• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kicker KMC5 radio keeps restarting??? What am I doing incorrect?

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I decided to try and upgrade my factory Jensen radio with the Kicker KMC5 unit but after connecting the 12v (Red) and Ground (black) it powers on and then restarts over and over again. It sometimes powers up for 10-15 seconds, but then kicks back off and reboots.

Do you guys think it's a voltage thing? (it says 12v+ on the screen so should be getting plenty of power) or do I have a defective head unit?

*Please ignore the wire connectors as it's a temporary thing to just see if the unit works before I make it permanent.
**The first photo is of the factory Jensen radio harness.
***The second photo is the Kicker harness that I connected red, black and one set of speaker to test.

Thoughts? Also I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong forum as it should have been posted in the "electronics" one, but I don't see a way to delete!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I decided to try and upgrade my factory Jensen radio with the Kicker KMC5 unit but after connecting the 12v (Red) and Ground (black) it powers on and then restarts over and over again. It sometimes powers up for 10-15 seconds, but then kicks back off and reboots.

Do you guys think it's a voltage thing? (it says 12v+ on the screen so should be getting plenty of power) or do I have a defective head unit?

*Please ignore the wire connectors as it's a temporary thing to just see if the unit works before I make it permanent.
**The first photo is of the factory Jensen radio harness.
***The second photo is the Kicker harness that I connected red, black and one set of speaker to test.

Thoughts? Also I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong forum as it should have been posted in the "electronics" one, but I don't see a way to delete!!!
I'm by no means a stereo guy but 2 thoughts:
A.) One speaker connected to a stereo causes an impedence mismatch (unbalanced load) and the unit may power down sensing that, try after you get the other speaker connected so you have a pair right and left.
2.) If the above does not work you could try to connect the +12vdc and ground directly to a battery to see if you get the same results.

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
ok I tried option "A" as that made sense and it still cycles on and off. I then tested the positive and ground and it reads 14.4v.

I am just going to exchange the unit for another one!

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
ok I tried option "A" as that made sense and it still cycles on and off. I then tested the positive and ground and it reads 14.4v.

I am just going to exchange the unit for another one!
Agree, the 14.4v should be great. Do they have a tech support team? Or where purchased have one?
I went to the Kicker website to see if they had that symptom in troubleshooting (I'm sure you already checked that) didn't see anything as such. That unit does look like a great choice for an upgrade and perhaps add another pair of speakers without adding an amp. Most likely unfortunately I think your correct and have a defective unit.

Last edited:

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Agree, the 14.4v should be great. Do they have a tech support team? Or where purchased have one?
I went to the Kicker website to see if they had that symptom in troubleshooting (I'm sure you already checked that) didn't see anything as such. That unit does look like a great choice for an upgrade and perhaps add another pair of speakers without adding an amp. Most likely unfortunately I think your correct and have a defective unit.
You are correct in that the website did not give much support nor did I find anything via Google. The guy I purchased it from sells a lot of Marie Audio so he tried to help troubleshoot, but we cannot get it to work. e then agreed to just swap out mine with another one!

A third set of speakers is exactly the route I’m going with so that I don’t have to wire up an amp. I’m thinking about placing another set somewhere near the center console so that I can actually hear my music!

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You are correct in that the website did not give much support nor did I find anything via Google. The guy I purchased it from sells a lot of Marie Audio so he tried to help troubleshoot, but we cannot get it to work. e then agreed to just swap out mine with another one!

A third set of speakers is exactly the route I’m going with so that I don’t have to wire up an amp. I’m thinking about placing another set somewhere near the center console so that I can actually hear my music!
I found this interesting for driver listening placement:
Didn't realize there was room in that gunnel.