy most people's needs.

Zak77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @ClemsonTiger . We will be mainly using our boat in the local bays, Chesapeake and Barnagate bays. Upper parts of the Chesapeake though as it's only an hour away. Some lakes, maybe a river here and there. I love to fish as does my youngest daughter so we'll be trying to fish as much as possible. typically when we've rented boats in the past we spend 6-8 hours on them fishing, cruising, swimming etc so the SX230 seemed perfect blend of what we wanted.

This summer we are spending a week in Cape Cod and will be towing the boat up with us. We'll be going after strippers and blues up there as well as sight seeing and cruising around seeing the marine life.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Features the G07 has that Garmin 44 does not support:

• Multiple chartplotting maps (via SD)
  • High frequency (488kHz for downscan/forwardscan)
  • Wifi (for software updates)
  • Autopilot controller (irrelevant for jet boats as it requires hydraulic steering)
  • Radar support

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could also investigate an upgrade to a higher series Garmin and pick up some of the features along with a larger screen without spending 2x as much and possibly paying for features you may not use. Worth looking into maybe.

Zak77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll probably have to head down to the local West marine to see what the options are. I've never purchased one before (except the lower end garmin I have now) and bought the Garmin as I've used it in the Keys a few times. Not to many marine stores near us, so need to plan a little drive this weekend.

I brought up the GO7 as I've seen it mentioned quite a few times on here. Any other one's people would recommend taking a look at?

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Personally I’m a Simrad guy. I especially dislike Garmin due past experience with them.

I have Simrad 12evo2, autopilot, 3D scan, engine diagnostics.

Raymarine makes a good product but they use a lot of add ons for their features.

Basically it comes down to personal preference. All brands do basically the same functions just in different manners.

Last edited:

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll probably have to head down to the local West marine to see what the options are. I've never purchased one before (except the lower end garmin I have now) and bought the Garmin as I've used it in the Keys a few times. Not to many marine stores near us, so need to plan a little drive this weekend.

I brought up the GO7 as I've seen it mentioned quite a few times on here. Any other one's people would recommend taking a look at?
If you're heading down to the one in Delaware off of 40, I might head there Saturday. I have a garmin VHF that I'm not super thrilled about that I just bought last weekend.