• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Key to push button conversion 2004 AR210

Robssewer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking to convert my key ignition to a push button/toggle start stop. I want to eliminate the keys and just use a toggle and push button. Anyone done this on a 2004 Yamaha AR210? Trying to figure out how to wire the switch and button for each motor.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know @Mainah did it. He posted the details. Did you you search this forum? Try using the advanced search function.

Robssewer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have searched everywhere. If it’s the same one I am thinking of by Mainah, I think it was for a newer boat and he used a circuit board, but I could be wrong. I can find posts for boats newer but nothing older with a diagram. It should be fairly simple. A switch for on/acc and a push button for start. I would assume simply switch to off position would stop motor. I basically want to eliminate the key.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m only aware of the one from @Mainah. I’m sure he’s got some ideas so hopefully he’ll post here.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lots of ways to do this. I won’t post up specific instructions as could be used for nefarious purposes (theft/unauthorized use). All of the instructions I have posted require they keys and I won’t go into any specifics that don’t. Sure there are plenty of folks that can figure out how to do this but I don’t intend on helping folks beyond what is already out there. My biggest tip is don’t ignore the need for grounded engine kill. If simply looking to go with a cheaper switch a riding lawnmower or similar switch would likely work if right type and connected correctly as they usually have ground engine kill. Keep in mind aftermarket switches may not be maranized.

Even a aftermarket rfid push button kit(s) could be used (two for twin engines). Substitute throttle lever neutral safety and convert from neg to pos for the “brake” connection. Also ensure to wire correctly for grounded engine kill. Biggest issue is the switches that come with these are large and not waterproof. Not really a standard switch either. I just see too much that could go wrong if a mechanical backup is not also used. Not to mention two buttons needed to press to stop both engines.

My favorite part of my push button start system linked above is the single push button stop that kills both engines (electrically isolated). This can be easily with two directly connected momentary push buttons instead, a single dpdt momentary push button, a single push button and a couple of spdt electrically isolated relays, or a single push button and a dpdt relay. My next favorite is that except when actively cranking or actively killing the engine the system is otherwise passive. This allows for manual usage of the keys (electronics can fail). Third is that the lanyard and clean out hatch safeties still work. Fourth favorite is that the stereo remains on. Finally the system still requires and works with the keys.

I know I said a lot there without providing a specific answer. What I said is intended to help those with the know how to design their own with key things to think about ;-)

Note: I am not producing plug and play push button kits at this time. Life changed for those involved is the reason why.

Good luck.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So Mainah's solution is high tech and very slick, but it includes some additional complexity to ensure it's truly "one press" push start, and the "machine" will keep cranking until it starts. (overly simplified, but hopefully accurate)

Is that what you are looking for? Or did you intend to push the button as a replacement for the key action, but don't need/want all the intelligence that goes with figuring out when to stop cranking?