• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kicker LED Speaker - No Lights

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am working on installing some kicker tower speakers. Looks like according to the documentation that there are four wires coming from the speaker. A black wire connects to the 12v positive wire. Then there are three colored wires to splice to the negative wire to turn on various colors. I am getting sound, but no colors. I’ve tried switching the wires to see if I had something backwards, as well as trying every color combo to see if that did anything. Am I missing something here?

Attachments

Jet Boat Tom

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
The colored wires on the Kicker Speakers are for RGB Lighting. You are correct that the Black wire is 12V Positive, but this has to be ran off a switched 12v power source. Like a courtesy light switch or accessory switch. For different color lights you would hook the ground side to the corresponding color wire you would like.
Black-12V/Blue-Ground = Blue Light
Black-12V/Red-Ground = Red Light
Black-12V/Green-Ground = Green Light
Also you could install a RGB Controller. Then you would be able to change the color/brightness/strobe with a knob.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
After reading the manual closer that makes perfect sense. We don’t do any night boating so the lack of the LED lighting isn’t an issue for me at this point. Thank you for the clarification.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The colored wires on the Kicker Speakers are for RGB Lighting. You are correct that the Black wire is 12V Positive, but this has to be ran off a switched 12v power source. Like a courtesy light switch or accessory switch. For different color lights you would hook the ground side to the corresponding color wire you would like.
Black-12V/Blue-Ground = Blue Light
Black-12V/Red-Ground = Red Light
Black-12V/Green-Ground = Green Light
Also you could install a RGB Controller. Then you would be able to change the color/brightness/strobe with a knob.
Most will also do additional colors by mixing and matching the red, green or blue wires on the ground wire. White is typically achieved by wiring red, green and blue together on the ground. I did this with my tower light rings to see if they would output enough to be useful as additional overhead courtesy lights rather than drill anything else into the tower. Looks like itll be a decent amount of light especially combined with the in boat speakers and speaker rings. Thinking I may still put the tower led rings on a controller or dimmer to be able to adjust brightness. I'm still working on installing the last few speakers and rgb wiring but I'm happy with the results so far. The component speakers are on a rgb controller. The towers are hardwired to white.

20200217_171255.jpg

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was looking at some kicker tower speakers myself with a kicker amp, how was the instal difficultly level? Also have you had a chance to test them out yet? Thanks

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
^rockville amp

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Took the boat out last weekend and it worked great while cruising. I plan on surfing later today and will report back how they sound behind the boat.

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome thank you, how was the instal difficulty level? I haven’t really done much electrical work but consider myself to be pretty handy, also did you instal a amp with the speakers? If so which one?

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Difficulty was very simple. A couple of wires to splice. Other than that it’s just routing wires around the boat. I have a Rockford god gate amp, nothing special but it gets the job done. Can hear the music just fine behind the boat surfing.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thank you, how was the instal difficulty level? I haven’t really done much electrical work but consider myself to be pretty handy, also did you instal a amp with the speakers? If so which one?
Im in the process of putting mine in now. I bought the package deal from Rockville. 2 speakers, Amp, tower cones, and a install kit. Did a majority of the work today in about a hour. I spent about a hour the day before poking around the boat getting a install plan together. I’m waiting on a new harness for the head unit so I can’t tell ya how they sound yet, I also still have to drill the holes in the tower and run the speaker wires. Probably 2-3 hour total job if you take your time. I’m just adding those two speakers to zone 2, I just want a little noise at the sand bar.

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sweet thank you, what was the new harness that you had to buy for it?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet thank you, what was the new harness that you had to buy for it?

I looked up the part number and got it off amazon, came today. I got out of work late but I quickly connected one speaker to the amp just to try it out, seemed to sound pretty good and loud. I’m sure with two and mounted on the tower it will be plenty loud enough to hear the tunes and not have to be right next to the boat. I have no desire to be the loudest boat around with the most badass system, just wanted some tunes tossing around the football at the sandbar, I think these will be plenty fine for that.

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Difficulty was very simple. A couple of wires to splice. Other than that it’s just routing wires around the boat. I have a Rockford god gate amp, nothing special but it gets the job done. Can hear the music just fine behind the boat surfing.
You mind sending the link to what package you got, or which items if you purchased separate?

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This is the package I got, but it looks like it is currently unavailable. Other than this I got 100 ft of amazon basics speaker wire and the rockfard fosgate swivel mounts.

jackson21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you very much! I think that was the exact package I was looking at on the Rockville site!