• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kinetik HC 1800-Blu Battery...is it dead?

MutherTuckersMan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting the boat ready for summer. The boat had sat in storage all winter; batteries were not hooked up to a tenderizer. The house bank comprises of 4 Kinetik HC 1800 Blu batteries. Perco switch was set directly to this bank upon charge. I was able to pull some juice to the stereo but my volt reading was low. A charge had been applied multiple times but to no avail. I disconnected all for batteries and attempted to charge each one separately. Out of the 4, I was able to bring one up to a full charge; the other 3 would not. They would read "bad battery" on the tenderizer and on the portable charger they would read full charge with no volts. I did some research on the new smart battery charges and found that if the battery doesn't pull enough amps the charger will actually kick out. I switched to an old school battery charger to bypass the smart system but no luck. My questions are: 1. Are there any other alternatives I can pursue to try to get these batteries to hold a charge or are they simple junk? 2. Replacement batteries...what does everyone recommend?

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've seen and heard thar radio, I would replace them. You'll want at least group 27 batteries if not bigger to power that thing for a few years. Tell Renee hi.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does the boat have an onboard charger? With that kind of battery bank I would think that you would want one. Having a an onboard charger and keeping it plugged in should extend the life of the batteries.

I would try some sort of desulfating charger to see if it can bring the batteries back. They are AGM batteries. They are not deep cycle. If they are bad you may want to shop around for whatever has the most amp hours per dollar.

MutherTuckersMan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen and heard thar radio, I would replace them. You'll want at least group 27 batteries if not bigger to power that thing for a few years. Tell Renee hi.
I was leaning in the direction of replacement. She says Hey! Thank You.

MutherTuckersMan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the boat have an onboard charger? With that kind of battery bank I would think that you would want one. Having a an onboard charger and keeping it plugged in should extend the life of the batteries.

I would try some sort of desulfating charger to see if it can bring the batteries back. They are AGM batteries. They are not deep cycle. If they are bad you may want to shop around for whatever has the most amp hours per dollar.
We actually do have an onboard charger to install before the new batteries are setup. I will look into the desulfation route.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D, do you remember the pricing on the Duracell AGMs at SAMs?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think it was around $180 each for group 31.