• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keeping my ropes safe?!

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am taking my kids out tubing for the first time this weekend. I was hoping for advice on ensuring that I don't suck up my tow rope into the impellers during our outing...it sure looks like it would be easy to get the rope to close to the intakes?! Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use a bright white floating rope so I can see where it is when it is slack in the water.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how was your first day out last weekend?

you'll eventually end up ingesting one, it just happens,

If you're the only responsible party then just be vigilant, when you start the engines try to turn away from the tube or ropes until they are clearly free and then straighten the boat out,

also, when the wind blows keeping the ropes from getting tangled under the jets while stopped can be an issue, just monitor it and get them started floating in the right away from the boat instead of into it,

it's not difficult,

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an idea, haven't tried it. What about running the rope through some noodles? Just at the beginning, not the entire length.

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an idea, haven't tried it. What about running the rope through some noodles? Just at the beginning, not the entire length.
I like the noodle idea...we are new boaters and I'm glad I stopped by! Heading out with the family to Powell tomorrow and we will be doing a lot of towing of the grandsons. I think we will try the noodle idea, I'll let you know how it goes ;)

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Engines off unless the rope handler/spotter gives all clear!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Make sure whoever the spotter is doesn't wrap the rope around their body or limbs anyway incase it grabs. It will tighten and pull fast and dangerously if ingested. Someone had someone recently get hurt that way. It was minor but could of been a lot worse

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how was your first day out last weekend?

you'll eventually end up ingesting one, it just happens,

If you're the only responsible party then just be vigilant, when you start the engines try to turn away from the tube or ropes until they are clearly free and then straighten the boat out,

also, when the wind blows keeping the ropes from getting tangled under the jets while stopped can be an issue, just monitor it and get them started floating in the right away from the boat instead of into it,

it's not difficult,
We went out to Lake Worth on Sunday...it was great! Only had one mishap...I had a guy throw a fishing line out in front of my boat at the dock while I was parking the truck/trailer. While trying to stay out of his way, I bumped a boat behind. I was going slow so now big deal other than the embarrassment of looking like the first timer I am! The only other issue was struggling to retrieve the anchor (apparently it dug in pretty good). But we all (including the boat) made it home in one piece, so I call that a successful outing!!! I'm looking forward to taking the kids out tomorrow. We are headed to Lake Grapevine!

Gerry Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the noodle idea...we are new boaters and I'm glad I stopped by! Heading out with the family to Powell tomorrow and we will be doing a lot of towing of the grandsons. I think we will try the noodle idea, I'll let you know how it goes ;)
How many noodles are you thinking...2 or 3?! I might give that a try as well!!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never back up with a rope in the water, forward momentum and wide turns are your friend. When I double back to pick up a tuber or other water sports enthusiast I come in with my ropes trailing straight out behind me hit reverse real quick to stop forward momentum when I get to the person in the water and then quickly kill both engines. I never restart the engines unless I get an all clear. If I don't have someone I can trust watching the ropes then I pull all the rope onto the swim platform, push the tube and occupants straight away from the boat and then start the engines as their momentum is pulling the rope off of the swim deck. That way there is never any slack rope in the water to suck up.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X2 on what Scuba-ref said.

When a rider goes down, I keep forward momentum and do a U-turn around them to pick them up. I usually have good rope handlers on board and before I start the engines again, I ask "rope clear?" then don't start until I hare "rope clear". it's become habit for us now.

If we've changed riders out, we will then lay the rope on the rear swim platform and let it play out as the boat idles away from the rider. This is a good way to see where all of the rope is (and see that it's not under the boat). My rope watchers also call out "10 feet" when there's about that much rope left on the deck.

finally, when I have a new person on board, I always stress the importance of watching the rope to make sure it doesn't get sucked into an engine because if it does, then everyone gets to hear me cuss [at them] while I'm sweating like a stuck pig, for the next hour as I'm cutting a $70 rope out of the drive shaft. That usually gives them motivation to watch the rope. I say it in a fun way, but they get my point.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's my take. . . . .all the advice above is fine and well. . . . but above all, clear concise communication is KEY.

Whomever the rope spotter is must understand exactly what you expect of them, why, and how to do it. They must also understand what you want them to tell (or yell at) you. For example "KILL IT" in the even you need to cut the engines, "FORWARD" in the event you are near the rope but not imminently about to suck it up, ect. . . . . Words like "stop" could be misconstrued with other people on the boat especially kids.

You can choose your own words for whatever scenarios you want your spotter to address. . . . but clear, quick, concise communication is a must in a situation where there will be stress involved and you may have to act FAST.

Furthermore, as Captain YOU are responsible for the situational awareness required to pilot the vessel.

Good Luck and happy boating.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We used this our first time tubing and it was super easy to spot the rope when the kids fell off and we were retrieving them. When first starting out, we had all the rope and booster ball on the swim deck and my wife slowly let the line out as I was moving forward. Highly recommend. 3 hours of tubing and no proplems.
Screenshot_20170707-201123.png
20170705_181842.jpg

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried the noodle trick and it made more of a splash.

For the rope though I coil the rope on the swim deck and idle forward and let it pay out slowly. So far I am good to go.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@CraigAR - I've seen those quite a few times. What's the benefit of having one of those "booster balls"?

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@CraigAR - I've seen those quite a few times. What's the benefit of having one of those "booster balls"?
The selling point is that you can whip your riders on the towable better. The other benefits are to make the rope longer and get riders out of the jet wash. Also I think there might me a benefit of helping keep the rope from the intake, but this is a slight help I would guess

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It keeps the rope out of the water reducing drag on the tube, less stress on the tube and minimizes rope spray.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The selling point is that you can whip your riders on the towable better. The other benefits are to make the rope longer and get riders out of the jet wash. Also I think there might me a benefit of helping keep the rope from the intake, but this is a slight help I would guess
It's more so that your not jerking them when the rope catches back up to the tube without the booster ball. But yes, it does help sliding them out to the side of the boat and back over the wave. My biggest selling point was as the driver, I can always see the rope. I do have a spotter but I'm anal about being in control:D

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have learned not to trust anybody but myself to check for the intakes being clear of ropes. No matter how much I've emphasized, to others on the boat, the necessity of keeping the ropes away from the intakes they simply forget. Even when I've asked if the ropes are clear and get a "yes clear," they may not indeed be clear. So I get up out of my captain's chair, step to the back and check for myself. The three or four times, over 8 years, I've sucked up a rope it has cost me 1/2 hour or more of effort to clear the ropes. One time I had to limp back on one engine and actually remove the pump to clear the rope. The small effort to check by myself is a small price to pay.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All my ropes have a 12" section of pool noodle spaced so it floats about 3' behind the boat. Haven't sucked up a rope since, but that could be due to experience. You only do it once! The noodle work and are cheap and easy fix. Cam.