• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kids...then vs. now

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How true. Those kind of parents probably don't even know who their kids teacher is though.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's why we home schooled for 15 years. Blame the teacher or the parents? With home school they are one and the same.

At 60 years for my wife and 67 years for me we aren't about to home school our recently adopted 4-year-old. He is going to Christian school next year where parents are encouraged to participate in the classroom from time to time.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very true, society for the most part has fallen apart and there is a huge lack of parenting and sense of responsibility. By the way I was born in 1969 :winkingthumbsup"
Ditto

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I take my son to soccer practice every tues and thur, each day I sit on the bench alone by the field watching 10-12 kids out there playing... I understand one lady has a small baby so she sits in her car with the AC on. The rest of them I have no idea where there parents are, sometimes I see another "dad" sitting in his car on the opposite side of the field facing away and staring at his phone the whole time:-/. That same guy, when he comes to the games, sits in a chair and stares at his phone the entire game....people don't know what they are missing!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife is a kindergarten teacher. That cartoon is more non fiction than it is comedy...

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was a high school and jr. high school substitute for about a year and I have a lot of teachers in my family but I've noticed a big swing in the past few years.

Now that my son is in 6th grade almost all of the orientations start with "We are teacher's not baby sitters, it is our job to teach, your children's to learn and your's to make sure they are keeping up with their assignments." When it is time for a parent teacher conference they want my wife and I there along with our son and they expect us to handle the discipline or create corrective action plan during the meeting with us. Blaming the teacher is not even an option since all of the assignments and sometimes the student's current grade is online, accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so, "I didn't know, you didn't tell us" never come up, at least not more than once. Aside from this my son's school district seems more focused on teaching my son how to do well on all of the standardized tests he has to take during the year most of which in someway determine the funding the school gets from the local, state or federal governments. They could care less if he can actually read, write or do basic math, just as long as he does well on the STAR or other tests he is subject to.

I don't blame the teachers, they have to deal with what they get and I know too many that have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets but if you are not involved in your child's education you shouldn't be surprised if you end up with an un or under educated kid that turns into an un or under educated adult.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Blaming is a lost cause. You have to manage the resources at your disposal to get your child a good education just like you have to do for yourself in college and in your professional life. You, your spouse, the teachers, your child...all resources you have to manage to get the most value possible. Just like in life things go wrong sometimes and you have to analyze, course correct and move on.