• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kicker Amp Problem - KXM400.4

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all...Happy New Year!

My amplifier has suddenly started doing a weird thing. I've ruled out speakers/shorting wires/head unit.

Essentially, I switch it on and it causes the cones in all the speakers to jump right out and then in again in a rhythmic pattern like a heartbeat. Any ideas?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does it do it with RCAs unplugged?

If not, unplug one set of speakers at a time to see if it stops.

Then see if it is getting a solid 12v connection at battery and terminals, as well as see if remote 12v is constant.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. It does do it regardless of the state of the RCAs. I think your second suggestion is the correct one. The previous owner must have had the amp installed at one of the dodgy half-arsed dealers in Dubai (I live in Abu Dhabi). And having now traced the power and earth cables, the nice thick ones that are showing at the amp are spliced into the normal head unit power and earth wires! I'm amazed that the amp worked for as long as it did! I shall run new dedicated 8 Gauge wires with a proper fuse direct to the battery and try again!

If I may ask a school-boy question...is there a max length that the earth cable/power cables should be? The reason I ask is that the amp is installed in the helm cabinet, but the batteries are in the rear compartment on the opposite side. So the cables will be around 12 ft long each. Is that a problem?

Thanks,
J.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No problem with length. I would probably go with 4 gauge to future proof your self though.

That is a major issues and I do have concerns the amp was damaged. Fingers crossed it all works out for you.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hope so...thanks so much Adrian...HNY to you and yours :) I'll update what happens...